mtbr member

200lb rider / RockShox Revelation-Team U-Air (32mm stanchions) ?

EDIT:
    Never mind. Just found a 4 page thread on the Revelation Team U-Turn unit failure rate.
    World record? Rockshox Revelation 2010 failed after 1 Minute of riding

Hey,
    I'm shopping for a 150mm fork w/ a 20mm axle for my Blur LT (my "aggressive XC" bike)

I found the RockShox Revelation-Team U-Air for 500 bucks.
    http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Revel...Q/ref=lh_ni_t_

I'm just wondering if I'm too heavy for this fork w/ it's 32mm stanchions.
    (I'm only familiar w/ Fox 36 forks)

Like I said, I'll be doing XC/AM riding.

thanks.
    Last edited by client_9; 04-17-2011 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just saw your note on 36. Rev ain't no 36! But it's fine for what you say. XC-AM.

For trail w occasional small drops. Yes no prob. Esp with the Maxle. That'll stiffen it up nicely.
    For frequent airs. Get domain or lyrik at 35mm stanx.

U-turn is good.
    2-pos or 2-step even better.
    But the even better bit just comes from convenience. Can change on the fly w 2-step. That is cool.
    If you have a trail bike w 2-step and adjustable post, you have Zen in terms of feeling the flow.
    But you also have heavy! Mainly from the stinking post. The fork on the other hand, you will NEVER regret.
    And I mean either what you've found, or a 2-step 2-pos. All nice for what you want.
    Rev and up, can't go wrong. SRAM has your back.

FYI, I weigh about 190 loaded and fly down real Rocky Mtn trails on 32mm stanchions (and 35). 32 is fine. I take drops to about 4' on 32mm as long as they're not too rough and flat. No probs. Cracked light rims doing it, but the forks (Reba and Recon*) had no problems.
    *Recon is same as old Rev except with no external gate and steel steerer. Also the U-turn is coil and not air. So heavier. But otherwise v similar to old Rev.
    But if you want to jump bridges on the trail, and hit some doubles and some bigger drops in the park, then 35...
    As you already worked out, adjustable travel is the best thing ever for those with real trails who pedal up and descend fast.
    I love it so much, I have a Reba Team dual air that I hardly use any more just because it's not externally adjustable. It's light, plush and strong, but U-turn is so useful that I ride the heavier, cheaper Recon 351 on the light bike.
    Coil U-turn tends to have a wider adjustment range. Also super-easy to service. V reliable. Heavier. Obviously. But cheap.
    You would need X-firm (black) spring though. Std is red for max 160lbs. I ride blue.
    You could lose 10lb or you need black.
    And you'd be at the lighish end so it might feel stiff. So, at your current weight, if you don't want to lose 10 and sneak in on the blue spring, then you are right to go with air.
    Air is also SUPER HANDY if you want anyone else to ever ride that bike.

Final note. My 32mm forks use QR Axle. Like I said. No probs. If you get Maxle yours will be stiffer and you just have to worry about rims strong enough to take what the fork can.
    I ride light rims on the light bike 400-430g depending on set. Rims start to get strong enough to thrash on a trail bike about 500g.
    I climb a lot, so I prefer the light wheels and the occasional rebuild.

On the heavy trail bike I use the Lyrik and 31mm rims. Can handle almost anything. But it's like 6lb heavier than the light bike so sucks for climbing relatively speaking (actually still great for climbing thanks to 2-step, just not as good as the 6lb lighter and steeper angled bike).
    Your Rev is the sweet spot for XC thru medium AM at your weight. You are doing good there.
    Last edited by Ecogeek; 04-17-2011 at 09:10 PM.