mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2009 Trek Fuel EX 8 Rear Swingarm Bearing Replacement

Not sure if this is the right forum but there's no 'maintenance' forum - perhaps the tool forum is more suited, but not sure.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the bearings on their ex8 rear swingarm - around the 2009 model year?

I've taken mine apart and they are completely burnt out, so I was going to replace them. I've searched the net and haven't found any guide or way to do this...I've read that there's specific trek tools to do this but only shops have it. So I was wondering if I should have a go at it or take it in to the shop?

I'm a do it yourself kind of guy so I'd rather do it myself, but not if I'm going to mess it all up.

Just looking for thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=jbsmith;10233329]Not sure if this is the right forum but there's no 'maintenance' forum - perhaps the tool forum is more suited, but not sure.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the bearings on their ex8 rear swingarm - around the 2009 model year?

Might try the Trek forum. Quite a few manufactures consider bearing replacement a job for an authorized dealer. The manufactures that do give instruction a lot of time sell specific tools for the job - Santa Cruz comes to mind. Proper replacement is done by pressing. If you find yourself w/ a hammer and block of wood you might want to put them down.