mtbr member

2008 Manitou Swinger X4 Air?

Hi Is anyone else here running the 08 X4 Air?
    If so what are you running for SPV Air pressure and how well does the silver 4 position SPV platform lever work for you?

I have tried SPV pressures everywhere in the recommended range of 100 psi (min) to 250 psi (max for 08) and anything over 100 psi the rebound is too slow and the shock feels too firm.
    Also the platform lever doesn't seem to do that much.

I was told that with the lever in the 1st click the shock should be pretty plush and in the
    4th click (clockwise) the shock should be almost locked out.
    Mine does not do that.
    It feels plusher in the lower pressure ranges like my older 3 way air.
    It ramps up a tiny bit but does not come close to feeling locked out in the 4th click of the platform lever.

The reason I ask is because there isn't much info out about this shock and I have asked 3 different people at Manitou and have got 3 different answers on how this shock works.
    One person told me I can run the shock all the way down to 50 psi like the older SPV shocks. (The lowest I went is 80 psi and it felt like my 05 3 way air)
    Another has told me that the air was set from the factory and I shouldn't have adjusted the air at all.
    The first thing I did when I got this shock was make sure it had enough air in the IFP chamber so I wouldn't damage it.like I have done with all my previous SPV/CVT shocks before installation.
    The needle on my SPV pump (175 max) went well beyond the 175 mark..

I'd really like to hear from others how this shock is working for them and what you are running for setups to see if there might be a problem with mine.

My set up..
    Weight 170 lbs without gear. 115 psi Main for 30% sag,100 psi Spv,
    Volume 0 turns in, Rebound full fast.
    It feels pretty good with these settings but I would prefer faster rebound, the platform lever doesn't do much at all, and the most shaft travel I have had is 2 inches out of the 2.5 stroke.

Thanks

Last edited by mcrumble69; 07-27-2008 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I purchased an X4 for my SC Blur LT. It was to replace my Fox RP23. I ran 120psi in the SPV and 150 psi in the main (if memory serves correct). If I ran below 100 psi in the SPV the SPV lever had less effect . Overall the shock felt over dampened. I sent it to Manitou for a check up. Got a call from Manitou asking if I wanted to try an ISX 4 because it would be a btter match for my BLT...ok. ISX rode similar to the X4 neither shock could get full travel either. Not a fan of Manitou's CS so the shock went on the auction block. I see in the picture you have a Bullit - DHX coil was the best match and I ran just about every shock made on that frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I purchased an X4 for my SC Blur LT. It was to replace my Fox RP23. I ran 120psi in the SPV and 150 psi in the main (if memory serves correct). If I ran below 100 psi in the SPV the SPV lever had less effect . Overall the shock felt over dampened. I sent it to Manitou for a check up. Got a call from Manitou asking if I wanted to try an ISX 4 because it would be a btter match for my BLT...ok. ISX rode similar to the X4 neither shock could get full travel either. Not a fan of Manitou's CS so the shock went on the auction block. I see in the picture you have a Bullit - DHX coil was the best match and I ran just about every shock made on that frame.
    Thanks for the info.
    Mine felt good at 80 psi but with so many different answers I was afraid to run it that low.
    I pumped it back up to 100 minimum and it feels firmer than I prefer and the rebound is slower than I like.
    Did yours also have the slow rebound?
    I really liked the 5th coil i had on the bike first so I wanted to try something similar but air.
    I like the X4 A LOT better than the DHX Air I had before but I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it because the lever really doesn't do anything.
    How much of a difference did it make on yours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Thanks for the info.
    Mine felt good at 80 psi but with so many different answers I was afraid to run it that low.
    I pumped it back up to 100 minimum and it feels firmer than I prefer and the rebound is slower than I like.
    Did yours also have the slow rebound?
    I like the shock A LOT better than the DHX Air I had before but I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it because the lever really doesn't really do anything.
    How much of a difference did it make on yours?
    Less than 100psi in the SPV and the lever feel was not as pronounced. I am just no a fan of SPV it's low speed compression threshold isn't seemless in feel like a Fox's Propedal. Rebound was fine. Try sending it to Manitou but I think the SPV just doesn't compare to Propedal.