mtbr member

2008 Reba SL 29er - setup, service, parts?

I just picked up a used 2008 Reba SL dual air 29er fork for a SS project. I have always used Fox forks, and this is my first Rock Shox fork so I am a bit naive to even the most basic stuff.

I did a quick web search and found the service manual, but can't seem to find basic info on setup. This fork has a positive and negative air chamber, a new concept to me, and I just want to know how to get it dialed in.

Also, the guy I bought it from said it was in need of service - seals and oil. I have always had my service done by a mechanic, but have heard that RS service is easier than Fox. Is this true? Something I should try myself, or best left to a pro?

Finally, it looks like the fork is missing a cover on the threaded post at the bottom of the non-drive side. Is this something I can get through RS? On a more aesthetic note, does RS offer replacement lowers for this fork in white?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "I did a quick web search and found the service manual, but can't seem to find basic info on setup. This fork has a positive and negative air chamber, a new concept to me, and I just want to know how to get it dialed in."

To start with let most (not all) of the air out of the negative chamber. Next set your sag by increasing or decreasing pressure in the positive chamber. Once you have the sag dialed where you want it make note of the air pressure that gives you that sag. where you set the negative pressure will determine how responsive the fork is to small bumps. It's a personal preference thing, i.e. how you want the fork to feel. Negative pressure equal to or just slightly above (5 psi) the positive chamber will give the best small bump compliance, lower pressure will give a stiffer feel. Experiment with the negative pressure to find your preference.

"Also, the guy I bought it from said it was in need of service - seals and oil. I have always had my service done by a mechanic, but have heard that RS service is easier than Fox. Is this true? Something I should try myself, or best left to a pro?"

Your call, it's not that hard and parts should be readily available. You have the service manual, if you can follow directions, are mechanically inclined and have the tools, you should be able to do it yourself. But you can't skip steps or do it your way. Also if you intend to replace the bushings, this is best left to a professional. It's not that it's rocket science or anything like that. But bushing replacement requires very specific, and quite expensive I might add, tools for both removal and install. Most DIY mechanics simply can't afford the tools. If you get the tools it's certainly doable on your own though.

"Finally, it looks like the fork is missing a cover on the threaded post at the bottom of the non-drive side. Is this something I can get through RS?"

That "cover" is actually a valve cap for the negative air chamber valve. Replacements are included in the service kit here Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Service Kits , along with other parts that you will need for the rebuild/service. You'll need the first kit top of the list. It does not however include the wipers and seals for the fork lowers those you need to purchase separately. Those you would get here, Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Slider Dust Wipers and Seal Kits , third one down, item # 497-21944. As a side note, you can't get stuff from RS direct. They work only through their dealer network. So don't try getting parts from RS, find a dealer, or any shop that orders parts through QBP. QBP has an extensive stock of RS parts.

"On a more aesthetic note, does RS offer replacement lowers for this fork in white?"

Can't help you on this one. The oldest Reba lowers I've seen available new are for 09 or newer forks. And anything I've seen are black. Again a good resource would be an LBS or dealer. And they wouldn't be cheap! The QR lowers retail for $190 and the 20mm Maxel lowers retail for $215.

Hope that helps you out.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Awesome info! Pretty much everything I needed to know to get me started. Thanks so much!