mikeb

2002 fox vanilla 125R rebound settings

i know that this is not the best fork for XC use, but it's what i got cheap from a friend who has an account with the distributor.

i'm 185lbs and don't do big jumps or drops, just mostly rolly terrain and some long fire road climbs and descents. the forkis on a santa cruz superlight with a simple fox air shock out back so once again, i know that a coil fork and an air shock may not be the optimal set up.

that's OK right now, i'll purchase a new bike when i win the lottery.

how many clicks from the right (if you're sitting on the bike) ought i to be keeping the red rebound knob?

thanks.

oh, and by the way--don't refer me to the suspension forum, i'd rather get my answer here.

thanks.

mtbr member
    I have that same fork on my SuperLight but…I shortened the travel on the fork to 90mm. 125mm has the front end too high and causes several problems. The front end doesn’t have as much traction, it won’t climb as well and it hurt the handling too much for me.

As far as the rebound setting it really depends on your weight and the terrain you ride.
    Try this; turn the rebound all the way one direction to see what the difference is, then turn it all the way the other direction. This will tell you what too little and too much rebound feels like and hopefully allow you to determine the middle point.

just along for the ride
    I have a '03 125R and at 200# I use 4-5 clicks for normal XC riding, any more and it does begin to pack up in the high speed studder bumps. A tip for climbing rocky loose technical is to totally crank up the rebound damper so when you hit rocks climbing the fork is so slow it will not buck you backwards and loose your momentum. The fox is a excellent fork, easy to service and will last many years at a reasonable weight, have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0