mtbr member
    Feb 2010

2003 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 FR SL ???

I have some questions about this front fork. It is on an 03 Trek Liquid that I just got 3 months ago. Love the bike, But looking at doing some maintenance on the front and haven't been able to find the answer through all my searches. I have down loaded the manual.

How much oil do I put in each leg?
    When changing the oil do the plugs on the bottom came out?
    What weight oil, I see alot of people upgrade to a 10 wt, what is the reason for that.
    Any tricks I need to know before changing the oil? I have been on youtube but nothing for an older shock, I would assume there are basically the same.

Thanks in advance,
    Shep

mtbr member
    -Not sure on the quantity spec. Should be in the manual or you can call Marz tech support.

-You can just take the top caps off to drain/fill

-I think 7.5 is stock. People change weight to "tune" the performance a bit. Lighter oil will decrease dampening, heavy oil will increase it. Your body weight, riding style, and personal preferences are likely contributors to what you'll want to do.

-Tricks: clean everything good before removing the top caps to keep debris from getting inside the leg/damper assembly. Release air pressure before you take anything apart or oil will spray everywhere. Also, the top caps are aluminum so don't be ham-fisted when removing/reinstalling.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not in the manual.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    50cc in the left leg; 150cc in the right leg; 7.5 weight oil

Look for your fork under the 2004 specs (Z1 FR SL)

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/co...K&IDFolder=777

1) choose 2004 from drop down menu
    2) make sure "oil levels" is selected in second dropdown
    3) click on the white arrow
    4) you will have to use scrollbar on right to go down to your fork listing
    Last edited by MarkHL; 05-21-2010 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your best bet is to call Marzocchi tech. The oil volume spec's Marz. has published have been a mess. The Z1 SL has always been a tuning nightmare - don't think the HSCV was the best canidate for Doppio air.