mtbr member

2004 Dirt Jumper II

Take this from someone that doesn't know anything about the internals to this fork...

I bought a 2004 Dirt Jumper II fork a little while ago. After putting it on my bike, I realized that the guy must have put the hard spring in since it was hard as ****, even after letting out all the air in both chambers. I really don't want to spend another $100 rebuilding this fork with a softer spring, so....
    Has anyone removed the spring and relied on just the air chambers? Is it even possible?

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by kubo; 09-21-2010 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    DJ forks come with stiff springs, since they're made for jumping after all. Unless you weigh like 50lbs, I don't think you can just pull the spring. Not sure it would even work w/o the spring as the air is preload.
    Fwiw a new spring is about $30-40 and you can probably find someone who wants a stiffer spring to swap for their lighter one.

mtbr member
    I know they are usually stiff. But with 6 inches of travel I would expect to use more than 1-2 iches while jumping. I guess thats my main concern, it looks like like my bike jacked up in the front and I am worried about the change of geometry of the bike. I figured with a softer ride that would help that.

I found a step by step blog that shows how to lower the travel on a 2004 DJ 3 by using some internals of a 2007 model, that seems like something that would be accomplish what I'm trying to do... not sure if its possible though on a DJ 2.

mtbr member
    Update:
    I'm an idiot... I called the manuf. and they said to just go ahead and remove the caps to see if there are both springs are installed. As they were... They suggested to remove 1 side and see how that feels... if its too plush then add a little air to it.
    So I just took out 1 side and it did the trick...
    Good job Marzocchi! I was expecting something more complicated.

Now I need to start messing with the air settings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It is crazy how I came across this thread!

I was dusting off the old STP that I built up years ago, and I was thinking how stiff the fork felt; it is a Dirt Jumper 2 around the same age as yours, Kubo. If I might ask, how did you remove the spring from the fork? I do not have the manual anymore. What side did you take the spring out of?
    Thanks fo any help
    B