Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
    Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Have you guys done the steerer tube from the bottom of the Crown, too. I did the stanchions (upside down) where they meet the Crown but I'm still experiencing the creeking noise. I used the Loctite 290 after using their Klean and Prime activator.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I did the steerer tube from the bottom of the crown as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hmmm...ok. So, I applied a mix of 290 and 609 to the bottom of the crown/ stanchion interface, twice, and the steerer/crown once. Let dry for 24, then set upright for another 24. No luck. Should I do the top of the stanchion interface, and the steerer? If I do the stanchions, won't that lock the top caps?

moaaar shimz
    Did you apply first the 290, let 24 hour cure and then apply the 609 and cure for 24 hours?

Only apply on the stanchion/crown interface (and on the steerer/crown if you are 100% sure the creak comes from there), don't apply it anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I still can't get rid of my creak. It's definitely coming from the fork- swapping to a rigid fork eliminates the noise, and I can just barely get the fork to do it in my hands.

I mixed the two, then applied and allowed to cure for 24hr upside down, 24hr rightside up. I can see a thin ring of stuff in the stanchion/crown joint, but not under the steerer. I can try the top interface of the steerer, and remove the crown race...

moaaar shimz
    Why did you mix them? That defeats the purpose of each loctite.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Why did you mix them? That defeats the purpose of each loctite.
    My thought as well. Not seeing the benefit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I guess I figured lowered viscosity with higher binding strength? So that it would wick into the crevices but still be strong enough to not give up over time? Because some people said that 290 didn't work, but 609 wasn't thin enough to penetrate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you all for this thread. I have bought a used Specialized stumpjumper carbon and have the same annoying problem with my FOX 32 fork. I tried the oil/ teflon and let it the fork stand uppside down overnigth, but that did not work. I wrote FOX services Germany, but they has not answerd yet. I guess the next step is to trie tho degrease the thing and trie the locktite solution, but there is also no garantee for succes. I Think it depnds if the fluid really can creep in between. Stupid that locktite write on their website they have the absolute solution to make pressfit fittings ultimatively stable when lockite is applied before pressing the fork togehter. Why Doesn't FOX use Locktite right from the start?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Everybody here's the solution for creaky steerer tube and stanchions. An exclusive process invented by the Bicycle Jesus himself.

Stanchion Repress | Blue Liquid Labs

Check out the suspension services page as well.

Suspension Department | Blue Liquid Labs

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for that Oliver - I've parked your link away in case I run into this (I didn't even know this could be done).

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by olivermajewski View Post
    Everybody here's the solution for creaky steerer tube and stanchions. An exclusive process invented by the Bicycle Jesus himself.

Stanchion Repress | Blue Liquid Labs

Check out the suspension services page as well.

Suspension Department | Blue Liquid Labs
    Oliver.

Many manufacturers have tried using Loctite during CSU assembly (and some still do) to eliminate the creaking, but it eventually comes back. I personally think it's one the best solutions we have, yet it remains an unsolved problem.

Btw, you mention you are the only one in the world doing that, but I know a few guys across the pond doing that and more, one technician even sends out wore out stanchions for centerless griding/honing and re-anodizing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Oliver.

Many manufacturers have tried using Loctite during CSU assembly (and some still do) to eliminate the creaking, but it eventually comes back. I personally think it's one the best solutions we have, yet it remains an unsolved problem.

Btw, you mention you are the only one in the world doing that, but I know a few guys across the pond doing that and more, one technician even sends out wore out stanchions for centerless griding/honing and re-anodizing.
    That's incredible. Do you have the names or websites of the guys that hone and re-anodize stanchions? Also, do you have the names of the guys who are repressing steerer tubes and stanchions? Is the amount they charge for honing and reanodizing less than brand new CSU's?

Regarding longevity, I rode the creakiest fork I've ever heard for about 8 years. I pressed everything out and pressed it back in with loctite 609 and I've been riding creak free for 3 years now. 3 years is pretty good I think. Longer than cables can stay in tune. Longer than seals can last.

I've pressed apart many forks now from many different brands and only one has ever had any residue of some retaining compound but I know exactly how loctite brand 609 looks when new and how it looks when old. I know exactly the color and I know exactly how it feels between my fingernails when it crumbles away. The stuff I've seen this manufacturer use didnt feel at all like loctite 609 retaining compound, it had to be something else.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12