mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2006 Z1 LIGHT ETA vs 2005 Z1 FR I ETA

What is the difference between these two forks? The light is a tad lighter.

Did the light version replace a spring with an air cartridge?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Also, how does the 2007 Z1 RC2 ETA differ? Did the others not use RC2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any experts on Z1 FR forks?

ay Diablo!
    I have an 03 Z1 FR, it has 130mm of set travel and no air preload with HSCV damping. I know the only difference from the 03-04 is that the 04 get black stanchions and air preload. The 05 I believe is the same as the 04, except it get 150mm of travel.
    The 06 Z1 light get a new dampener the rc2 and TAS, so the travel can be adjusted any where in between 130mm and 150mm.
    The fork I would like to up \grade to is the 06 Z1 light (if I had the money), but the Older Z1 FR are nice bomb proof forks, also you can pick them up next to nothing. Where as the Z1 light are tought to find (they are very popular, and for good reason). If you want to save some money, and do not have the need for travel change from a 150mm (all the forks have ETA for climbing) then get the 05 Z1 FR.
    But if you want the best and most versital, get the 06 Z1 light.

Hope that helps.
    Buena Suerte
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Flyin Canine
    Man it's lame that Marzocchi doesn't have a tech person chillin in here and looking at these boards. Posting up answers to questions like this really help people out and save a lot of phone calls to them, that is if you could even find their number easily.

Flyin Canine
    ok, so the number is not THAT hard to find but it is long distance. They don't even have an 800 number.

Who are the brain police?
    And that F-ING manual.

Way back when in 2000 I bought a Z1fly and the manual was a joke. It literally gave false information...

Fastforward to the present and I just bought my second zoke, an 07 z1 rc2 eta...

Now keep in mind I have no idea about what zoke has going on these days, so I'm relying on the manual for basics. Right in the beginning section it reads "For the fork legs with SFA or ETA cartriges, the adjustment of the initial sag is carried out by varying the SFA/ETA chamber pressure..."

WTF? Its a misprint. It should be "ATA" not "ETA", but I'm not up to speed so how should I know? Granted I quickly got over the point by messing w/ the fork all I could and reading all I could find..

But I NEVER had these issues w/ Fox. FOX manuals even helped disassemble and rebuild. Zoke tries their best to keep everything a mystery and when they do help its lost in translation.

I picture some Italian dude w/ high school level english translating this stuff...

Rant over. Zoke makes great stuff, they just don't help out.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    And that F-ING manual.

Way back when in 2000 I bought a Z1fly and the manual was a joke. It literally gave false information...

Fastforward to the present and I just bought my second zoke, an 07 z1 rc2 eta...

Now keep in mind I have no idea about what zoke has going on these days, so I'm relying on the manual for basics. Right in the beginning section it reads "For the fork legs with SFA or ETA cartriges, the adjustment of the initial sag is carried out by varying the SFA/ETA chamber pressure..."
    Agreed. Why is that part even in there? The fork doesn't have ATA. But the manual features descriptions of doublecrown forks, different axle mounting systems, and every 3 letter acronym they ever came up with.
    It would probably take 5 minutes to edit out the descriptions of features that the fork doesn't even have, making the manuals half as thick and far less confusing.

Luckily, most MZ forks are still not very complicated. The Z1 you have should be very easy to set up and work on.

Edit: while I'm at it: the homepage isn't very helpful either. Take the OPs question, what is the difference between.. well the difference could be, for example, one fork has RC2 damping, the other one has HSCV and the third one VF2. Look it up on the MZ website, the explanation for those acronyms is like "RC2: this means the fork has RC2.". Great.

Some of those damping systems are actually pretty sophisticated - I've always wondered why they don't even bother to at least explain why you should want them in your fork.
    Last edited by lelebebbel; 03-09-2007 at 07:53 PM.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WildJackal
    What is the difference between these two forks? The light is a tad lighter.

Did the light version replace a spring with an air cartridge?

Thanks

I have a 2005 Z1 FR 1 & my buddy has the 06' Z1 Light. I have been totally happy with my 05' HSCV dampened fork. It doesn't have the external adjustability of the RC2 but get the oil weight and height set and the fork works great. Despite some great reviews my buddies Z1 Light gets I think the fork sucks - Why ? The fork is a hybrid coil / air , air provides very little mid stroke support so if you are a heavier or agressive rider the fork will ride deep into its travel. Some may like this attribute but I prefer a linear rate dual coil Marzocchi fork.

RC2 is basically an adjustable HSCV.

banned
    And that F-ING manual.

WTF? Its a misprint. It should be "ATA" not "ETA", but I'm not up to speed so how should I know? Granted I quickly got over the point by messing w/ the fork all I could and reading all I could find..

But I NEVER had these issues w/ Fox. FOX manuals even helped disassemble and rebuild. Zoke tries their best to keep everything a mystery and when they do help its lost in translation.

I picture some Italian dude w/ high school level english translating this stuff...

Rant over. Zoke makes great stuff, they just don't help out.
    i'm picturing a guy with the long pointy moustache making a pizza, putting it in the oven, then assembling the fork and writing the manual, then taking the pizza out.

El Borracho
    I ride a 06 Z1 light aggresively and it flat out rocks. Not at first however. I needed to play with the oil level, air pressures, and the rebound with different oil weights. When setup proper it turns high frequeny chop and rock gardens to butter, while still handling 4-6ft to tranny without bottoming. I am 180lbs geared up. If I was over 200lbs I would be on a 66.
    Just because everyone says your wrong, it doesn't make you right. But it is a pretty good indication.
    - El Borracho -

banned
    I blended a lighter viscosity oil for mine and it works very well. Closer to 5wt.

Who are the brain police?
    That's good
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    what do you think the Italians who buy fox forks think of the fox manuals english to italian translation?

and FWIW I called up Zoke USA and spoke to a tech who was extremely helpful when I had questions on setting up my 06 Z1 FR SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    ok, so the number is not THAT hard to find but it is long distance. They don't even have an 800 number.
    800-227-5579