Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hello mtbr fellows,my 2011 1 1/8 QR9 100mm terralogic starts cracking noise a month ago.I couldnt think that the fork might be problem so I disassemble its part of my hardtail and built it again.Some parts twice...In the end today I take off the front wheel and start pushing in and out the stallions with my hands.The sound was worse than it sounds when I ride oooohhhh.After I found this topic.I just return at home from the LBS that I bought it and they said that they gonna change the stallions but they have to see if there is any spare part available....Pitty...terralogic rocks!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I threw grease allmost in each part.Also I replaced the QR with another pair to check...It is definitely the stalions.I hope to be lucky and I wont have problem again after the replacement.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    anyone ever find a solution to this?

I'm on my 3rd fork and it has started to creak as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw View Post

I'm on my 3rd fork and it has started to creak as well.
    Keep sending it in and get the CSU replaced.

So far Fox has been great with customer service for me. I purchased a 180 Float in 2011. They replaced it with a 2012. Sent the 2012 in with the invoice from when it was sent to me. (2nd year from original purchase of 2011) They replaced the CSU on the 2012.

It seems like it takes about 10 to 20 good rides before the CSU starts creaking for me. Just keep the box to send it back.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw View Post
    Yep. Get the CSU replaced and the fork serviced and sell it. Take the money and buy a RockShox. Or Manitou. Or something else that is not so overrated and overpriced.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

J:
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Poor 36 van

Been having a new problem, after having the original 2011 lowers fitted to four different uppers (warrantied due to creaking crown and/or stanchion), now there's play in the lowers and the bushings knock....This is a real bummer, I was getting some great performance out of it this year..Anyone dealt with this problem yet?

Has anyone had the complete fork replaced under warranty (or everything minus the damper)?

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Been having a new problem, after having the original 2011 lowers fitted to four different uppers (warrantied due to creaking crown and/or stanchion), now there's play in the lowers and the bushings knock....This is a real bummer, I was getting some great performance out of it this year..Anyone dealt with this problem yet?

Has anyone had the complete fork replaced under warranty (or everything minus the damper)?
    I just serviced my 2010 F29 which is on it's 2nd upper (about to go in for it's 3rd then onto Craigslist) and have play in the spring side. The bushings look fine and there is no excessive wear on the stanchions.

If they send me a complete replacement fork, Kashima and all, it still will not see my bike but will be going down the road. Time for a competitor's fork.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Yep. Get the CSU replaced and the fork serviced and sell it. Take the money and buy a RockShox. Or Manitou. Or something else that is not so overrated and overpriced.
    Good advice, exactly what I did, after getting the uppers replaced for the 3rd time on my 180 Kashima Vans I sold the fork and replaced with a Marz 55 evo ti and couldn't be happier, better warranty, loads cheaper, no creaks!!! (well, so far) and actually feels like a much better fork too. Marzocchi are definitly back on form with these forks.

J:
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Chassis is too light, imo they've passed the limit of these materials

I just serviced my 2010 F29 which is on it's 2nd upper (about to go in for it's 3rd then onto Craigslist) and have play in the spring side. The bushings look fine and there is no excessive wear on the stanchions.

If they send me a complete replacement fork, Kashima and all, it still will not see my bike but will be going down the road. Time for a competitor's fork.
    My problem is that the CSU is nice and solid, silent... finally. I just serviced mine too, there's no wear at all on my stanchion either, bushings look fine too

It's just all that down time, not being able to ride with these (when I have time to ride)... and now seems like the lowers are beginning to fail, axle gets a tad loose every couple rides and now with this play in the bushings/knocking... fork didn't even last through 2012 and not sure if they'll even cover this.. think you may be right

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep. Get the CSU replaced and the fork serviced and sell it.
    If it's a recurring problem, then pity the poor bastard who ends up with them!

I bought 2011 Vanilla RL (140mm travel, 1 1/8 steerer, 32mm stanchions, 9mm QR) off rotorburn a month or so ago, and they started creaking after the 3rd or 4th ride, so I don't think the previous owners knowingly sold me a creaky fork, but it's not a sound you want to hear on essentially new forks (they were in mint condition). Just glad I only paid $380 for them.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by si618 View Post
    If it's a recurring problem, then pity the poor bastard who ends up with them!
    Doesn't really matter. Even with the full disclosure I would offer up, most are happy to have the Fox sticker on the lower. And the fork works as well as it ever has. Just noisy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yesterday I received the ''overhalled'' fork.The fact is that I saw a difference in stallion and steerer color in addition with the old one.The LBS store guy told me that this time used a stalion for 100-120mm and nor a 80-100mm like before.
    I ask him to tell me what is going to happen if the problem starts again and he said that they going to replace the hall fork with a new 2013 model...Lets see!!!

moaaar shimz

J:
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was assured it wouldn't affect performance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Kashima Stallion!!!!!!!!
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hello everyone!may I ask what kind of creak do you guys hear on your fork. My fork, van 36 160 2011 creaks SOMETIMES when I bomb the fork hard, pull the front brake ONCE and after that the creaks is gone. It sometimes creaks too when rolling over humps. Like I said, this does not happen everytime. Only when I do those things. I saw the video of a member here turning the bike upside down and turning the fork left and right while stepping on the handlebar. I tried it too but the fork did not creak.I hope its not my headset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi LGavin,if it has to do with that,it might be on the begining. My fork was a 32 and its less stiff than van,but until I found what was the problem I have mentioned the same noise when I press the front brake and also crack when I was stand up and pedaling. Also when I was rolling without pedaling and push right and left the bar rapidly,I could hear the noise. Try something else. Take off your front wheel and grab the stalions with your hands. Then start pulling them in and out. When I did that in my gork screaming really horrible,worst from when I ride....

moaaar shimz
    Creaky stallions

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Good job!

Doesn't really matter. Even with the full disclosure I would offer up, most are happy to have the Fox sticker on the lower. And the fork works as well as it ever has. Just noisy.
    Not sure I follow you, since your previous comment was:

...If they send me a complete replacement fork, Kashima and all, it still will not see my bike but will be going down the road. Time for a competitor's fork.
    Anyway, I took the loctite 290 option and the creak is 95% fixed, only a very minor noise now. Applied crown to stanchion interface (under and above), as well as the crown to steerer interface, jiggled and wiggled, left overnight...amazing difference! I won't be scaring the magpies and koalas so much now Still good after some solid runs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Last year, after I noticed annoying creaking noise (when applying front brake) from my 2010 F32 RLC, I lubed right stanchion/crown junction with WD40. After lubing there wasn't any noise. Few weeks after, I read Null's advice. I confirm everything he had written. Even now, year after, everything is perfect, without any lubing meanwhile, or stanchion movement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2012 Van 36 160 1.5 Taper. Started creaking after about 5 months. Warranted. Now 3 months later it's creaking again and go back for warranty replacement again. Really tired of this hassle...I had at least 3 Van 36's prior to this through the years and aside from a blown bladder in 2006, never an issue. Really disappointed in these Kashimas.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    On my 4th creaking CSU...I'm going to have to say that there's an issue here. They've either gone too thin on material to save weight or the Kashima is too slippery and isnt sealing tight enough in the Crown.

Either way it's annoying and dissapointing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any update guys? Did the loctite 290 trick actually work for anyone?

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cherouvim View Post
    Any update guys? Did the loctite 290 trick actually work for anyone?

thanks
    I never tried the loctite trick but I'm on my 7th or 8th upper in almost two years. It's pretty preditable by now, I know about when they'll start creaking, what it sounds like, and when to send them back. 5 or 6 days after shipping it I get it back. Wham bam, quick turn around, good service. It'd be nice if the fork didn't creak, but then again I wouldn't be getting an oil change and new seals every few months either!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman View Post
    I never tried the loctite trick but I'm on my 7th or 8th upper in almost two years. It's pretty preditable by now, I know about when they'll start creaking, what it sounds like, and when to send them back. 5 or 6 days after shipping it I get it back. Wham bam, quick turn around, good service. It'd be nice if the fork didn't creak, but then again I wouldn't be getting an oil change and new seals every few months either!
    That's how I see it.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yup, read my comment above, creak is completely gone in mine now after a few applications of 290 to both crown to steerer and crown to stanchion (above and below). FWIW I also have the newer fox CTD fork (150mm) and no creak in those, so they might have fixed it, although the CTD cartridge did get warrantied.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Bought a used F32-100 RL and got the click after the first ride through a forrest Sending it back to FOX is not an option so I will try the DIY solution ... hope it works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just sent in my 2012 34 160 talas that had creaking verified by the fox tent at the SC bike festival. Sent it in Monday and it's already done today, I'm super impressed with Fox service so far! (well we'll see what I get when it comes back).

mtbr member
    Last edited by jedenton; 04-27-2013 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Got my fork back super quick, and no creak so far. We'll see how it holds up!

mtbr member
    I have a long-travel 36mm single-crown fork from another manufacturer. I recently sent it in to them to address a creaking issue. I was expecting it to come back with a new CSA, but instead, i found they had done a "locktite rebuild" (their words), instead of replacing it. There is a substantial ring of blueish-green semi-hardend gel around the stanchion tubes where they meet the crown. There is nothing around the steerer-tube to crown interface.

This "rebuild" seems to have eliminated the creaking when i test the fork in a repair stand. I'll be riding it tomorrow, we'll see how it holds up on the trail

Anyone else had this done from the factory? I cannot tell if they did anything to clean out what may have gotten into the assembly.

LCW
    mtbr member

2011 fox forks creaking/cracking noise

Sounds more like a band-aid hack job to me - but if it gets rid of your creak...

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Sounds more like a band-aid hack job to me - but if it gets rid of your creak...
    Yea, I was a bit surprised. But, it now makes me think more about the cause of the noise; is it an inevitable issue caused by contamination & the nature of the press fit system, or a more serious manufacturing/safety issue.

To date, I've owned a fork from RS, Manitou, and X-Fusion, and they've all developed creaking/cracking noises. The exception to this is my RS Argyle, though it doesn't have a front brake and is just ridden on the street/park.

mtbr member
    My fork was ~90% better on my most recent ride. My shock's lower bushing is worn out and creaking, so it was hard to isolate any possible noises originating from just the front end of the bike. From looking at my fork and pictures online, I'm fairly sure that this is also a loctite 290 job.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well......I have another creaking CSU.......that's 5 now, over two different Fox Forks. Seems like every 3-4 months it comes back.

2 options:

Send it in and get it replaced again?

Try the Loctite?...already did the oil, helped for one ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, my fox 32 rl that had a change of CSU for a Kashima one is creaking again. It is going back soon to Fox benelux for a fix.
    I'm almost at the end of the warranty period of 2 years. I'm wandering what i'm gonna do now? Would fox fix the csu creaking after the warranty period because it's a hidden defect?
    Is it a better idea to sell this one when it comes back from warranty and replace it by another brand?
    Which fork manufacturer does non creaking forks? It's a bit tricky because the fork is on a Trek Superfly so it's a 51mm offset...

Thanks for your input ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Although I had got the loctite 290 to try the trick mentioned earlier in this thread I never did it cause the fox dealer of the country I live in replaced the CSU for free. The fork was on its 13th month of life. Initially I thought that the warantee was 12 months but they told me that in Europe it is 24 months. I also got to do a full service (paid) which was due.

The new CSU is noise free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Suffered creaks same as the video posted here before on my bike with these forks, 1 f29 on my rip9 and 1 vanrc2 on my 5spot. And it turned out that the forks are not the issue. Its the headset. My mechanic wrapped teflon tape on the bearing cups then pressed it and boom! The creak is gone! Feels so good riding hearing nothing but the birds chirping.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Suffered creaks same as the video posted here before on my bike with these forks, 1 f29 on my rip9 and 1 vanrc2 on my 5spot. And it turned out that the forks are not the issue. Its the headset. My mechanic wrapped teflon tape on the bearing cups then pressed it and boom! The creak is gone! Feels so good riding hearing nothing but the birds chirping.
    Good to hear.....unfortunately that isn't the case for most of us.

Fox hasn't been replacing all these CSU's because they are feeling charitable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    my fork has had a change of csu and was put back in the bike by my lbs, one week turnover not bad, this was the second time now. In October my two years warranty runs out, so i hope it's fixed for good now! Even so, my lbs told me that it would be possible that fox would fix it for free if it start again after the warranty... We'll see...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    40 days after the new CSU (20 rides) it started creaking again. DAMN! :/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My 2013 float 100 29er forks are making noise, does anybody have the same experience with there 2013 forks?

DM

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow! I dropped my fork off at Fox on Weds (two days ago) and it arrived back today UPS. Granted I only live 35min from Fox but hey. I will have it on and tested this eve and only had Wed and Thurs that I didn't ride. I know they are not always able to turn around this fast but still, sometimes god smiles even when I haven't had a beer.
    Last edited by Mathrips; 06-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Saying "My forks are making noise" is like saying "My car is making a noise". I think you are going to have to be a little more specific.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry, The thread is about creaking / cracking noises. My question is: Has anybody had issues of "creaking / cracking" noises with the 2013 fox float 29er frorks?

DM

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by cherouvim View Post
    40 days after the new CSU (20 rides) it started creaking again. DAMN! :/
    Mine is now doing it again as well . . . I haven't been back to this thread in a while, but has anyone had any luck with Fox fixing them again? I'm well out of warranty at this point.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Mine is now doing it again as well . . . I haven't been back to this thread in a while, but has anyone had any luck with Fox fixing them again? I'm well out of warranty at this point.
    I believe that 2015's Fox forks will come with ear plugs to silence the fork and previous year warranties will get the same fix.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    I believe that 2015's Fox forks will come with ear plugs to silence the fork and previous year warranties will get the same fix.
    I think my next fork is gonna be a RS . . . never ridden one and I'm sure it too will have its own problems, but hopefully it'll ride a little nicer.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I think my next fork is gonna be a RS . . . never ridden one and I'm sure it too will have its own problems, but hopefully it'll ride a little nicer.
    I've had a couple of their big bike forks which worked ok, but RS overall feel (inluding avid/truvativ products) always give me a "made in china" impression...ie. cheap!!

But who knows maybe I'll give them ago again too.....

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    I've had a couple of their big bike forks which worked ok, but RS overall feel (inluding avid/truvativ products) always give me a "made in china" impression...ie. cheap!!

But who knows maybe I'll give them ago again too.....
    I know what you mean about the RS/Avid/Truvativ feel . . . my experiences exactly. I've never run a RS fork though so have no idea.

A buddy just picked up an X-Fusion Vengeance HLR . . . out of the box, it looks great and is SILLY plush. Depending on his experiences, I might be easily swayed to try one of their forks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast