mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2009 Manitou forks?

Anybody got any news on 2009 Manitou forks? Just thinking if its worth waiting or getting some of this years before the price hike of 2009!
    Thanx Max

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am interested too! What is new @ Manitou besides the new Dorado? How about the Nixon, Travis etc.??

eBiker
    This is all I could find:
    http://www.mtbr.com/TRD_16_416crx.aspx

P

joefi
    Aug 2006
    It seems like Manitou has dropped off the face of the earth?? Do any new 2009 bikes equip their bikes with manitou?? I've had a skareb for 4-5 years now and it has treated me well. looking to buy a new fork, should i even consider manitou or just go with fox? i'm a 200 lbs xc rider that does some racing, but mostly goes out 3 times a week to ride. any suggestions? thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just did a trade up of my '03 Skareb Super for an '09 R7 Super TPC. I needed a new rebound damper for my Skareb, which Manitou no longer had. Their solution was to have me send in my old broken Skareb, and they'd sell me a new '09 R7 Super TPC for $160. Needless to say, they didn't let me down -- I was all set to spring for a Reba, but I'm sticking with TPC (thanks Manitou!) Trouble is, the new R7 they sent my LBS didn't include a manual, and I've been unable to locate one online. A service manual would be nice. All they have on the Manitou site is the '08 service manual. Really, I'm not sure what I have in the '09 R7 Super -- there's no documentation.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by chochojoe
    It seems like Manitou has dropped off the face of the earth?? Do any new 2009 bikes equip their bikes with manitou?? I've had a skareb for 4-5 years now and it has treated me well. looking to buy a new fork, should i even consider manitou or just go with fox? i'm a 200 lbs xc rider that does some racing, but mostly goes out 3 times a week to ride. any suggestions? thanks.
    Giant did up until a couple years ago. Intense still uses the rear shocks for their downhill bikes. I know Ibex and a couple other bargain brands were using their components but I wouldn't consider that a reflection on the quality. Hayes purchasing the company seems to have shifted it to a more aftermarket oriented thing and their street rep I think has dissuaded companies from picking them for OEM spec. I'd look for Manitou to be coming back in a big way soon now that the new Dorado is out and Kovarick is tearing it up on the DH circuit (when he doesn't ball it up). Their image with the downhill community is already on the mend despite the fact they've been offering solid components that work great in all categories for over 4 years now. I really hope to see a more aggressive marketing approach from Hayes, I agree it seems they've disappeared when they offer more great, reliable products than ever before.

Fox offers good components that have their own quirks, same with Manitou. You really need to compare stuff side by side as opposed to brand vs. brand, at least that's the way I go about it. For example I only run SRAM rear derailleurs and shifters because I think it's a better product, however I run a Shimano front derailleur because I think their FD's work better. Similar thing for their forks when comparing models.
    Bike good, work bad.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by martylane
    Trouble is, the new R7 they sent my LBS didn't include a manual, and I've been unable to locate one online. A service manual would be nice. All they have on the Manitou site is the '08 service manual. Really, I'm not sure what I have in the '09 R7 Super -- there's no documentation.
    Have you tried calling them directly? Their service techs have been above and beyond helpful with me regarding any questions I've had about my Manitou products. I like to track stuff down on the internet if I can but sometimes an old fashioned phone call is what it takes to get the goods. I'm sure they will find a solution for you if you talk to them.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wish i could say the same now... bought my minuite mrd absolute thru jenson in june/july 2008.
    My minute had a suck down its 4th ride in july/august .. about 50km of road and zero off road... manitou tech were nice enough to send me spares. but on a rebuild, the left leg was jammed after the rebuild. there was negative air in the chamber and i couldn't pull it out at all.

after waiting on advice and thinking how to sort it out i finally managed to gotten manitou to agree to taking it in to fix the problem.

I finally sent it in in Feburary.

its been 4 mths since i sent my fork to them and many correspondence over the mail and a promise of a replacement fork. and till today the 1 yr warranty has finally ran out, and i bought a 500buck fork that i used for 4 times and worst of all i dun even have it with me anymore after sending it back to manitou.

I should have gotten a fox f100 or a reba. kinda really regretting it now for trying out of the norm brands.

my xc bike been hanging on the stand since without a damn fork since august.what am i to do. they dun even respond to email for the past 3 weeks?

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhanney
    my xc bike been hanging on the stand since without a damn fork since august.what am i to do. they dun even respond to email for the past 3 weeks?
    I've said this a million times regarding CS complaints. CALL THEM WITH YOUR PHONE. Emails are spotty and impersonal, I check my account once or twice a month, I know it's poor business practice but I've found this to be common with lots of bike companies. If I were you I'd be calling them and opening up a can of I'm-pissed-as-hell-and-demand-a-fork. You'd be surprised how much more quickly a company responds given a pissed off customer. Not to mention your experience is completely off from any interaction I've had with them. They have one of the best CS departments in the industry, take advantage of it by calling them.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ok I will just call them up later talk to them about it.thanks for the advice.

Go back to school
    I had a pair of 04' Manitou Minutes and I couldn't get them to not blow up. I had my LBS tell me I blew them up in way that was impossible...I stopped going to him and sold the forks. I rode them hard but should they really blow up? This is when they were at their worst though.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    5 years is a looong time in the bike industry. look at that era of rockshox forks.... pure junk.