mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2011 fox 32 float RL 150mm

I just bought a bike with a fox 32 float RL 150mm fork. I like to make sure there is oil in it. I am planing on just removing the nuts on the bottom of the fork, draining the oil, hopfully there will be some, and refilling with M1-5W-30 in each leg.

I'll replace the seals another time, I just want to make sure it has the proper amount of oil right now.

I'm not even planing on removing the lowers just sliding them down a little to drain and replace the oil.

This is my first time doing this, does that sound about right?
    Last edited by Tom-Cat; 07-26-2014 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    If you're going to drain the oil, you might as well do a quick service. For first timers, its not the most intimidating thing to do, buts far from simple. Never hurts to slide the lowers off, since you'd have them unbolted anyways), and clean the inside of the lowers with brake cleaner to help degrease it to make sure there's no build up. Wipe down the stanchions and inspect the seals. If the seals look good, then just slide them back on, add the oil back in and viola. All would take 5-10 more minutes of your time. Make sure the crush washers are still in good shape too.

A note..if you're going to use 5w-30, which many people do use, then think about using synthetic.

Last edited by Shakester; 07-02-2014 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I ended up buying the Fox float fork service kit for $32.00 at the bike store. My forks were 165mm oil in the damper side and 30mm oil in the airspring side. They turned out good and are nice and smooth! I don't think they had ever been serviced in two years, the soft white foam lubrication washer's were dirty and kind of hardened. Although only 30mm of oil go into the one fork, around 2 U.S. tablespoons, I did not see any oil come out, maybe a few drops.

Update
    3 weeks later - The reason almost no oil came out in the springside, was that it had migrated up into the air chamber. I have parts coming to fix the problem and Fox customer service was excellent.
    Last edited by Tom-Cat; 07-26-2014 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's been 3 weeks since I did the lower service on the forks and I have another question if anyone can help?
    I just recently noticed I was not getting full travel, before and after the lower service, only around 3 inches. So I started reading a little more here and found a long thread that basically said the Fox forks I have leak fluid into the upper air chamber from the lower splash oil . So I turned the forks upside down and let the air out, and low and behold allot of green fluid came out, since I bought the bike used and it is around 2 years old, I assume the original owner never did any maintence.
    Now I am getting allot more travel and the shock feels allot better, So what do I do next? All the lower seals have been replaced and are good with the right amounts of splash oil in them.
    From what I read, I think I have to remove something or replace something, do I call fox and find out if there is a solultion, otherwise it is just going to keep happening. I also think I need to add a pillow pack to the air champer?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I answered my own question, I called Fox and they were super helpful, and they are sending me a replacement wiper washer and a few other parts to switch out the foam washer too resolve the issue. Their customer service was great, I like that and I like my FOX shocks, now that the fork is back to normal after draining the oil in the air chamber I am super pleased.
    I definity will stay with Fox when I need new shocks. Good customer service means allot to me, and I don't forget it.