Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Fox took a month to get me my 2010 Talas back. The replacement crowns were back ordered which caused the delay. If you are past 1 year but less than 2 years from purchase, Fox will replace the crown but charge you for a rebuild of $175. Hoping for Kashima stanctions on replacement crown, but told the thread pitch is different. Does this sound right? It does have less stiction though with the new style seals though. Wish I had just done the 290 locktite, as it sucked riding my wife's Rockhopper for the last month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Also sucks to cough up $175.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonynapalm View Post
    The fox float32rl on my Trek Superfly AL elite was creaking so it was sent back to fox on warranty a week ago. Today i got my bike back and no more creaking

I'm not exactly sure what they did but i think they changed the crown because the white on it is not the same that in the bottoms(not as shiny) and they changed one of the stanchions because i can see a slight difference of color between the two (the left one is darker)

I thought they would change the whole CSU and so i asked my lbs to cut the tube 5 cm longer to get my bar higher but no luck fox put back the "old" one...

One thing i'm not so happy about is that the lockout lever is not as thight as it used to be, so it makes a light clinging noise when i ride on a rought surface... Is this normal?
    Ok, i told my lbs i wasn't happy about the warranty ( crown not shiny, lockout lever scratched and loose, scratch on top nut), so they called the fox distributor (here in Belgium it's Sabma) and they are ordering a white shiny crown from Fox in USA, it's a specific model made for Trek (G2 geometry) but it will take weeks to arrive... And hopefully they will fix the other issues...

I'll keep you updated

11 is one louder than 10
    Well, I had the creaky crown again after a month on a new fork, but I will say Fox was outstanding in taking care of me.

Downside was that 3 of my last 4 Fox Front Forks have developed the creaking (though 1 of my last 2 Rock Shox did the same).

I'm 195lbs, so while big I'm not huge. Don't jump much.

That said Fox was excellent in taking care of me. VERY fast turnaround, steerer was cut and they even did a travel change for me at the same time. I have to say at least Fox allows you the consumer to deal directly with them, whereas Rock Shox makes you deal with the dealer. Huge difference for me.

So, while I sure wish the MFG's would figure out these creaky crowns and stanchions, I can say Fox was very easy to deal with, and had an excellent turnaround time for me. They were great about it.

I pretty much will only deal with companies that let me deal directly with them if I can at all do so. I still ride grip shift, so that's SRAM, but honestly those parts are insanely durable and trouble free.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Your killing my Strava
    My 2011 Float 36 160 is off to fox for the same noise too
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2011 Float 160 RLC suck, no wonder they're gone. I just flipped mine over and sprayed some Jig A Loo in there lol. Creak gone, and hucking huge drops no issues. If you want a much better fork go 160 Van hands down, hard to find now though.

mtbr member

290 green Locktite

Does anyone know where to buy the Locktite 290 Green? I have checked multiple automotive stores and they only carry red and blue. Would rather not purchase online.

Thanks,
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy the Locktite 290 Green? I have checked multiple automotive stores and they only carry red and blue. Would rather not purchase online.

Thanks,
    Any reason why?

Amazon.com: Loctite 37423 290 Green Penetrating Threadlocker Tube - 6 ml: Automotive

I'm actually quite the opposite, I prefer to do most of my shopping online, beats driving around to stores only to find a limited selection, or nothing at all.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Now on my 3rd set of uppers since starting this thread, just got my 36's back from Mojo (uk service/warranty) They replaced the CSU for free whilst servicing them and I can't fault the service from Mojo's, forks look like new, they've even put the latest stickers and now have the later uppers with the Kashima writing on them.

Now I've just got the dilemma whether to stick with the fox's knowing they'll more than likely start creaking again in a few months or sell the now new shiny looking fox's and buy some marz 55 rc3 evo's (3 year no service warranty), just not sure if I could live with an all white fork though.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did you have kashima on the previous stanchions or is it an update from regular?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep, the original and all previous replacement uppers we're kashima coated, the earlier ones didn't have 'kashima' written on them, think it's a 2012 thing

Your killing my Strava
    Just got my fork back from Fox, to my surprise I was given a brand new 2013 Float 36. This one has the FIT system, high and low speed compression adjustment.I was very surprised
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    How bad was the creaking on your guy's forks? I have a 2011 F29 Talas that has had a little click for a while, but on todays ride it came to a new level. I kept checking my bike to see if something was broke, I could feel the click through my handle grips. I checked my spokes and they seem good. I did have a wheel bearing that was a little rough, so I have those on order. I am able to produce a series of clicks/ticks by tugging on lowers...I am assuming it is time to contact Fox.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I am able to produce a series of clicks/ticks by tugging on lowers...I am assuming it is time to contact Fox.
    Yep. Mine is on its second upper assembly and this one clicks/creaks/ticks in both the stanchion/crown and steer tube/crown interfaces. Started doing so 3 mos after they installed the new upper.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

b a n n e d
    I can't believe I havent seen this thread until now. I've noticed a creak in the front end of my bike since shortly after buying it and this is exactly what the problem is . . . I just assumed to "deal with it."

The bike will be 2 years old next month. I better hurry!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Yep. Mine is on its second upper assembly and this one clicks/creaks/ticks in both the stanchion/crown and steer tube/crown interfaces. Started doing so 3 mos after they installed the new upper.
    2012 service ?

Had this one since mid Dec. and performance has been great. And the seals are better too. The 2011 crown's would've been creaking by now

b a n n e d
    So I just called and was told that its NOT a safety issue, but that it IS something that I need to get done. They told me 3 weeks in house time

Sounds like some folks have had faster service than this? They did not mention anything about a rebuild cost by the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    So I just called and was told that its NOT a safety issue, but that it IS something that I need to get done. They told me 3 weeks in house time

Sounds like some folks have had faster service than this? They did not mention anything about a rebuild cost by the way.
    My service was one week but it was in winter, off peak riding for many. They were not as busy.

Also, you may be able to pay $20 extra to jump to the front of the line just behind others that coughed up $20 but ahead of those that did not. It may be worth it.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    2012 service ?
    November 2011
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    My service was one week but it was in winter, off peak riding for many. They were not as busy.

Also, you may be able to pay $20 extra to jump to the front of the line just behind others that coughed up $20 but ahead of those that did not. It may be worth it.
    I might do that. I have a trip planned at the end of August that I have to have the bike ready for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oh crap I also have this creaking/cracking noise on my 2011 FIT RL 140 mm too...

Bike is still under 1 year. I'm afraid to lose it for a while as I'm in Canada...
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I sent in a 140mm 32 Float RL last week and was told that the service department had reached their goal of two-day turn around times on these warranty services. Over the past year I sent my 36 back 6 or 7 times (lost count) for creaking crowns and every time the turn around was less than one week. Maybe the 32s are taking longer?

On the plus side, Fox said they have a tentative solution to the creaking issue which they'll be rolling out asap. Fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That is good news... what's the fix, loctite?

I've also noticed shorter turn around each time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman View Post
    I sent in a 140mm 32 Float RL last week and was told that the service department had reached their goal of two-day turn around times on these warranty services. Over the past year I sent my 36 back 6 or 7 times (lost count) for creaking crowns and every time the turn around was less than one week. Maybe the 32s are taking longer?

On the plus side, Fox said they have a tentative solution to the creaking issue which they'll be rolling out asap. Fingers crossed!
    I am hoping the fix involves replacing my steerer/stanchions and not just dumping some loctite in there. I could of done that myself. My dream is they send me a new fork, but I would be happy with a quiet one and some new seals. I just dropped my Talas F29 in the mail today, I will let you guys know the results.

b a n n e d
    I am hoping the fix involves replacing my steerer/stanchions and not just dumping some loctite in there. I could of done that myself. My dream is they send me a new fork, but I would be happy with a quiet one and some new seals. I just dropped my Talas F29 in the mail today, I will let you guys know the results.
    How much was shipping?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    At the very least they will replace your CSU (crown, stanchions, steer tube) since that is the standard procedure for this warranty fix. I had to send my 36 back four times before they eventually just gave me a new one. Maybe you'll get lucky though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    WOW! Just noticed also that there is a slight space between the front lower and the end cap to my Hadley hub. I have to move the lower inward almost a mm to get it flush. Seems like maybe the tolerances are off causing some twisting and eventually leading to the creaking in the uppers.
    Same with the hope hub

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What is the warranty time on replacing the CSU? One year or two?

If it's within one year, I kinda don't want to lose the bike for 2 months because I live in Canada and I know the service is gonna take a long damn time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman View Post
    At the very least they will replace your CSU (crown, stanchions, steer tube) since that is the standard procedure for this warranty fix. I had to send my 36 back four times before they eventually just gave me a new one. Maybe you'll get lucky though.
    I got 2 scenarios going on with my fork. I sent an email last sunday that was just answered on thursday and stated they would fix my fork if I pay a 125-175 fee if I call and get an RMA. However before I got email reply, I called fox and got an RMA. The guy on the phone never mentioned a fee nor did he take my credit info, he just said send it in we will warranty it. They received my fork today. I have no idea if they are gonna charge me or not, but I think that potential is kinda crappy. I didn't buy a creaking fork, so why should I pay to fix one. I will let you guys know what happens before I pass full judgement about the issue.

b a n n e d
    I got 2 scenarios going on with my fork. I sent an email last sunday that was just answered on thursday and stated they would fix my fork if I pay a 125-175 fee if I call and get an RMA. However before I got email reply, I called fox and got an RMA. The guy on the phone never mentioned a fee nor did he take my credit info, he just said send it in we will warranty it. They received my fork today. I have no idea if they are gonna charge me or not, but I think that potential is kinda crappy. I didn't buy a creaking fork, so why should I pay to fix one. I will let you guys know what happens before I pass full judgement about the issue.
    They're gonna charge you if you the fork is more than 1 year old. I talked to the same person on the phone who also did not mention a fee, but when I did the online RMA, I was quoted the same amount to cover the cost of the rebuild. Its kinda a shady thing on their part, but at the same time I can't complain if they replace the uppers past the 1-year standard warranty. I'll be shipping my fork out tomorrow.

mtbr member

The saga continues...

I sure hope Fox comes up with a fix for this problem soon. My 180 is going back after creaking for the last 11 months. Creaking started after about 5 rides. The new 160 is three months old and starting to creak. Two previous 36's did the same thing...

My 2008 Van 36 with 1 1/8 steer tube and no Kashima coat lasted five years without a whimper. I guess this is the price we pay to have a stiff frame and fork with 1.5 head tubes and tapered steer tubes. Or maybe it is the Kashima coating?

I did try the green penetrating thread locker and it worked for two rides. Used the Permatex brand. Strike that off as a solution.

At this point it seems the only solution for the 180 is to go dual crown. I would like to see Fox release a dual crown 36 Float and Van with the tool free axle hardware on all 36's. Lighter and less expensive than a overkill 40.

Another solution could be to go to a Marz 66? Does anyone else know if they are having similar issues?
    Last edited by bubba13; 08-29-2012 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I sure hope Fox comes up with a fix for this problem soon. My 180 is going back after creaking for the last 11 months. Creaking started after about 5 rides. The new 160 is three months old and starting to creak. Two previous 36's did the same thing...

My 2008 Van 36 with 1 1/8 steer tube and no Kashima coat lasted five years without a whimper. I guess this is the price we pay to have a stiff frame and fork with 1.5 head tubes and tapered steer tubes. Or maybe it is the Kashima coating?

I did try the green penetrating thread locker and it worked for two rides. Used the Permatex brand. Strike that off as a solution.

At this point it seems the only solution for the 180 is to go dual crown. I would like to see Fox release a dual crown 36 Float and Van with the tool free axle hardware on all 36's. Lighter and less expensive than a overkill 40.

Another solution could be to go to a Marz 66? Does anyone else know if they are having similar issues?

Plug ears, nannananana.

Is your 160 a new 2012, or is it a 2012 service replacement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Plug ears, nannananana.

Is your 160 a new 2012, or is it a 2012 service replacement?
    The 160 is a new 2012. I could not pass up the option to get a black Float with the new bike frame. Maybe I should have tried another brand?
    Last edited by bubba13; 08-05-2012 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yep, that's what I thought, too. Total overkill using the 40.

Got my 180 Float in 2011. Started creaking, got sent in, got replaced uppers.
    This happened every three months, so after the fourth time they sent me a completely new fork, even the new model of the following year.
    Three months later. Started creaking again. Right now it's sent in again.

Just bough a 170 Lyrik R2DH and gonna sell the Float.

cheers.

b a n n e d
    Well, mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work . . . we'll see if this does the trick.

Anyone know if the 29er forks have the same issue? I haven't gone back through the thread to check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If I have a small creak sometimes when I slam on the brakes, but I haven't noticed it getting worse in a years time, is there any issue with just doing nothing? I only care if this is a safety issue or will develop so much play that the forks could break. I'd rather not pay $175 for something just for a small noise. Also I see several people have sent in their forks 5+ times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The 160 is a new 2012. I could not pass up the option to get a black Float with the new bike frame. Maybe I should have tried another brand?
    Ok, wasn't sure if it was sent back yet. Haven't seen anyone comment on the 2012 service replacements yet and mine still solid/silent

b a n n e d
    Got my fork back. Total turn around was 5 business days from shipment out to back in my hands.

Replaced the uppers and got a total rebuild, new seals, fresh fluid, new bushings and a Kashima upgrade. The only thing they didn't do was cut the steerer, but they did include a new starnut. Not a big deal.

Lets see how long it lasts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice! Did you pay for expedited service?

b a n n e d
    Nope. I basically called them on Monday and got the RA, packaged it up that night and dropped it off Tuesday morning. I did, however, send it express shipping from the USPS and since I'm also in CA, it was overnight for ~$20

mtbr member
    I sent my fork in last week and received it back on this Monday, about a 5 day turnaround, and most of that was shipping. I will see how it rides tomorrow. No charges except for my shipping to Fox. They put new uppers and completely rebuilt the fork with new seals. So far, I am pretty much happy. My only complaint was that I requested with a note taped to fork to leave steerer an inch longer to better fit my new frame and they did not comply. Oh well, basically 20 bucks for a factory rebuild. Will update you guys on any creeks. I did notice the steer tubes seam serialized now. I don't remember my old fork having a number on it.

On wuss patrol
    Time to send mine in for the 2nd time since Fox seems to be in the mood. Better call for an RA and get it rolling. Then, sell the rebuilt and buy a Tower Pro or something from RS.

On wuss patrol
    @Mark4299: wish it were that simple but nope.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Apparently my bike is ready after 1 1/2 week. Not so bad considering I live in a **** hole in Quebec, Canada. Hopefully they changed the whole CSU ass'y under warranty (still within 1 year) and let's hope for a new Kashima coating. Will report back after I grab the bike tonight.

Fork is a 2011 FLOAT 32 140mm RL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I recently noticed a clicking noise in the stancions/crown/steerer area on my 3 months old X-Fusion HLR DLA. Any update on the loctite 290 fix (Tacubaya)? Has anyone tried sending their Vengeance back for warranty because of that?

moaaar shimz
    Try dry Teflon spray instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Glad I found this post cause I just bought a used intense 5.5 and didnt hear the creak till I brought it home. I'd be pissed if I bought a new bike and had this problem. Come on already with the locktite try. Maybe it didnt work, so Im gonna try the penetrating lube for the time being. Also props to the guy who posted the video cause thats exactly how mine sounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok, I've tried the Dry teflon spray in both the stancions/crown and the steertube/crown interfaces and still get a clicking sound when rocking the front end of the bike while applying the front brake. I d'like to eliminate the headset theory(works component 1.5 angle reducer headset, known for being noise free). Is there a safe way to reproduced such movement of the fork while not installed on a bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Flip your rig over, step on grips and turn wheel left/right

mtbr member
    Any reports on the new Fox 34 forks being plagued with this issue?
    Last edited by eurospek; 08-28-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    konahonzo

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast