Ambivalent Luddite

2001 SID XC travel change question

Just picked up a SID and need to know if I change the travel from 80mm to 63mm will this decrease the axle to crown distance by 17mm? (that would be good).

If yes, do I need the "All Travel Spacer" or is it already installed & just needs to be inverted or changed somehow?

Thanks for any help with this, I'm moving from rigid and I'm not familiar with these forks. I ran a Judy for a few years back but those were pretty basic.

Thanks

Ambivalent Luddite
    anyone.....Bueller?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You can probably install a spacer on the air piston rod below the seal head. This is where they go on the newer SIDs. The older SIDs (like the 2001 SID Race I've got pictured here) are similar in design, so a spacer under the air piston seal head will lower travel.

Going from 80mm to 63mm is not much of a difference especially if you run the fork with 20-25% sag. I'd try the fork at 80mm and adjust your air pressures to get 30% sag. Test ride and see if you're using too little or too much travel. If you're blowing through the travel and harshly bottoming out with 30% sag in 80mm mode then you're probably going to have to put a spacer in and run higher pressures in 60 something mm mode. If you're not harshly bottoming the fork with 30% sag then you'll pretty much be riding the bike with an A-C similar to what you would have with an old school 63mm fork (which were ran with very little sag).

Ambivalent Luddite
    Thanks TigWorld

I'll try that and start looking for a spacer.

Ambivalent Luddite
    Thanks TigWorld.

I'll try that & start looking for a spacer.

I came across your FAQ in a google search, lots of good info there.