mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2012 Fox 36 TALAS to FLOAT Conversion - Parts Required

I know this has been discussed in detail over the years, but I can't find anything that lists the specific parts required, and nothing for 2012 either, if it matters. I have a 2012 Fox 36 TALAS RLC that I want to convert to FLOAT. Initially I had planned on just buying a 2012 FLOAT from the classifieds, then doing the conversion, and reselling the other fork as a TALAS. However, from what I understand purchasing the parts for the conversion isn't really that expensive, and it'll save me the trouble of buying and selling another fork.

So, what I'd like to know is exactly what parts need to be ordered for the conversion (preferably with part numbers). I know I'll need the FLOAT air shaft assembly (820-02-082-KIT), but I think I'll also need a new topcap assembly, and/or air knob assembly too (not sure which one(s) I need). And is there anything else required? New negative spring plate and retaining ring? Any o-rings specific to the FLOAT?

Thanks in advance.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Just contact Fox and they will know all the parts you need.
    At least that's how it worked for me.

mtbr member
    Sorry for noob question. But why would you want a float vs talas. Isn't the beauty of the talas that you can adjust its height on the fly?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    80% of people don't actually adjust their Talas to start with. It is a bit of added weight, and loads of added maitenance problems. You also get more stiction from the air seals on the Talas than you do on a Float.

mtbr member
    weird, ive really been wanting a talas because of the adjustability. 120 for most of the time, including climbing and for more rough spots i would change it to 150

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You will need the negative spring plate and retaining ring. A new foot nut and crush washer. Top cap. Air shaft assembly. Oil, and I suggest new seals while you have it apart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, those are the parts I figured I'd need. But, why the new foot nut and retaining ring? You'd think those would be the same on both models? In any case, I'm sure those things are very inexpensive. I'll probably just give Fox a call to confirm everything, and to get the part numbers for the stuff I need to order. I'm in Canada, so Fox won't ship to me. I need to go through the Canadian distro instead. And sometimes they're not the most reliable and don't know as much I'd like.

And I won't need to replace the seals, as the fork is brand new, I haven't even opened the box yet. Kind of silly, but I wanted black lowers, so that's why I got the TALAS, fully planning on doing the conversion to FLOAT and lowering internally to 150 or 140.

I have owned 3 different 36 TALAS forks now, and I used to use the travel adjust, but never do anymore. I've recently tried a FLOAT and it does feel better than the TALAS. Plus alot simpler (and lighter), less things to go wrong. I've had the TALAS assembly break on me, and I've had it all apart, it is pretty complicated and difficult to fix. Not really much to go wrong with the FLOAT spring though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
    I have owned 3 different 36 TALAS forks now, and I used to use the travel adjust, but never do anymore. I've recently tried a FLOAT and it does feel better than the TALAS. Plus alot simpler (and lighter), less things to go wrong. I've had the TALAS assembly break on me, and I've had it all apart, it is pretty complicated and difficult to fix. Not really much to go wrong with the FLOAT spring though.

my issue is i only need 120mm for my everyday trails local to me, but in the summer time i'll be going to big bear and mammoth for my free ride/ dh and would like the extra travel i can get out of a 120/150mm talas.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in how this turns out. I may do the same conversion to my 2011 Talas. Are you doing the work yourself or going through a shop?
    Transition Covert|Transition Bandit|Transition TR450

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Doing the work myself. Getting the parts through my shop. I just spoke to my shop and told them to order in all the parts I'll need after they confirm it with the distributor. Cost was about $70. Haven't actually done the conversion yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi there can anyone help?
    Can I swap parts to make my 2011 fox 32 f120 forks to 140mm
    By swapping parts with fox 2010 fox 32 talas 140
    To build Into f140mm ?
    Will it work or what do I need to check to find out?

Would be grate full for any help

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Doing the work myself. Getting the parts through my shop. I just spoke to my shop and told them to order in all the parts I'll need after they confirm it with the distributor. Cost was about $70. Haven't actually done the conversion yet.
    Usually it's cheaper and easier to just buy the parts direct from Fox.

The fork may be new, but it's still a good time to install Enduro seals, since they'll do a much better job keeping the dirt out and oil in. Also, don't forget the Fox 36 requires an oil bath change every 30 riding hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Usually it's cheaper and easier to just buy the parts direct from Fox.

The fork may be new, but it's still a good time to install Enduro seals, since they'll do a much better job keeping the dirt out and oil in. Also, don't forget the Fox 36 requires an oil bath change every 30 riding hours.
    Agreed, however I'm in Canada, and Fox will not sell directly to me (believe me, I've tried!). They force me to go through the distributor. My shop has a good relationship with the distributor, hence why I'm going through the shop.

And, I've been running Fox forks for years, and have never had a problem with the stock seals. Especially this new fork with the updated SKF low friction seals, I will definitely not be switching them out for Enduros. Enduros may keep more dirt out, but they also cause alot more stiction. I just make sure to service often and then there's no problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Enduros may keep more dirt out, but they also cause alot more stiction. I just make sure to service often and then there's no problem.
    Only the older ones, as the newest generation have virtually identical stiction to Fox seals, but I understand.

mtbr member
    I ordered my parts for the conversion from Fox yesterday. Everything came out to $90 shipping included.

mtbr member
    Any conversion updates? Fox has the top caps on backorder so I'm stuck waiting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    iIjust bought that.. What the guy did for the conversion ? w.w.w.pinkbike.com/buysell/683654/

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post

my issue is i only need 120mm for my everyday trails local to me, but in the summer time i'll be going to big bear and mammoth for my free ride/ dh and would like the extra travel i can get out of a 120/150mm talas.
    You could get a couple 20 mil spacers for day to day riding then pop them out for mammoth.

That is my plan for my talas soon to be float when I bounce between northern Utah and Moab.

(if you have a 2012 or later I have a 120/160 talas cartridge for you)
    LS
    Last edited by LuckySomer; 06-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to convert my '10 talas 140 to float for a while but haven't been able to find instructions. I really don't want to screw it up and be forkless. Does anybody have instructions on doing the conversion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dhshuttlemonkey View Post
    I ordered my parts for the conversion from Fox yesterday. Everything came out to $90 shipping included.
    Bit of a grave dig on this thread but I have a 2011 Talas 36 RLC - anyone able to enlighten me of the weight saving on a conversion to Float. Weighing this up vs selling the fork for a Float or Talas 34 but not wanting to go steeper on HA than my current setup. Also been told my Cane Creek Angleset won't work on a taper steerer on a full 2 degree offset.

mtbr member
    you will end up with a tad lighter fork but the weight difference isnt much of a reason people do this conversion. i just ordered parts through my lbs, it came out to $95. this is for 160mm 36 talas rlc fit conversion. cant wait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The lighter weight and reduced maintenance are just side benefits. The real reasons to do it are because it works better and doesn't break.

mtbr member
    does anyone have the old 2012 TALAS guts from their conversion? I need a lower seal assembly, the part with the black bolt not the red knob.
    walkPABA

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy pendergrass View Post
    does anyone have the old 2012 TALAS guts from their conversion? I need a lower seal assembly, the part with the black bolt not the red knob.
    I have a couple of them. Where do you live?
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    I have a couple of them. Where do you live?
    I'm right outside Charlotte NC. I'll definitely take one off your hands. This is the piece right?

walkPABA

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy pendergrass View Post
    I'm right outside Charlotte NC. I'll definitely take one off your hands. This is the piece right?

I just went out to check on my old Talas parts and I must have tossed them out awhile back and had forgotten. I don't have them anymore.
    Didn't think I would need them anymore. Sorry!
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium