Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jedenton View Post
    How are your fork now?
    Well I've had two rides on this latest steerer and it's not creaking yet

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ive had 2 uppers replaced on a Talas from creaking(warranty). 2nd time it came back I havent installed it and may sell. Now my 2011 float is creaking. My revelation and Lyric do not creak.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Bikes are noisy sob's, and hunting down those annoying creeks can be a real challenge. A can of good spray lube is your best friend.

My 2011 Float 160 RLC tapered has the creeky steer tube problem. But as mentioned, just flip it upside down, spray and soak. Definitely shoddy for a $1,000 fork, but it works and seems to be safe.

I like the fork, but it sure is tricky to dial in. The custom air chamber piston chop is also pretty much mandatory it makes a huge difference. ,

FKA Malibu412
    Just shipped my 2010 OEM F29 RL off to Fox Service for their extended-to-2 years-warranty for creaking crowns repairs/service. I should have it back in 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes and how it holds up.

When I tightly gripped the stanchion at the crown, locked the front brake, and moved the bike back and forth producing the creaking noise, I could actually feel the stanchion moving a very small amount inside the crown.

The oil trick didn't work for mine. The creaking was in the stanchion to crown interface.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    My F29 120 crown is creaking as well, and has been for many months while I chased other possible areas of creaking. It has been 1 1/2 years since I purchased the bike form authorized dealer/shop.

Is Fox generally doing these repairs under warranty on forks more than a year post purchase for you guys?? Seems they would to avoid any more of a black eye about this QC/design issue...
    Has anone had a problem getting a G2 crown replaced??? Now I'm really getting nervous...

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Is Fox generally doing these repairs under warranty on forks more than a year post purchase for you guys??
    Yes, they extend their warranty to 2 years for the creaky stanchion/crown issue. I don't see why they would also take care of a G2 fork. Call Fox CS directly and talk to them. I am sure they will try to help you out.

I should be getting mine back from Fox in the next week or so. Hopefully they have a good fix for the problem.

mtbr member
    Thanks Malibu412- I guess my paranoid concern was that Fox produced the Trek/Fisher G2s in small batches relative to all the std offsets and may not have any of these crowns available for retrofit, but I sure hope so cuz this creak is very annoying!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Yes, they extend their warranty to 2 years for the creaky stanchion/crown issue.
    Thanks for the 411. I did not know this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys I got a 2011 slayer last week, taken it out 3 times. My quick release levers (the ones on the bottom of each side of fork) are creaking, does it need wd40 down there or what? Yall's issues seem different than mine, only creaking is when i take the front wheel off

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Null,
    I tried your suggestion but noise is still there. I installed a reba sl from a friend and it was all smoother and all the creaking gone. Any other suggestion on how to solve the creaks on the fox?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Yes, they extend their warranty to 2 years for the creaky stanchion/crown issue.... Hopefully they have a good fix for the problem.
    Got my F29 back with a new upper assembly and while they were at it, replaced seals and wipers with a lowers service. No charge and no creaking after the first few rides.

Yay Fox!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, its 5 months after I got my forks back from Fox with new uppers replaced under warranty and they're creaking again!! it's exactly the same as before, so I guess a return to Fox for replacement uppers is needed again.

I'm seriously considering getting them fixed and selling them. I've seen a set of 2011 marzocchi 66 evo's for half price, they seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
    Anyone any experiance with these? I loved my old 2007 66's if the new ones are as reliable and as smooth as they were I'll definitly be getting them.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

same timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by travo View Post
    Well, its 5 months after I got my forks back from Fox with new uppers replaced under warranty and they're creaking again!! it's exactly the same as before, so I guess a return to Fox for replacement uppers is needed again.

I'm seriously considering getting them fixed and selling them. I've seen a set of 2011 marzocchi 66 evo's for half price, they seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
    Anyone any experiance with these? I loved my old 2007 66's if the new ones are as reliable and as smooth as they were I'll definitly be getting them.....
    Mine Van just started creaking again after a good hard ride yesterday, I still need to take them off and do the twist test again to make sure( hoping it's the stem this time ) but I know that sound..

timw
    Apr 2005
    I suspect they are replacing the uppers because it is a bushing problem. Fox 2011 Forks have been very bad. I just got my 32 back with new uppers -bushings bad.

mtbr member
    I had a creaking in my camber elite 29er, found out it was dirt in the seat post after greasing/lubing EVERYTHING i could get my hands on. I just took it out cleaned it out and put it back in

FWIW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have any input on the Fox creaking but Marzocchi had this issue back in 2002. The single crown 130mm forks would creak like hell, it's loose tolerances in the stanchion fittings, they had to redesign the uppers in 03 to solve the problem.

Hopefully fox can get this fitment issue figured out and keep these forks on the trail without the creaks.

Side note: I'm sure this was brought up before, but my bike had a nasty creak up front for a season. It turned out to be unlubricated headset bearings in my Chris King. Tossed some grease in there & issue solved.

There was a bit of wear on the upper bearing cap as well, that is also a creak point. Make sure any metal on the headset showing wear is lubricated with proper waterproof grease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi!

I have fox fork van rc2 2011 with the same problems with creaking. Do somebody know if that can be dangerous?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by svituris View Post
    Hi!

I have fox fork van rc2 2011 with the same problems with creaking. Do somebody know if that can be dangerous?

Thank you
    If it is still under warranty then send it in. You will get a new CSU and a rebuild at the same time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone know if the 2012 36's have this problem??

My 2011 is going back to Fox again

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    If it is still under warranty then send it in. You will get a new CSU and a rebuild at the same time.
    I already sent it in and I got new CSU but after 2 months it started to creaking again. And I don't whant to send it every 2 months, that's why I'm asking if that can be dangerous. If not creaking doesn't bother me too much.

But thank you anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just sent my 2010 Fox Van R 36 back to Fox for the 3rd time in 7 months. Creaking like a mother. The tech guy I talked to said that because this was the 3rd time I'm sending the fork back they'd replace it. Hopefully I'll get a newer, less creak prone version... lets hope that no reports of creaking 2012ers start coming in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

creeky fork

Quote Originally Posted by codename47 View Post
    Made 2 videos. Is the creaking noise sound like this:

?
    Thanks for posting this video. That's so helpful. I have a creek starting on my 2011 X Fusion Vengeance HLR 160. I want to isolate it. ANYONE else have an Issue with their X Fusion.??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Anyone know if the 2012 36's have this problem??

My 2011 is going back to Fox again
    I have a 2012 and it has no creaking at all, least so far anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ok, well, I know that my 2011 X fusion Vengeance isnt a Fox, but everybody compares them to a Float and they are engineered by ex- Fox Techs ect... So I Isolated a creak in 1 stanchion where the crown meets the stanchion. I called X fusion and they said that because I bought it used, it will cost me 300.00 for a new press fit job. But I told him I was thinking of spraying some penetrating oil (not SILICONE!!!) on the bottom of the crown where the stanchion slides in and on the top under the Rebound dial to lubricate the area. He said so long as it isnt wiggling or turning, which it wasnt, it's probly not loose and that the 160's and 180 forks are all bound to make noise at some point. Due to all the other stiff upgrades on these forks and the heavy load performance being performed on them, something is bound to start giving a little. It could also have got some dust in it from the press fit process causing it to prematurely creek.BUT the oil should NOT make it worse. SOOOO..I oiled the stanchion and low and behold after about 20mins riding , the oil had worked it's way into the press fit and the creak was gone. My bike has not ridden so quiet since I built it. Giant Reign w/ 6.7 front and rear.
    Last edited by bryantaber; 02-07-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Search and Destroyed my Vengeance's 160 creek

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Creek searched and destoyed

Quote Originally Posted by drsmonkey View Post
    I'm not so sure this is a good idea, but others should chime in.

That is a press (or interference) fit that relies on friction to stay assembled. If it is creaking the allowance may be off and introducing oil (if it can even penetrate the fit) will only decrease the friction. It could reduce the creaking, but it could also cause the steerer to move more with relation to the crown.

If a little cleaning and oil safely fixes the problem would Fox be spending the money to replace the CSU's on these?

I could be wrong though, because I'm only 95% sure.

I've got a 2011 36 Van waiting to be mounted. Anybody having the creaking with the tapered steerers?
    My stanchion is creeking not my steerer, but I did try this fix and after spraying NON SILICONE penetrating oil under and on top where the stanchion presses in , then rding a very bumpy 30 mins , the creek was gone.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast