mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2008 manitou Minute Elite TPC alterations.

Hi there. I have a 2008 Manitou Minute Elite TPC with 120mm travel. It's a pretty good fork for what I paid for it but it bob's a tad too much and suffers from brake dive. I would've liked the absolute version but $$$ were tight at the time.

I weigh about 195lbs, about 205-210 fully shod for riding. I have about 110 psi in the fork which seems the best point for a compromise between preventing dive and getting near full travel. The oil has been topped up because it was seriously low (according to the manitou manual).

I've read a few posts that allude to the fact that Manitou's with TPC are easy to manipulate in order to get the ride you want. Is there anything I can do to remedy these issues, even a little bit?

Thanks in advance groovers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    unfortunately most bike gear is tuned for riders at about 150lbs.. im in the same boat, nothing has enough compression!

if its diving AND your high speed compression is lacking, try thicker oil.. it'll raise all your compression damping, from low to high speed. if that doesnt work, or that gives you too much high speed harshness, you need thicker shims.. id try oil first because its the easiest change.

eBiker
    I think Manitou air spring forks have a coil assist, and you can get one better tuned to your weight. You are in the higher spring rate. Call Manitou.

I would go spring before compression tuning. Manitou TPC is very good when properly sprung.

P

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I think Manitou air spring forks have a coil assist, and you can get one better tuned to your weight. You are in the higher spring rate. Call Manitou.

I would go spring before compression tuning. Manitou TPC is very good when properly sprung.

P

correct! I just ordered the spring and it is on they way over here..I am experiencing the same thing...

I also have some thicker oil to try out to tune it further...if necessary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JP...
    Hi there. I have a 2008 Manitou Minute Elite TPC with 120mm travel. It's a pretty good fork for what I paid for it but it bob's a tad too much and suffers from brake dive. I would've liked the absolute version but $$$ were tight at the time.

I weigh about 195lbs, about 205-210 fully shod for riding. I have about 110 psi in the fork which seems the best point for a compromise between preventing dive and getting near full travel. The oil has been topped up because it was seriously low (according to the manitou manual).

I've read a few posts that allude to the fact that Manitou's with TPC are easy to manipulate in order to get the ride you want. Is there anything I can do to remedy these issues, even a little bit?

Thanks in advance groovers.
    Yes, the spring plays a big role in the performance of the fork. Replace that with the heavy spring and you should be good to go.

If you really want to improve the bike, take out the compression damper (very easy) and take a look at the shim stack. This thread has some great info:

More shim-stack info please?

I had an old Black 120 Super fork (similar to your minute). I changed the TPC lockout to plain TPC with a modified shim stack. I used 3 equal large shims followed by a pyrimid stack below (1 shim each 3 total). This gave me a strong platform that broke easily into it travel and felt amazing. I had put the fork on my new bike when I sent my 2007 TALAS RLC to get some service and I actually preferred it to the TALAS. Not as stiff but much plusher and better in the mid stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Good news is coming your way, for 2010 Manitou has the new Absolute+ damper that can be retrofited into your fork. Its suppose to use a shim-stack a-la TPC for high speed compression and a needle valve for low speed compression, the low speed compression is adjustable so you could tune the bobbing and brake dive right out of your fork yet still have the excellent high speed damping that all TPC forks have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info guys.

Unfortunately, the distributor here in Australia doesn't have parts for 2008 forks. They're too new apparently. Funny, as the reason I bought this 2008 model was because they didn't have parts for my 2005 Minute... too old! %^@*$#%^&!

I'm trying to source the spring over the 'net but they (the distributors) reckon to try 10 wt oil. I'll see how it goes.

Why are things so FREAKING complicated?

mtbr member
    I have 2008 Minute Elite ABS at 140mm and in calling Manitou, the same spring is used in the 05 - 07 145mm Nixon Super Air. Additionally, they said for service on my 08, use the 2007 Manitou guide. In the 2007 guide they list part number 83-3177 for a Minute 120mm. Maybe give Manitou a call or email to validate it's the same. Jenson and CRC were able to get me the 140mm so might have luck?

squish is good
    JP, I bet if you can get a hold of Manitou North America they can work something out for you. Their CS is very accommodating, if they can't figure out a way to get you the part through your distributor they should be able to get one to you another way.

08 being too new is a lousy excuse to leave a disappointed customer.
    Bike good, work bad.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    here's a pic of the spring for the 120mm Minute (I got it through Chad @ Red Barn)

Manitou spring kit for 2008 Minute TPC

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    just put this upgrade into my 29er minute and i am VERY happy!

mtbr member
    Does anybody know an online place where to buy shims? All the local motorcycle & automotive shops were flabbergasted... (shims? huh? whatnow?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004