Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am gathering from what I'm reading on here that my Iron Horse Le has an '07 manitou Nixon TPC Plus Elite on it, it has 115-145 of travel. Thinking of doing a rebuild with the stiffer spring and changing the oil. Everyone is right the online manuals are not so good, I feel the fork is getting softer and just doesn't have the same feel as it did, I just put a Fox Float CTD on the rear. Guessing the new rear has shown the limits of the front, age too. Having a hard time finding the amount of oil to put in and it's weight. sorry I can't seem to find what I'm looking for though search or the manuals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just checked the website - service manuals - it shows the oil height, which is for the damper, assume 5wt.

Semi-bath (I use synth engine oil 5w-30), not sure volume, my Minute is 15ml per leg I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmx scotty View Post
    I am gathering from what I'm reading on here that my Iron Horse Le has an '07 manitou Nixon TPC Plus Elite on it, it has 115-145 of travel. Thinking of doing a rebuild with the stiffer spring and changing the oil. Everyone is right the online manuals are not so good, I feel the fork is getting softer and just doesn't have the same feel as it did, I just put a Fox Float CTD on the rear. Guessing the new rear has shown the limits of the front, age too. Having a hard time finding the amount of oil to put in and it's weight. sorry I can't seem to find what I'm looking for though search or the manuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    I just checked the website - service manuals - it shows the oil height, which is for the damper, assume 5wt.

Semi-bath (I use synth engine oil 5w-30), not sure volume, my Minute is 15ml per leg I think.
    115-145mm is the same as my 05 Nixon. The oil is easy, set by height as FSRXC said. Heights work better than volumes.

16cc is stock in each leg. I'm currently running 30cc in each leg but I have the 2006 cartridge damper which gives more air space in the damper leg for the oil to blow up into on full compression.
    Results with engine oils are all over the place. I'm using Supergliss in the lowers and it's the best lube oil I've ever tried.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey thanks for the quick replies! I guess I'll go with the motor oil route everyone seems to be going with. I'm still not sure on the amount but I'll look again at the manuals. The reasoning behind more oil still kinda confuses me. i would like to stiffen it up some, that's why I was thinking about a stiffer spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    BTW, I do really like the fork, with this bike I do mostly trail and some small drops and a little jumping. From what I've read even though it is dated it is still a fav of those that have or had them, seems worth re doing the oil and/or spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmx scotty View Post
    BTW, I do really like the fork, with this bike I do mostly trail and some small drops and a little jumping. From what I've read even though it is dated it is still a fav of those that have or had them, seems worth re doing the oil and/or spring.
    My 2005 Nixon still has pride of place on my main bike. It was and still is an amazing fork for performance and longevity.

I have run more oil as an experiment to see if it will lubricate better and for longer. The stock 16cc works fine.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2