mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2001 Bomber: pressure & mainteance?

Just picked up a 2001 Giant Ranier SE with a stock Marzocchi Bomber fork. Seems to have 80 mm travel. It's either silver or white (it's dark outside and I'm too tired to bring it in). The fork has no adjustments and says only Bomber and 2001. Couldn't find anything on the fork on the Marzocchi website.

The bottom of each leg is hollow and there are schraeder valves on top of each leg (covered, of course).

Please help me out.

The rider is 160 pounds. What's the recommended air pressure? Both legs are to have equal pressure?

Also, what kind of mainenance is required?

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

I've got the same bike....

Go to Marzocchi, tech section I think....and you can download the pdf manual. Basically you're only adjustments are oil wt., level & air pressure. Not a bad little fork. I suggest 25-30 pounds of air, unless you're pretty fast or hammering it, then again, I'm riding rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    BTW, that fork is a Z5 air, 80mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock-Bound-Hound
    Go to Marzocchi, tech section I think....and you can download the pdf manual. Basically you're only adjustments are oil wt., level & air pressure. Not a bad little fork. I suggest 25-30 pounds of air, unless you're pretty fast or hammering it, then again, I'm riding rocks.
    Thanks. I'll do 25 psi in each leg. But what kind of oil and how do I put it in.

Marzocchi's site has nothing on the Bomber series.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The porcedure is pretty simple.....

for the old Z5. Let all the air out of the fork, then put the fork over a drip pan, remove the foot nuts and slide the lowers down the stanchions a bit. The oil will pour out of the foot nut holes in the lowers. Let it drain for a bit then remove the lowers and set them aside to drain a bit more. Next remove the top caps and clean out the inside of the stanchions. At this point you can remove the pumping rods if you like, there are c clips that hold the rods in, and it's recommended if you want or need to do a really complete job of cleaning. Clean out the lowers completely next, you may even want to slosh some degreaser around in side them. Use a small flashlight or other light source and make sure that you have any little metal bits, etc. cleaned out.
    Now just reassemble in reverse order but leave the top caps off! From the factory Zocch forks come with 7.5w Golden Spectro 125/150 fork oil. You can use any quality for oil in the fork, but I've found that the Spectro works about the best. Now with the top caps off fully compress the fork and slowly pour 85 to 90ccs of oil directly into the stanchions though the top. If you weigh 120 to 175lbs use 85cc, if you weigh over 175 or just want the fork to be more progressive use 90cc. A word of caution, you may have to stop pouring and cycle the fork a few times to prevent the oil from over flowing so pour SLOWLY. After you have the oil in, button up the top caps and add air. You're done. Another note, to tune the feel of the fork to some extent you can fudge the oil volumes a bit, plus or minus 5%. The key to using less oil is that when the fork is fully compressed to tops of the pumping rods MUST be FULLY submerged in oil. To check this simply look down the stanchion with the top caps off and the fork fully compressed. Shine a light down the tube and look. If the top of the pumping rod is above the surface of the oil it's a no-go. If they are still under the surface your good to go. Plus or minus 5% on the volume is a rule of thumb though and usually pretty close.

Anyway that is pretty much it and is what is considered "regular maintenance" for your fork.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"