mtbr member
    Nov 2010

2010 Fox Float R 150mm problems (Fixed!)

I'm hoping to solicit information and dump this out there because I'm sure I'm not the only person who's experienced this problem.

There seems to be very little information out there on this fork, maybe it was OEM only for the Giant Reign 2 that year?

My problem: Harsh rebound that started suddenly, and stiction/stuck fork at the top of the stroke.

I disassembled the fork, which has an open dampening circuit and found the "base valve assembly" completely unscrewed and disconnected from the cartridge. This is a pic pulled from Fox's website of the assembly in question:

I didn't see any remnants of loctite, which is specced, I'm not sure if the oil would dissolve it or not. I counted myself very lucky as I assumed my troubles were over after reassembling with loctite. Wrong. I decided to inspect the air spring before reassembling and found a lot of loose bits and broken pieces that seem to support the spring.

The roll pin also seems out of place:

At this point it seems my only course of action is to replace the entire assembly, which appears to be 820-02-060-KIT 150mm air shaft assy.

Anyone have any luck ordering parts directly from Fox? I couldn't find the assembly listed anywhere else online.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, before I found the air spring in ruin I thought I just needed to fill it up with oil and I would be back on the trail.

The Solution: Go-Ride! These guys are incredible, one of the Techs walked me into the back and helped me find what air spring assemblies they had. We found a 2010 140mm assembly that I was pretty sure I could utilize.

I took it home, punched out the roll pins that hold the Black spacer and white piston on. Pulled out the 140mm springs, took the black supports of the 140mm springs, and put them on my 150mm springs, put the springs on the new shaft, which actually had a hole drilled for the 150mm and 140mm position, and then the new piston and I was all done.

The interesting thing was that the 140mm air spring had a longer main spring and negative spring than my 150mm. I'm not sure how these coil springs affect the progression of the air spring.

Once I got it back together the rebound seemed really fast, but I quickly realized that the damper shaft that the red knob connects to was a little tweaked, which prevented the red knob from being able to be screwed in all the way. Once I got that centered I had the full range of adjustment and it was properly damping again.
    Last edited by eladeflow; 06-17-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fixed!

OSCMTB
    If the roll pin is sitting that far out, what does the inside of the stanchion look like?

That broken plastic piece looks like a travel spacer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The inside of the stanchion looks fine, I shined a bright LED flashlight inside and couldn't see any obvious gouging, as soon as I saw that roll pin I thought the inside would be thrashed.

I doubt this assembly is something Go-Ride would have on hand, I wonder how far out that puts me.