mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2001/02 Sid World Cup

Hey all,

Im looking at buying a new MTB and I've been looking at a 2001 Klein Attitude Race with 8spd full XT drivetrain, mavic 517, etc. All for only 600 US...the only thing that's holding me up is the fork...a Sid World Cup Carbon (it's either a 01 or 02). It and everything else on the bike seems in good enough shape, but I don't race and Im just worried that the fork is gonna be more trouble than it's worth in terms of extra maintenance etc. I only ride xc and don't do any crazy jumps or drops or anything, so it's not like Im gonna be abusing it but still... Anyone have experience with this sid or other sid/race forks for everyday use? Thanks alot

Cheers.

Mark

Chrome Toaster
    There is no 01 or 02 SID WC. in 2001 they had the SID Race which was *only* available in 63mm, no lockout or compression adjustment or the SID SL which was 63mm or 80mm with the lockout/compression adjust. In 2002 the Race was eliminated and the Race Carbon came along. It was the same fork as the 2001 SL but with a carbon crown and wider bushings. The SL remained unchanged with the exception of the improved bushings in the 02's.

mtbr member
    the race always existed. the sid world cup came in 2003, before that it was called sid carbon, the top sid fork. since 2001 the 3 sids were:

1-sid carbon (with lockout) since 2003 called sid world cup (with remote lockout and slippery silver coated stanchions).
    2-sid sl (with lockout) since 2003 called sid team (with remote lockout or not)
    3- sid race (wihtout lockout) unchanged since 2001.

the sid carbon is a great xc fork, if you are not a heavy rider it will be fine. but if you dont trust it, you can sell it and get a beefier fork like fox or marzocchi marathon. im riding sids since 2001, one sid sl, one sid carbon and one sid world cup. i never had any problems with them. all you need is to do the regular maintence, and thats it.

the price of that bike is excellent. buy it!
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    the race always existed. the sid world cup came in 2003, before that it was called sid carbon, the top sid fork. since 2001 the 3 sids were:

1-sid carbon (with lockout) since 2003 called sid world cup (with remote lockout and slippery silver coated stanchions).
    2-sid sl (with lockout) since 2003 called sid team (with remote lockout or not)
    3- sid race (wihtout lockout) unchanged since 2001.

the sid carbon is a great xc fork, if you are not a heavy rider it will be fine. but if you dont trust it, you can sell it and get a beefier fork like fox or marzocchi marathon. im riding sids since 2001, one sid sl, one sid carbon and one sid world cup. i never had any problems with them. all you need is to do the regular maintence, and thats it.

the price of that bike is excellent. buy it!
    The SID Race carbon 02 is not the same fork as the World Cup. Well, it is and in fills the same spot but its not. The 03 world cup has redesigned castings and some internals plus the remote lockout and slippery silver coating on the stanctions. The 02 Race Carbon was exactly the same old fork as the SL with a carbon crown. There was also a more rare version called the SID Race Ti. It was identical in every aspect to the SL except it had a Ti nitride coating on the stanctions giving them a bright gold look. The coating was apparently very expensive and difficult to produce and this model didn't come in carbon crown because the coating wouldn't bond right with the crown. It was later dropped in favor of the slippery silver coating. Same goes for the SL. While the 03 Team takes its place it has all the new refinements of the new generation of SID's.

The SID Race without lockout available now is actually a completely different fork than what the 01 Race was. The 01 was a stripped down SL to save weight. It had shorter stanctions fixed at 63mm and the Pure damper with the compression adjuster removed. This model was reintroduced in 03 as the SID Race again but it had a lot of changes. For starters it uses the new chassis and improved bushings. It no longer uses the Pure damping system but a cheaper version called the PureDelight that uses air on both legs. The air spring was changed and it now uses dual air as some cheaper RS models use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The SID Race carbon 02 is not the same fork as the World Cup. Well, it is and in fills the same spot but its not. The 03 world cup has redesigned castings and some internals plus the remote lockout and slippery silver coating on the stanctions. The 02 Race Carbon was exactly the same old fork as the SL with a carbon crown. There was also a more rare version called the SID Race Ti. It was identical in every aspect to the SL except it had a Ti nitride coating on the stanctions giving them a bright gold look. The coating was apparently very expensive and difficult to produce and this model didn't come in carbon crown because the coating wouldn't bond right with the crown. It was later dropped in favor of the slippery silver coating. Same goes for the SL. While the 03 Team takes its place it has all the new refinements of the new generation of SID's.

The SID Race without lockout available now is actually a completely different fork than what the 01 Race was. The 01 was a stripped down SL to save weight. It had shorter stanctions fixed at 63mm and the Pure damper with the compression adjuster removed. This model was reintroduced in 03 as the SID Race again but it had a lot of changes. For starters it uses the new chassis and improved bushings. It no longer uses the Pure damping system but a cheaper version called the PureDelight that uses air on both legs. The air spring was changed and it now uses dual air as some cheaper RS models use.

They stopped using the Ti Nitride because it chipped- I've only seen one last more than a couple weeks. I had one of the Sids with the TiNi coating, but had to have it waranteed when the coating was flaking off- it was sent back rebuilt with the carbon crown as a consolation. I beat the hell out of that fork for 2 seasons without doing anything to it, and I'm a big guy doing 20-40 days of racing a year minimum. On the other hand, I've seen lighter guys thrash Sids and need them rebuilt 2-3 times a summer. I'd say buy it, if it craps out warantee it, ebay what they send you and buy a Fox RLT, which is what everyone should be running anyway

Chrome Toaster
    Yeah they realized the Ti coating flaked away but not until a while after. A lot of the boxxers with this coating also suffered the same problem. RS did state that originally the reason for not selling the carbon for with the Ti coating was because the quality of the bonding was questionable.