Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Got my F29 back with a new upper assembly and while they were at it, replaced seals and wipers with a lowers service. No charge and no creaking after the first few rides.

Yay Fox!
    BOOOO Fox! And the saga continues. After having my fork back for not even 2 months with a new upper assembly and maybe, maybe 100 miles on it (I ride my SS ht and rigid bikes more in the winter months), it's back to creaking at the same stanchion-to-crown interface.

If Fox CS won't offer a whole new fork or a completely redesigned upper for a fix and wants to send me an RA for more of the same, I'm gonna pass, ride the piss out of this thing and replace it with a Reba when it blows.

This may be my last Fox fork.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by travman View Post
    I have a 2012 and it has no creaking at all, least so far anyway.
    My '12 F29 120 RLC has 300 miles on it and is already creaking.......
    My '10 F29 120 RL went like 1500 miles before it started and has been quiet since they replaced the uppers, but it's only had a couple hundred miles since........

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Crazy.. The LBS's word of advice for me about single crowns was this, "There's 2 kinds of forks. Forks that creak, and Forks that are gonna creak." I talked to my LBS and that's what he said. He said ALOT of the new 2011 Fox's that they sold New aftermarket and on complete bike builds are coming back in spades with creaking. He said they go to Fox, come back fixxed, and then come back again 4-6 mos later. Especially the 20mm tapered forks 100-160mm. He said that the Fox guys told them "The new forks are being made so stiff now that guys are really beating on them until eventually something's gotta give. They're press fit and so there's not much they can do about making them stronger, They told me to try spraying a LITTLE penetrating oil into the press fit seal every couple months to get rid of the noise" ....... I did do this and 5 mins into my ride, the noise was gone. It was gone for about 2 weeks and eventually came back, So now I have a spray can of penetrating oil in my Bike tool Box. We'll see how long this works. Probably till a fork leg pops completly thru. OHHHH, the best part is this, I bought mine on EBAY so , they wont cover the re press fitting if I need it. It will cost me 300.00.
    Last edited by bryantaber; 03-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

4 times

Well, last week I sent my 36 back for the 4th time in 9 months. Strangely though I'm not upset about the situation at all because Fox is quick, their customer service is great, and they always get me back up and riding in a week.

Their manager said they will use my most recent creaker in a study they are doing to understand the issue causing this problem. They are also upgrading me to a brand new 36 Float RLC with the Kashima coat. He said the Kashima forks use a thermal fit method for securing the stantions rather than press fit so the idea is that the Kashima forks will be less susceptible to creaking.

I am pretty stoked to be on a new fork here soon!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman View Post
    Their manager said they will use my most recent creaker in a study they are doing to understand the issue causing this problem. They are also upgrading me to a brand new 36 Float RLC with the Kashima coat. He said the Kashima forks use a thermal fit method for securing the stantions rather than press fit so the idea is that the Kashima forks will be less susceptible to creaking.

I see a new 34 in my future, courtesy of Fox, of course...
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I see a new 34 in my future, courtesy of Fox, of course...
    Here's hoping Kashima is the methadone to our crack problem

mtbr member
    Maybe the assembly of the 34's with kashima is better than the 32's?
    My '12 32's creak desite their kashima....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Don't you mean MethaGone to the "Creak" epidemic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Heat

Pre Heat treating a press fit,hmmmm. If Fox is able to figure out something that can be adapted industry wide that would be sweet. Hopefully a couple years from now , this issue will have been dealt with and we'll have moved on to some other growing pain . Why is it that the sound of creak has the Ability to bring the ride/ fun level from a 9 to a 6 eventhough nothing is really hindering the bike's performance? Maybe I should start riding with an ipod more to drown out the sound. That'll get ride of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow... Just stumbled across this thread. My 2011 Float 32 rl is on its second trip to Fox for the creaking. Funny how LBS or Fox made no mention of this being an ongoing issue???

I am insisting a new fork if it happens again. The first trip to fox took almost 4 weeks to accomplish the fix.... NOT good. Second creak began after only 4 rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Qaulity Control??

Well since I was told by X Fusion Tech support that the 150-160 36mm forks on AM bikes are the ones in the greatest danger of developing a creak, I accepted the logic behind it, even though I thought it was shitty. I thought, "Oh well, they'll figure it out in a year or 2 and then make a ton of dough on "the new and improved" generation of forks." But now since lower travel forks on less agressive bikes are turning up creakey, I am thinking that maybe it's a quality control issue since last I heard that Fox and X Fusion were using the same Taiwanese manufaturer. Ive not heard any mention of late that Totems or Lyrics are suffering from a rash of creaks. I had an RS Totem for 2 years and it was sound the day I sold it. Just a hunch.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman View Post
    He said the Kashima forks use a thermal fit method for securing the stantions rather than press fit so the idea is that the Kashima forks will be less susceptible to creaking.

I hate to tell you this, my 36 FLoat is a Kashima FIT RLC and it has had the uppers replaced twice in 5 months due to creaking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I hate to tell you this, my 36 FLoat is a Kashima FIT RLC and it has had the uppers replaced twice in 5 months due to creaking.
    Me to. 32 talas and float kashima. Sold em both. Now have a Rev and a lyrik and no probs.

mtbr member
    I have some 2007 fox float 36 160mm travel forks they don't make any creaking noises???? Is it just the newer ones?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I'm on my 3rd set of uppers for my 36 Van 180 Kashima's and they've started creaking again after a few weeks, if anything the replacements last less time than the originals.

Mojo (Fox's warranty repairers here in the UK) would only replace them if I paid for a service as they're well out of warranty, but did say they should'nt fail due to the creaking, I'm gonna be going back to Marzocchi fairly soon........

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think you are right, It does seem to be new ones. The LBS told me that alot of 2011 stock 32 and 36's that come on the Spesh and SanatCruz AM's sold in house are getting warrantied. They must have used a new manufacturer or fabricator along the line because I know they don't do it in house. I am gonna seriously consider a RS this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by travo View Post
    I'm on my 3rd set of uppers for my 36 Van 180 Kashima's and they've started creaking again after a few weeks, if anything the replacements last less time than the originals.

Mojo (Fox's warranty repairers here in the UK) would only replace them if I paid for a service as they're well out of warranty, but did say they should'nt fail due to the creaking, I'm gonna be going back to Marzocchi fairly soon........
    I experienced the same thing. The replacements started creaking almost right away...

I dont know about going back to Marzocchi.... Thats kind of like threatening fox that you are going to **** your pants instead of using their product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just sent a fork in to fox this week for creaking. took the fork off and wheel out. slapped some bars and stem on the fork and it creaks. tested the bars and stem on a loaner fork, no creak

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No creaking on the new 2012 Kashima Float RLC fox sent me... yet but I've only put a few rides on it. After 5 forks in a single year being sent back to warranty I wouldn't be surprised if it starts happening again.

I wish we knew what they were doing different on these newer forks since my old '08 36 lasted years without even a hint of creakiness.

LCW
    mtbr member
    This is somewhat disturbing... I have a new (close out) 2011 float 32 coming... Hope it doesn't creek
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

moaaar shimz
    What steerer tube sizes do you guys have? Perhaps the 1 1/8th steerers are very prone to creaking compared to tapered or full 1.5.

mtbr member
    ^ I have 1 1/8" and zero noise. 2011 Fox Float 36.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    All my creakers have been tapered steer tubes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i have a 36 vanilla with a 1.5" straight steerer tube. super creaky. moved to a lyrik and have never been happier.
    PM me for a good time

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    What steerer tube sizes do you guys have? Perhaps the 1 1/8th steerers are very prone to creaking compared to tapered or full 1.5.
    Taper here x3. Wanting to try the 1 1/8

Not 100% sure, but i'm guessing part of the problem has to do with the lowers/axle interface on damper leg. Threaded brake side is much more secure, can't torque the clamp bolts too much
    Last edited by Deerhill; 04-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast