Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm an idiot!! Just bought a 2014 34 Float, after two previous 36's creaking,......any bets on how long it will be before this one starts to creak?

BTW it's a really nice feeling fork, very happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I'm an idiot!! Just bought a 2014 34 Float, after two previous 36's creaking,......any bets on how long it will be before this one starts to creak?

BTW it's a really nice feeling fork, very happy with it so far.
    Well, I went thru two sessions w/ Fox warranty on my 34 Float 140 29er. Because of how long those legs are, the creaking came pretty much right away. This is why I keep a spare Marz 44 Micro Ti 29er on hand for this bike. Once the creaking is resolved, the Marz will go on one of those cheap Chinese carbon hardtails
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

taste it
    giving up on Fox forks my 2013 Float 32 140 are creaking excessive not only braking but even when riding -

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have to hand it to Fox for how they handled my creaking CSU on my '13 36 Float 160. I'm out in MD (5 days via ups to fox), so they did next day shipping back and forth, and covered labor at my LBS to uninstall/reinstall the fork. I got a brand new CSU unit with shiny new kashima. The best part was a 3-year warranty extension for any future CSU problems. I spoke to the service manager, and he said they have newly designed CSU's rolling out of production to help address the issue. I guess time will tell if it actually works

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good to hear Kayman121, I had a pretty severe creaking noise from my 2013 float 100's
    sent them off to Fox and I have to say they handeled my issue fast and professional, delt with Travis and he was my contact throughout the service claim. Happy customer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am on my 3rd CSU on my 26" float 140 and it once again has started to creak. It was subtle at first but now it is pretty loud and happens nonstop as I ride. My experience with fox warranty has been excellent for the first 2 replacements (as others have also mentioned) but this time I am going to try the oil trick before I send it in. Sending it back to fox usually only puts the fork out of my hands for 1.5 weeks, but it is still annoying. Trying to get myself to just accept the noise and live with it since besides the sound the fork works fine and I am confident the noise doesn't affect performance, but so far I am too OCD about random noises on my bike.

FYI, all 3 cases of creaky CSUs made noise at the crown stanchion interface.
    Last edited by ejhorn; 01-16-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The solution to this problem is called rock shox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhorn View Post
    but this time I am going to try the oil trick before I send it in.
    Loctite 290 wicking grade solved it for me. Invert the fork, apply around the join, clean up any excess, leave overnight. Repeat if you're OCD No creaks for a year or so.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had my 2012 Fox DRCV start creaking in December. My fork will be two years old in May, and wasn't sure what to expect when I sent it back to them. I was expecting to have to pay to have the fork rebuild in exchange for the crown being replaced. Dave at Fox was really responsive, and after receiving the fork decided that they would replace the entire fork. Not sure what else was wrong with the fork as it was meticulously maintained, but something prompted Fox to replace the entire fork. I'm very happy they did and it's making my decision to purchase a Fox fork for my new 29er build pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My Fox 29'er 120 CTDs started creaking about a month ago. I checked everything else (axle, headset, stem, bars). Flipped the bike upside down and twisted the fork legs gently, and I got the creak (well, more of a click). I get it when I brake hard, or power down on the pedals.
    Suggested return time for the forks (for me down here) is two weeks, which is a long time to be without the bike. I'm thinking I will try the Loctite 290 method.
    I've had the bike since last September. I would have thought Fox would have fixed the issue by now

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ok, I tried the Loctite method. I used Loctite 609, applying it around the underside of the crown/steerer and crown/stanchion junctions. I left it 24 hours to cure, with the bike upside down, and then left it for another 24 hours with the bike sitting upright.

I've just taken it for a short ride, and when powering hard, or braking hard, there is no creak. It will be interesting to see how long this holds up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rock Shox is not the solution. I know two new Pikes that are already creaking away happily...
    My 2011 36 RC2 is creaking every dusty and super warm summer. My solution is rather simple... i spray some brake cleaner between crown and steerer, blow the dirt/dust out with compressed air and flush the gap with some thin oil from a spray can. Solves this "problem" for a few years now..

mtbr member
    Howdy !

My 2013 Fox Talas started creaking from day one but las week creaking became unbearable. Followed this precious topic and added Loctite,the fork this morning is completely silent. Can this Loctite thing be considered a permanent solution or should I send in the fork for overhaul ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Howdy !

My 2013 Fox Talas started creaking from day one but las week creaking became unbearable. Followed this precious topic and added Loctite,the fork this morning is completely silent. Can this Loctite thing be considered a permanent solution or should I send in the fork for overhaul ?
    Glad it worked for you, how nice is it to have quiet forks again?

My loctite 290 treated forks are still creak-free and it's been well over a year now, probably more like two, so I reckon you should be ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    Ok, I tried the Loctite method. I used Loctite 609, applying it around the underside of the crown/steerer and crown/stanchion junctions. I left it 24 hours to cure, with the bike upside down, and then left it for another 24 hours with the bike sitting upright.

I've just taken it for a short ride, and when powering hard, or braking hard, there is no creak. It will be interesting to see how long this holds up.
    I think mcam is on to something with the Locktite 609 Retaining Compound. I have been using the green penetrating Locktite for threaded applications and it only works for a ride or two. I just got some 609 and will be trying it soon.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    So what is that actually happens when you add Loctite in there ? Ok the fork is now quiet again but honestly at this time I'm pretty scared at the idea of getting airborn with the bike. Am I gonna have my stanchions detached while blasting downhill ? What is that make the creaking happen in the end ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

moaaar shimz
    Another solution I've tried besides the Loctite 290 is spraying the junctions with 7649 Loctite Primer and then using Loctite 638. Cure time is 48 hours. Be careful with the primer, it can damage powdercoat so make sure to protect the crown from excessive spray.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I think mcam is on to something with the Locktite 609 Retaining Compound. I have been using the green penetrating Locktite for threaded applications and it only works for a ride or two. I just got some 609 and will be trying it soon.
    I have a very tiny tube of 609 R.C. The website I ordered it from showed a bottle but what I received was this very tiny tube for $11 (free shipping but I'm guessing the tube was a few bucks & the rest is the 'free shipping' costs) so I hope I have enough...

6/14:

I put some of the 609 R.C. on the crown/steerer area & it's currently curing. Also, I got a refund on the R.C. as the site didn't send me the bottle they have pictured on their site. I'll find out Monday or Tues. if it stopped or quiets down the creaking/clicking I had (sounds like what I thought was the saddle creaking). It didn't creak all the time, just off and on.
    Last edited by bitewerks; 06-14-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Spanish rider
    Any recent experience with creaky Rock Shox Revelations?
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

Spanish rider
    How is this issue evolving? New 2013/2014 keep on creaking?
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

May contain nuts

2011 fox forks creaking/cracking noise

Fox replaced my 36 CSU once but refused to when second one started to make a racket, so I did the suggested 609 procedure, taking care to clean it with IPA, drying it well, and letting it cure upside down in a vice for 2-3 days. Haven't had any creaking in 6 months and it's done shuttle days...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I put the Loctite 609 Retaining Compound where the crown/steerer & allowed it to dry for 2 days but I got a few 'pops' riding in the street. I'm not sure how to tell if I put enough or what considering the gap around the crown is very small. I guess I'll try around the top of the stanchions where they meet the csu (if I have enough of the RC left in the little tube).

My fork is a '11 TALAS 140 RLC that is now a FLOAT. I think it's a '11; purchased summer of '10. It's creaked/popped mildly but lately seems to have gotten a little worse; I thought for awhile it was my saddle making the noise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So I'm geared up to try this myself, using a mix of 290 and 609. Did anybody leave their fork intact while trying "the fix", or were they all removed and disassembled prior? I'd like to leave mine as is, but I don't want the fork cap to get stuck too.

moaaar shimz
    Leave it assembled.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I left mine assembled, and it worked fine.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast