mtbr member

New question here. 2004 Marzocchi Super T Pro oil level?

I just got a 2004 Stinky Primo with the Super T Pro. The springs have been upgraded to extra heavy. I weigh 250lb. I have read that if you use 10w oil and add a little extra you can stiffen it up a bit. My question is how much oil is safe to use without damaging the fork and do you just unscrew the tops, pull everything out, pour out the old oil and dump in the new oil? Same amount in each leg? Any info would be great thanks.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by WildStrain
    I just got a 2004 Stinky Primo with the Super T Pro. The springs have been upgraded to extra heavy. I weigh 250lb. I have read that if you use 10w oil and add a little extra you can stiffen it up a bit. My question is how much oil is safe to use without damaging the fork and do you just unscrew the tops, pull everything out, pour out the old oil and dump in the new oil? Same amount in each leg? Any info would be great thanks.
    When you replace the springs with extra heavy it is possible that you won't have enough rebound damping with stock oil weight and it will rebound too fast no matter how much damping you use. Switching to a heavier oil will shift the range in the slower direction so it will help. Be aware that using heavier oil will also add compression damping and will make the fork slower there as well. This might negatively affect small bump compliance, but it will help with brake dive and bigger hits.

As of the oil levels, Marzocchi has a table posted: http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...usa-mtb&Y=2004
    Generally speaking, you want the oil levels to be 90-100 millimeters from the top of the stanchions.

Also, adding more oil doesn't make things stiffer, it helps with bottomout resistance on big hits.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho