Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtb junkie
    at the stanchios is another story! i was talking about the steerer tube +crown assembly in fact there too is ok. the threads are in the stanchios and the caps are holding the stanchios tighten somehow so i don't think that could come off too
    i am here only to gather knowledge and to offer to others what i know. no bullsht please,so stop wasting good bull !

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry, but did you not read my post? The stanchion can work its way out of the crown.

If it's under warranty send it in to get it fixed, if not then pay to have the CSU replaced. A few hundred bucks is worth the piece of mind.

mtb junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    sorry, but did you not read my post? The stanchion can work its way out of the crown..

how?
    i am here only to gather knowledge and to offer to others what i know. no bullsht please,so stop wasting good bull !

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    how?
    I stand corrected, looking at the cut-away it doesn't seem possible for the stanchion to move out of the crown with the Top Cap screwed on. I will have to ask him again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Have you tried searching for pictures of broken steer tubes? Wanna see a broken 1.5 66 RC2X?
    They can pull out of the crown. And stachions can also wiggle loose. If it creaks then it is moving. If it is moving it is going to fail. When? I couldn't say but it will fail before one that does not creak.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If it's out of warranty I would be more inclined to try a high strength wicking Loctite vs. a lube. This stuff is pretty amazing getting into places you would never think possible to do it's thing and might be worth a try. Wont hurt anything that's for sure.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtb junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    Have you tried searching for pictures of broken steer tubes? Wanna see a broken 1.5 66 RC2X?
    They can pull out of the crown. And stachions can also wiggle loose. If it creaks then it is moving. If it is moving it is going to fail. When? I couldn't say but it will fail before one that does not creak.

dude,why do you bother to post? we were talking about FOX no MARZ !!! there is a diference in structure and in your link those are BROKEN/cracked forks ! not loose steerer tube. that most certainly occur after a crash!

HOW this (steerer tube) can get PULLED out of the crown any other way than a big crack ? we were talking about putting some oil in there. worst case scenario oil wil make it roatate slightly NOT pulled out !

big ps: oil that i told you of is ment to stay in red circles in the picture .oil cannot simply go any further !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 fox forks creaking/cracking noise-allnewf-seriescutaway-600x396.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    HOW this (steerer tube) can get PULLED out of the crown any other way than a big crack ? we were talking about putting some oil in there. worst case scenario oil wil make it roatate slightly NOT pulled out !
    Dooooooooooooood. They start to creak and then fail catastrophically!

mtb junkie
    They start to creak and then fail catastrophically! ??????/ i've asked you HOW ! if that is all you can say is all clear for me. you have no mechanical skil at all as about imagination.... did you even bother to see the picture with the cutaway ?!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had the same creaking problem with my F100RLC FIT, and isolated the noise to the left stanchion/crown area. I called FOX and they gave me an RA#. 2 weeks later (I took a couple days to send it in), I have the fork back and it seems to be fine. Will ride it tonight, but initial tests have shown no creaking. However, the kashima coat looks much more pale than what my previous stanchions had on them. I sent them a note with before/after pictures, but expect them to reply with something along the lines of kashima being an anodizing process and different batches turn out differently.
    Any others with this problem? Not really a problem I suppose, but makes me wonder about that initial batch of kashimas and whether that had anything to do with the adhesion of the stanchion to the crown?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

re-dish

Quote Originally Posted by pdelbusto View Post
    I had the same creaking problem with my F100RLC FIT, and isolated the noise to the left stanchion/crown area. I called FOX and they gave me an RA#. 2 weeks later (I took a couple days to send it in), I have the fork back and it seems to be fine. Will ride it tonight, but initial tests have shown no creaking. However, the kashima coat looks much more pale than what my previous stanchions had on them. I sent them a note with before/after pictures, but expect them to reply with something along the lines of kashima being an anodizing process and different batches turn out differently.
    Any others with this problem? Not really a problem I suppose, but makes me wonder about that initial batch of kashimas and whether that had anything to do with the adhesion of the stanchion to the crown?
    Mine have less saturation as well, however both legs are of the same hue this time.

The problem I have is with the axle spacing from where the hub seats to the inside of the leg (non-brake side). There's @ 1 mm increase, so the leg is free to move on the axle (toward hub) if you don't use a shim. Was not like this before..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll be damned i've had the same annoying creak in my 2009 fox 32 float tapered thought it was something else but after this thread thats definatly it;-(

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh boy. If someone purchased a used Float, I wonder if Fox would still warranty it?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well.........I'm not happy to say my previously warrantied CSU has started making noise again. Obviously there's an issue here with these forks. It's only been a few months.

Has anyone had this occur more than once? If so, did you talk to Fox about it? Wondering if I should insist on getting a 2012 CSU, seems like the 2011's are not holding up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well.........I'm not happy to say my previously warrantied CSU has started making noise again. Obviously there's an issue here with these forks. It's only been a few months.

Has anyone had this occur more than once? If so, did you talk to Fox about it? Wondering if I should insist on getting a 2012 CSU, seems like the 2011's are not holding up.
    I'm on my second warranty....
    when i called in about the second warranty they said nothing has been changed with the 2012 crowns, so that wouldn't make a difference.
    they also said they have never had one fail, its just an annoying noise.
    i guess now that i'm out of warranty i'll try the above mentioned technique to fix it if it happens agai.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wonder how many people would buy FOX if they knew about the "annoying noise". Doesn't sit well with me.

mtbr member
    My 2011 36 Float is not creaking, but I do have a noise when you push on the front brake and try to rock the bike back and forth. Something's definitely rattling a bit on the damper side, right leg, like something's knocking on the inside stanchion walls.

I contacted Fox about it and they said it's normal to hear faint knocking sounds when the open bath hasn't been cycled yet. But I get the same noise half way through my rides if I check this. Doesn't affect performance at all, just expected more from a $800+ fork that sees no more than singletrack in the Midwest.

mtbr member
    My 1sh replacement CSU is holding for the moment. What is the period for been warrantied, I know that there's only 1 year warranty from the moment of buying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I'm on my third steerer (2011 Float 36 RLC Tapered) - all replaced under warranty by Mojo (UK)

mtb junkie
    please,just please try my way,put some oil between steerer and crown with the bike upside down and wait 10min.your problem will be solved. i ride one of my fox r years now like this and i am 230lbs i ride it FR and it is perfectly safe.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    please,just please try my way,put some oil between steerer and crown with the bike upside down and wait 10min.your problem will be solved. i ride one of my fox r years now like this and i am 230lbs i ride it FR and it is perfectly safe.
    I will once the warranty expires and I can't get a new one.

mtbr member
    Null - seems like a little bit of elbow grease frightens most people here. I personally can't see anything wrong with your tip. . .

On another topic, the 2011 kashima are on sale in my part of the world. I currently run a 2007 66 rc2x which I love, no slop, creek sort of stuff. My lbs has a VAN 180 in stock and it's on sale. However, I've noticed a bit of slop on three, yes three (3)! Fox 180's...2 VAN and a Float, all Kashima coated, no creeks though (all from friends using the forks)...I'm now more hesitant getting the 180...Seems like the creaking issue is similar to the 07 RS Lyriks , I had to deal with the creak and bushing slop (previous owner of one) ...Besides having creaking crowns, anyone experience a slop on the fork?
    Last edited by darkzeon; 10-15-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Null - seems like a little bit of elbow grease frightens most people here.
    Really??? Putting oil on a fork is what you consider hard work?

How about you walk what you talk and do a search on fork bushings? Instead of hijacking this thread.

mtbr member
    Really??? Putting oil on a fork is what you consider hard work?

How about you walk what you talk and do a search on fork bushings? Instead of hijacking this thread.
    Aw, sorry to "hijack" your thread dude...Don't mean to get you defensive on putting oil in your fork, must be that time of the month, EH?...Ok, people ignore my slop comments, and let's go back to the rickety creak
    Last edited by darkzeon; 10-15-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisD View Post
    I'm on my third steerer (2011 Float 36 RLC Tapered) - all replaced under warranty by Mojo (UK)
    How are your fork now?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast