Kneel Before Your Master

2007 Marzocchi Corsa SL World Cup - 80mm

Is this shock a good buy at $300 used? I just got a brand new Giant Trance and it came with a Rockshox Recon fork. It doesn't seem to have the best ratings. Also, will a 80mm fork be okay for xc mostly?

ups and downs
    The 80mm Corsa needs some tuning out of the box, oil level and weight generally, to prevent it from blowing through the travel on sharp hits and bottoming out. If you can get it to Marzocchi for tuning it's a decent price.

I had my Corsa tweaked by Marz Canada and it has been a very nice fork for XC use.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Below is the actual owners review on mtbr. It looks like he got it tuned after working with it.

"This is a good fork especially for single speed because you can really adjust the bob out of it without sacrificing too much small bump sensitivity.
    Set up is a pain because the manual does not give good air pressure recommendations and they fail to mention that the PAR chamber must be filled with no pressure in the SFA chamber. It took a lot of trial an error to get it right but since then it has been good. Just know going in that the air pressure/rider weight chart is not going to help a lot. Also remember that the SFA chamber needs to be 30 lbs less than the PAR chamber.
    I did have some serious stiction problems that was cured by changing the oil.

Good fork but can be tricky to set up."

ups and downs
    Here's the revised air pressure settings for the Corsa

http://marzocchi.com/System/54650/ATA%20SETUP.pdf

Kneel Before Your Master
    I am also worried about only having 80mm of travel. Seems like everyone on this forum is talking about 120mm and up in travel. However, I have to admit that I never do any drop offs and only occasionally jump anything significant.

ups and downs
    On a hardtail 80mm is perfect, no extreme changes in head angle thru the range of travel, and you don't really need to worry about a lockout because there ain't much bob on short travel fork. My 80mm Corsa equipped hardtail...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kneel Before Your Master
    I see, but what about my FS Giant Trance? Right now it has a Recon fork which I don't mind but in the back of my mind I know it is a bottom line fork. Would the 80mm corsa work okay on my bike? I think I might be better going for a 100mm or 120mm fork.

Sweet bike by the way. That thing just looks fast.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    80mm would go well on an Anthem, but it seems a bit too short for a Trance. My wife's one has a 100mm MX comp and it feels balanced, but it feels like it could handle more up front, if anything.

Brand new Marz 700 SLs can be had for about $350 on wheelworld, but they are a bit of a gamble with air migration and wind-down. RS Revelations can be had for around the same with U-turn coils and a bit more for air (off ebay). I think I'll get the wife one of them one day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    Is this shock a good buy at $300 used? I just got a brand new Giant Trance and it came with a Rockshox Recon fork. It doesn't seem to have the best ratings. Also, will a 80mm fork be okay for xc mostly?
    Put aside the fact that the Recon doesn't appear to have the best ratings and consider whether it's actual performance leaves you dissatisfied before spending money on a new fork. My bike came with a Recon 327. I ran a 2005 Marzocchi Marathon SL on it until I had bedding in the disc brakes, at which point the fork began to flex under braking to an unacceptable degree. I put a Reba motion control damping unit with floodgate in the Recon, and put it back on my bike.

The Recon isn't quite as adjustable as the Marzocchi but do I notice this on the trail? No. It's about 30gms heavier than the Marathon, but I don't notice this on the trail either. For all the talk about how good Marzocchi's damping feels I really can't say I feel much of a difference. The Recon feels a bit plusher, a bit more prone to brake dive, but you can tune that out with the floodgate if it concerns you.

Bottom line is that the Recon is way stiffer than the Marathon. I've toyed with the idea of upgrading to a Fox F100 RLC, but the Recon Race offers much the same features in terms of on the fly adjustment for a third of the price. I love having top of the line kit, but until I'm satisfied that any 1500gm fork will be as stiff as the Recon (at 300gms heavier), I won't be replacing it.

:Edit: Oh, and if it eases your mind any, the Recon is the "middle of the trail" Rock Shox XC fork with the Tora and Dart below, and Reba and Sid above.

ups and downs
    It's the battle of the Italian Taiwanese built fork versus the American Taiwanese built fork.

If you could find a 100mm RS Reba Team or Race you'd be getting a lighter version of the Recon. It's one of the better fork values out there.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Well I had my first ride on the Recon today and I was pretty happy with it. I think that I have so much to work on as far as my physical conditioning and technical skills that my fork is the last thing I need to worry about. Thanks for the comments guys.