mtbr member

2007 Super T RCV is not plush enough for the wife.

Just bought a used '06 Jamis Diablo for the wife to use on some lift assisted DH. She weighs about 135 lbs.

The previous owner replaced the stock Manitou Stance with an '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV.

It has non-replaceable coil springs with air preload in both legs, I let out all the air and cranked the external compression damping all the way down. After this weekend of riding at Northstar doing some 3ft drops to flat, nothing too big but definitely not straight up XC, she had only gone through about half the travel.

What can I do short of selling her fork and buying a Boxxer or Totem with replaceable coil springs to make it work a little better for her? Or should I just save my time/money/aggravation and buy a new fork because this one definitely won't work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    Just bought a used '06 Jamis Diablo for the wife to use on some lift assisted DH. She weighs about 135 lbs.

The previous owner replaced the stock Manitou Stance with an '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV.

It has non-replaceable coil springs with air preload in both legs, I let out all the air and cranked the external compression damping all the way down. After this weekend of riding at Northstar doing some 3ft drops to flat, nothing too big but definitely not straight up XC, she had only gone through about half the travel.

What can I do short of selling her fork and buying a Boxxer or Totem with replaceable coil springs to make it work a little better for her? Or should I just save my time/money/aggravation and buy a new fork because this one definitely won't work?
    Try pulling one of the springs out.

banned

It has non-replaceable coil springs with air preload in both legs, I let out all the air and cranked the external compression damping all the way down.
    By this do you mean that you increased (+) the compression damping? For the least amount of compression damping, I always assumed that decreased the damping (-). This could be part of the problem.

Flying Goat
    2.5wt oil???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Try pulling one of the springs out.
    Thanks Never thought of that, sounds like a great idea. I think I'll give that a shot, anyone else try pulling a spring from a Marzocchi 2 x coil fork and running it with a single coil successfully? Is either leg a better option?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    By this do you mean that you increased (+) the compression damping? For the least amount of compression damping, I always assumed that decreased the damping (-). This could be part of the problem.
    I minimized the damping, turned it all the way in the "-" direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    2.5wt oil???
    That was my first instinct as well as oil volume. Will definitely be doing that, was just not sure that it would be enough. I think if I pull one of the coils too as 006_007 suggested I think it should work.

mbtr member
    you can also compress the fork a bit and open the preload valve to run negative preload.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    you can also compress the fork a bit and open the preload valve to run negative preload.
    Never knew that was possible, I'll give that a shot since I haven't been able to find a service manual for the '07 Super T RCV and I'm fork surgery virgin. Sounds like a really easy option, thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    So I tried the negative air pressure by opening the valve and compressing the fork. It made it a little more plush, but really didn't make too much of a difference.

I think I'm going to try taking out one of the springs.

I still haven't been able to find a manual for the '07 Super T, the closest thing I could find was an '06 Jr T manual. Based on the '06 Jr T all I need to do is unscrew the top cap and pull the spring out. Is this procedure similar on the Super T?

Thanks.

Flying Goat
    So I tried the negative air pressure by opening the valve and compressing the fork. It made it a little more plush, but really didn't make too much of a difference.

I think I'm going to try taking out one of the springs.

I still haven't been able to find a manual for the '07 Super T, the closest thing I could find was an '06 Jr T manual. Based on the '06 Jr T all I need to do is unscrew the top cap and pull the spring out. Is this procedure similar on the Super T?

Thanks.
    pm Dave and bring the bike over... he might be able to help ya out on taking the fork apart. I would try something like an oil change or something first. Simple and swap. There's also a trail close by in Pinole which we can test it out on...

mtbr member
    pm Dave and bring the bike over... he might be able to help ya out on taking the fork apart. I would try something like an oil change or something first. Simple and swap. There's also a trail close by in Pinole which we can test it out on...
    That would be sweet. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we're headed to Northstar on Friday and coming back on Saturday so we won't get a chance to come over before before heading to N*.

I'll go ahead and PM Dave to see if he is available on Saturday evening or Sunday.

I called Marzocchi earlier today, they actually recommended taking out both springs and making it an air fork I asked if I could just take out one and they said that I could but it still might not be soft enough. They were very helpful and said that typically riders under 140 lbs need to take out coil springs to setup the fork for their weight. I also want to change the oil, I was hoping to do both jobs in one fell swoop. I'll see if I can find some 5 or 2.5 wt oil.

Dirt Diva Little h

Try the spring removal

I owned a Z1 FR1 and am 127# and had to remove one spring to get the proper sag and use the travel. Try it and see if the sag is right. What other adjustments does the fork have? Oil weight is a good call as well but I would try 5wt. Marzocchi runs 7.5wt. I have put 5wt in my 888 and that worked great and also in my fox 40 (damper) and it helped alot.
    If you go the new fork route the totem coil rocks for light riders. The white spring is the lightest and you may have to get it direct from RS, I did. It is the plushest fork I have ever ridden and 6.1 pounds with the white spring and 1.5" steerer tube. And I did not have to change the oil weight. Good luck!
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heather@thebakkers.com
    I owned a Z1 FR1 and am 127# and had to remove one spring to get the proper sag and use the travel. Try it and see if the sag is right. What other adjustments does the fork have? Oil weight is a good call as well but I would try 5wt. Marzocchi runs 7.5wt. I have put 5wt in my 888 and that worked great and also in my fox 40 (damper) and it helped alot.
    If you go the new fork route the totem coil rocks for light riders. The white spring is the lightest and you may have to get it direct from RS, I did. It is the plushest fork I have ever ridden and 6.1 pounds with the white spring and 1.5" steerer tube. And I did not have to change the oil weight. Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. The fork has air preload in both legs along with external rebound and low speed compression.

I'd really rather not turn it into an air fork so hopefully removing one of the springs does the trick. Between the light weight oil and the spring removal I have a feeling it will work out well.

She was actually into the Totem, if these mods don't get the Super T to behave nicely she'll be getting a Totem coil.

Flying Goat
    Thanks for the input. The fork has air preload in both legs along with external rebound and low speed compression.

I'd really rather not turn it into an air fork so hopefully removing one of the springs does the trick. Between the light weight oil and the spring removal I have a feeling it will work out well.

She was actually into the Totem, if these mods don't get the Super T to behave nicely she'll be getting a Totem coil.
    you're going into the right direction... Moco is where it's at... XD Why not a Boxxer??? Hmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    I would try with 1 spring and no air first, see if that works.

Not a big fan of a pure air fork as if the air fails you gotta sh!tty walk out. But if Zoke says its ok they know best.

mtbr member
    you're going into the right direction... Moco is where it's at... XD Why not a Boxxer??? Hmmmmmmm
    She doesn't seem to be into raising the front end any higher than it is. She also wouldn't mind going with a 1.5 steerer and ditching the reducers, but most importantly those 40mm stanchions are damn sexy

Flying Goat
    She doesn't seem to be into raising the front end any higher than it is. She also wouldn't mind going with a 1.5 steerer and ditching the reducers, but most importantly those 40mm stanchions are damn sexy
    A2C of the Boxxer is 4mm shorter than the super t. Totem is 5mm shorter than the Boxxer.

mtbr member
    A2C of the Boxxer is 4mm shorter than the super t. Totem is 5mm shorter than the Boxxer.
    Yeah, just noticed that. The Boxxer sounds like a good cheap option.

ride hard take risks
    Sunday we took the fork apart drained the stock krapy fluid out and found the seals & dust covers were ultra dry. Thought I had enough Showa 2.5 to do both fork legs but I was wrong so I did the 2.5 in the left leg and Maxima #5 synthetic in the right at 100mm with a single spring, washer & preload spacer in the right side. Re assembled using RaceTec seal lube on the seals & dust covers wow soooo smooth compared to stock. Did some fiddling with air pressures & adjustments then suddenly it woke up.

Now we wait for the ride results thanxz for all the feed back was all useful.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot