• 2010 RLC for $~450

4 44.44%
  • 2011 RLC Kashmina for $600

5 55.56%
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Good job! 2010 vs 2011 Fox 32 RLC F120 for the price

Hey everyone,

Long time reader/follower, recently signed up for my first post.

My old (year unknown) Rockshox Sid/Reba (painted over long ago) from my Santa Cruz Superlight recently died (half inch of travel).

I'm looking at two Fox 32 FIT RLC F-series with 120mm, straight steerer, and 9mm QR:

2010 Model NEW, never been installed, I can get for $450 or maybe a bit less.

2011 Model with Kashmina stanchions I can get for $600.

I've upgraded nearly everything on my bike sans the frame with the highest model components, but for around 80% of the original price.

Is going with more durable, smoother, and frankly better looking Kashmina stanchions on the 2011 with the extra $150?

I plan on making the decision in the next few days because I've ridden for the last 20 days or so and I'd like to not damage my slightly fragile Mavic crossmax SL wheels.

I foresee myself using these forks for at least a few years (my current Rockshox lasted around 8-10 years).

The trails I ride are intermediate to advanced single track, and sometimes fire roads if it rained that week. Mt. Tam, China Camp, and my favorite, Tamorancho, all in Marin County are my main trails.

On a related note, I can also get a 2011 Fox 32 F120 RLC with tapered steerer and 15mm QR for $420 if anyone would like to trade to a straight/9mm model.

Thanks everyone for any feedback you can provide!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Now might be the time to go for a through axle, especially considering you ride more advanced trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've decided to take the plunge on the 2011 Kashmina. Even though I couldn't find any real review, those that tried both 2011 in Kashina and non, claimed to feel a night and day difference. Since I will probably ride this for at least 5 years, the extra durability seems like an added feature.

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Now might be the time to go for a through axle, especially considering you ride more advanced trails.
    Would this be worth the investment and trouble of upgrading my 9mm to 15mm? I'm not that concerned with weight, but I do like to keep things as light as I can without sacrificing the fun of the ride. I'm not doing many drops over 1-2ft but I do ride very rocky and rooty singletrack.

The call was placed to FOX today but they wont get around to finishing a new batch until next week, so I imagine I could maybe go with a 15mm if necessary.

Anyone else have some insight on the issue, and how easy it is to upgrade my Crossmax SL wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by evlvd
    ...but I do ride very rocky and rooty singletrack.
    It's not about drops, but about rocky and rooty singletrack. A through axle will give you much better steering precision in those situations, and will keep the wheel pointed where you want it. Especially since you plan on keeping the fork for a while, go with the better technology, and get the 15mm axle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    After digging around for a while, I don't believe the crossmax SL can be changed to a 15mm axle. They may be able to be custom machined, or buy a new hub. I'm very unfamiliar with this so I will continue researching. If anyone has some experience with this or has a link to a similar thread that would be great. So far people are just saying "no it can't be done." Not until the newer SLR models.

I took out the QR and can take out the metal piece inside which contains the "rolling things" with ball bearings. It seems to be just about 15mm.
    Last edited by evlvd; 03-08-2011 at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can always sell the wheelset and buy a 15mm wheelset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's what I'm currently looking at, trying to find something on par with my Crossmax SL, possible the Crossmax ST?

Anything you can recommend? You obviously have more experience than I. This is the first bike I've actually built myself. I love this wheelset, but I'd hate to have it be the reason I can't upgrade to a thru axle. I bought these wheels for 350 and could maybe sell them for the same price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    To be honest, I don't like proprietary wheelsets. My recommendation would be to spec standard hubs, rims, and spokes, and then have a good wheelsmith build it for you. Weight will be comparable, it will be just as strong, and you'll have no problems repairing it regardless of where you are. Additionally, you can upgrade components of your wheel as you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for all the help bad mechanic. I decided to take your advice and get some custom made Stans Arch rims on ZRT hubs. Got white rims too which should match the new fork as well! Should be shipped out sometime next week.