mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New question here. 2008 888 RC3 WC service instructions

I tried to search but it's difficult when the search feature only picks up words that are 4 letters long or greater (so looking for 888, rc3, oil are all ignored). Looks like it's pretty difficult to find any technical documentation on servicing 2008+ marzocchi products and to this day I have yet to service a bike fork but I figure it's about time.

My fork has fairly fresh seals and oil but I need to swap out the spring for a lighter one. I will pull the current coil and if the oil looks like it needs to be replaced I will do so now, otherwise I will ride as is until DH season kicks off here in a couple of months.

I think the coil side is fairly self explanatory (remove top adjusters, unscrew top cap, pull spring/guides, remove old oil, replace with new oil (80ml?), button everything back up?). I'm at a bit of a loss on the RC3 side. Any direction would be appreciated.

While I'm on the topic, any oil suggestions would be great (amount, weight, etc). I'm 170lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This is from memory so bear with me...

Hold the rebound knob and remove with a 2mm hex key. Be careful not to lose the detent balls and tiny springs underneath. The volume adjust knob will lift off after this, again, detent ball underneath (recessed into top cap). You will need a 26mm wrench/socket to remove the top cap. Be careful, it's very short and soft aluminum = easy to strip.

You can do an oil change at this point, or if you wish to to take off the foot nut:

Remove the compression knob by unscrewing the recessed set screws. Again, detent ball inside. A 17mm socket will loosen the footnut. You can then remove the RC3 cart and pump it to remove all the oil. I think 330cc of oil is the factory recommendation, but keep in mind that is if you get ALL of the old oil out. You could try removing 10cc of oil at a time and see if you like it better.

Reassembly is the reverse. To tighten the footnut you can use an electric impact gun ON THE LOWEST TORQUE SETTING or you can hold the compression adjuster rod with pliers and tighten the 17mm footnut with a wrench.