mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2001 Marzocchi Z1 MCR Vs. 2006 Fox Vanilla 130R

When it rains, it pours... I just bought 2 different forks to replace the Rock Shox Judy J3 on my 06 Iron Horse Warrior SE (5" travel). I need some help in deciding which to put on, and which to sell to a friend.

Contender #1: 2006 Fox Vanilla 130 R
    Brand new bike takeoff, never ridden
    Rebound and preload adjustment
    All coil
    Bought for $250

Contender #2: 2001 Marzocchi Z1 MCR
    Used, 2 small scratches on stanchions but no leaking.
    Rebound, preload, and travel adjustment for climbing (LOVE this!)
    All coil
    Needs oil change I think, it sticks a little bit at the bottom of travel (as in, when it transitions from bump to rebound)
    Bought for $80

I have quite a dilemma. I have the Z1 now, the Vanilla should be here in a few days. The main thing that attracts me about the Z1 is the travel lockdown for climbing. If the Vanilla had that, I think I would be sold on the vanilla. The weight difference between the two is negligible.

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom, or better yet experience with both these forks? I will only end up installing one, so I think the most side by side testing I can do will be just compressing it by hand, not on a bike (hardly a test at all).

Thanks guys!
    -Max

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd say keep the Z1 and sell me the vanilla because i dont need lockout in florida...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hah... I'll keep that in mind, Tampa.

I just tore down the Z1 to change the oil, which ended up being a complete teardown because I saw that a retaining washer that holds one of the springs had shattered into tiny pieces (why they make this thing out of plastic, I cannot fathom). The old oil was absolutely terrible: thick and gray. On Monday I'll have to call Marzocchi and see if I can get a replacement washer thingy. Blah.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that this fork is completely serviceable, even for someone who's never touched a fork before. (me)

mtbr member

Ironic thread?

Quote Originally Posted by maxm50
    Hah... I'll keep that in mind, Tampa.

I just tore down the Z1 to change the oil, which ended up being a complete teardown because I saw that a retaining washer that holds one of the springs had shattered into tiny pieces (why they make this thing out of plastic, I cannot fathom). The old oil was absolutely terrible: thick and gray. On Monday I'll have to call Marzocchi and see if I can get a replacement washer thingy. Blah.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that this fork is completely serviceable, even for someone who's never touched a fork before. (me)
    I just bought a 02 Z1 Freeride brannew sitting on the shelf for 4 years for 350 bucks CAD. Yeah I know this is abit steep but dam what an awesome fork.
    It totally kills the manitou minute I had on the bike.
    Keep the Z1

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, I just got the Vanilla in, so I can now compare it to the Z1. The Vanilla is definitely lighter. But man, is the Z1 ever so plush after the rebuild! The Vanilla is brand new and not broken in, so I suppose it's not fair to compare plushness, but the Z1 right now is beating it hands down. Blah.

I think I'll take both down to my LBS and see what the bikers there have to say.

So, if anyone is interested in buying a Vanilla or Z1, message me and I might be persuaded to part with one
    -Max