mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2009 fox 36 float r gritty travel

my fork is gritty and feels like theres contact inside the legs. had them serviced but still isnt smooth. have compared with my friends floats even rockshox forx. suntour epicon feels much smoother. brought them back to an authorized fox service center but they said there's nothing wrong with it. but i am 100% positive it feels very very different from other floats. what could be wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got nothing but general advice here:

Don't be afraid either to return the fork to the service centre, or talk to FOX directly. The first option is better, as you can explain and show the issue to the tech or a knowledgeable person, and hopefully get them to tell you what their thoughts on the issue are. A service with a full seal kit should make the fork work beautifully again. If it isn't, there was either a problem with the service, or a pre-existing issue which was perhaps exposed by the service.

I had a similar issue with a PUSH tune on a RP23. It came back and was terrible (worse than it left). I returned it with a description of how it was performing, and it was re-done and was great afterwards.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    that's what i did. i returned it after the service. they also put 2012 skf low friction seals on it. no difference. they said there's nothing wrong with it. i know there's nothing wrong with the rebound damper. it's smooth. i just dont know about the air chamber. on the fox website they mentioned something about air piston/seal replacement on their full service strip down. i'll try to bring it to another service center. thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    MAN.......there is a big problem with your fork and that is the alignment of the bushing and the stanchions.
    easy.
    nothing to say.
    Fox is crap. lots of 36 out there with poorly executed stanchions. You probably have the stanchions with 110mm parallelism, and your lowers are 111mm or 109..the fork is force mounted to slide.
    what happen then?.....the fork can't be plush because there is no parallelism on the sliding system.
    throw it away and buy a proper fork.

you could solve a stiction problem of present, but you can't solve a main aligment problem, unless you cut the arch, and reweld the fork with proper distances...

don't waist money on stupid enduro seals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kimi rossi View Post
    my fork is gritty and feels like theres contact inside the legs. had them serviced but still isnt smooth. have compared with my friends floats even rockshox forx. suntour epicon feels much smoother. brought them back to an authorized fox service center but they said there's nothing wrong with it. but i am 100% positive it feels very very different from other floats. what could be wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    When did it start to feel like that?

It's a 3 year old fork, so there's always the possibility something was damaged, which is now causing the problems. Before you take it in for service again, do some problem isolation yourself to find the issue. First thing to do is remove the wheel and insert the axle. It should easily slide in, and you should need to tweak the fork in any way to get it to fit; if you need to tweak it, then either your lowers or uppers are bent. Next remove both the damper and air spring and cycle the fork by hand. It should feel smooth and slide easily. Next, turn your rebound to full fast and cycle the damper by hand; there should be resistance, but it should be smooth and even. Next, re-install your air spring but leave the top cap off. Cycle the fork and see how it feels. Re-install the damper, cycle the fork, see how it feels. Finally, slowly increase the air pressure and see how it feels. At one point, you should feel a significant increase in friction, which will tell you where the problem lies.

Quote Originally Posted by davide2tempi View Post
    Blah, blah, blah
    Really? More of your ranting?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hi bad mechanic. I bought it brand new in june 2010 as an old stock. it was my 1st float 36 since i came from a:

1. 32 vanilla R
    2. revelation 426
    3. pike 426

then i sold the pike for this one. since i read from some reviews that the float is not as smooth as the vanilla, i thought that it was normal. I thought after the 1st service it would smoothen up as they said brand new forx don't have enough oil in them. So yes it was like this since it was new.

@davide.. i think too that it is possible to have mis aligned lowers/stanchions. but ever since the service I did a few research and DIY. I opened it up, removed the air spring and rebound damper. Slid the lowers and stanchions in (without oil) and it was smooth. i installed the air spring (without the damper) pumped it up and there it was. GRITTY travel. a feeling of something rubbing inside.

I found in some article on the net with the same issue as mine. They said that the negative spring is bent and rubs against the outer spring of the air spring assembly.

anyway, there's one more bike shop here that specializes on forks only. They have quite a good rep with fork service. hopefully they would be able to solve this. thanks guys for the help. update you whatever happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    @bad mechanic, i followed your advice and found it smooth with both air chamber and damper removed. rebound damper is smooth. the feeling of rubbing comes out when install the air spring and pump it up.