mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2011 Fuel EX rear coil shock? Dumb?

I'm buying a Fuel EX 9 or 9.8. Haven't decided for or against carbon.

I want to put a coil shock on it. DHX RC4 to be exact. Is this a bad idea? On paper it makes sense to me. I can adjust low speed compression to create the platform that the RP23 has and if I understand the DRVC in how it operates, it essentially makes the suspension even less progressive. I've ridden the EX 9 and I'm not sure I like that. When I dial the RP23 in for me it feels harsh and wallows mid stroke. I want it to be more plush.

Now before anyone says "It can't be done". It very well can. With a non DRCV Evo link, which I have.

Now I'm no suspension expert and I have no idea if the spring characteristics of a coil would work well with a split pivot design. I've searched and there was a guy who put a coil on his Remedy which is essentially the same bike with more travel, but he is a downhiller.

IMO Air shocks aren't "better" than coil. Just different. For some reason the cycling community has coil shocks pegged as inferior. Just like Fox did when I asked in a F36 Van could be taken down to 120-140mm of travel.

Is this a bad call?

mtbr member
    The biggest thing is to make sure that what ever shock you put on is tuned for your bike. If you just buy the first RC4 you can find, it may not be right for the bike. Most shock makers have 3 preset factory tunes, and then there are the countless custom tunes you can get. Long story short make sure whatever you get new is set up correctly for the bike or you may be no better off than before.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by denjen
    The biggest thing is to make sure that what ever shock you put on is tuned for your bike. If you just buy the first RC4 you can find, it may not be right for the bike. Most shock makers have 3 preset factory tunes, and then there are the countless custom tunes you can get. Long story short make sure whatever you get new is set up correctly for the bike or you may be no better off than before.
    +1...

And that is never more true for the Trek Full Floaters...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....