mtbr member
    Dec 2005

2006 Marzocchi MX Comp, top-out noises

Howdy knowledgeable folks, I was hoping you could help me out with some troubles I'm having with my 2006 Marzocchi MX Comp. It's a simple oil-bath air fork, 26er (not that that matters). I've always run it at pretty high pressures (~60psi) because I prefer the front end to not move unless it's a big hit. I rebuilt the fork over the winter and since then I've been having the some issues...
    Even on small bumps, the fork makes a lot of noise on rebound. The trails I ride are rooty and rocky (Vermont) so this constant banging sound is really annoying. As far as compression, everything seems fine... it's stiff like I like it, and I never bottom it out. I never had this problem before rebuilding it, so I'm wondering if the oil level is wrong or something. I didn't mess with the rebound adjustment when I had it apart, so that's not it. It does rebound very fast, which is how I prefer it, just without the noise! Is it as simple as getting the oil level right?
    Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    sounds like your low on rebound oil and/or you used a lighter grade. Since you run your fork at such high pressure, you might try something a little heavier than the stock Golden Spectro Very Light to something like Maxima 10wt at the proper levels. You could always try upping the compression damping adjustment as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I used Finish Line 7.5 wt shock oil, which is what I've had laying around for years... and sorta guessed on the levels. My manual didn't seem to have any info about the proper oil levels. I've since seen 135mL recommended, so when I get around to it, I'll try draining the 7.5 wt and giving it 10wt at the proper level.
    I've worked as a mechanic in the past, but I never bothered with suspension much (besides taking apart Judy's and Manitou's), so it's all pretty new to me.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    I used Finish Line 7.5 wt shock oil, which is what I've had laying around for years... and sorta guessed on the levels. My manual didn't seem to have any info about the proper oil levels. I've since seen 135mL recommended, so when I get around to it, I'll try draining the 7.5 wt and giving it 10wt at the proper level.
    I've worked as a mechanic in the past, but I never bothered with suspension much (besides taking apart Judy's and Manitou's), so it's all pretty new to me.
    Thanks for the help.
    Oil levels in the MX should be 135ml/cc in both legs. You should also add oil with the legs fully extended and once you have all the oil in cycle the fork slowly several times to purge the air from the damper.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"