mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2009 Rock Shox Reba SL Question, Stanchions Marked, OPINIONS

Hello Everyone,

I've been browsing around the site for a few weeks now and just wanted to say love the site- lots of good information.

I recently bought a 2009 Rock Shox Reba SL (dual air motion control) fork off ebay. The seller said the shock was in great working order.

I decided to pull the fork apart to inspect and put new oil in. I noticed on the stanchions there are marks-wear (most noticeably on the air side stanchion). The marks are not as rough as the pictures look.

Do you know what would cause these marks? Also, will the fork be fine if I clean very well and add oil?

I paid $200 for the fork, starting to think I should of saved up and bought new.

Please offer any advice or opinions. Pictures of what I'm talking...2009 Rock Shox Reba SL Question, Stanchions Marked, OPINIONS-forkfront.jpg2009 Rock Shox Reba SL Question, Stanchions Marked, OPINIONS-forkback.jpg2009 Rock Shox Reba SL Question, Stanchions Marked, OPINIONS-forkcloseup.jpg2009 Rock Shox Reba SL Question, Stanchions Marked, OPINIONS-forckcloseup2.jpg

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Dried-out foam seal, from lack of service. Or, somebody tried to raise/lower the fork height incorrectly and messed-up the shim stacks.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Dried-out foam seal, from lack of service. Or, somebody tried to raise/lower the fork height incorrectly and messed-up the shim stacks.
    The foam seals had some oil on them but look to be pretty worn out. Looking for some new ones from the LBS. Also, the lowers look pretty nasty inside, plan to give them a good cleaning. Is there anything else I can do to prevent more wear?

How would messing with shim stacks cause wear on the stanchions? The shim stacks are inside the stanchions so don't understand how they would affect the outside??? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Either way I will rip into the fork farther and make sure everything looks like the manual shows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well cleaned up the fork the best I could and put it on the bike. Feels pretty smooth, allot better than the RST Gila fork that came with the bike. Just hope it lasts.

Curious... when I hit bumps or pull up on the bike should I hear a little bit of a swoosh air noise from the fork... figured this is normal since it's an air shock but have no experience.