mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2000 Marzocchi Bomber z5 Tools...

Hi, I'm servicing my Marzocchi Bomber z5, but I need some tools described in the service manual to take it apart. The tools I need are the slider protector, oil seal press, and the stanchion cap puller. I was wondering where I can find these tools without spending a ton of money. Thanks

pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, I've located 2 of the tools I need, but I can't find a stanchion cap puller anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one?

ay Diablo!
    I have an 01 Z5 that I've rebuilt, and I did not use an special tools to rebuild it. I can't remember if I just innovated, or it was just easy enough.

I don't know, but if you are handy and quick with ideas, you shouldn't need any special tools.

A piece of pvc pipe makes a great seal press, etc.. many more easy substitutes.

Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi farmboybunk.

I think Marzocchi did away with the stanchion cap pull tool requirement in 2001. On my 2000 model, the cap comes off by screwing the tool onto the schrader valve and pulling with some considerable force to overcome the resistance of the o-ring. I don't want to use the wrong tool and strip the schrader valve if at all possible. If I can find something else that screws onto the schrader valve that is strong enough and I can get a handle on, maybe I will be able to pull it off. thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    heh, I went to go get toothpaste and since home depot is next to walmart I decided to see if they had any tools that would fit onto a schrader valve nd I found this Husky blowgun kit for about $9. 1 screws onto the valve and 2 screws onto 3 of the blowgun, which should finally allow me to extract the cap from my fork. Now it's time to open her up and checkout what's inside.

ay Diablo!
    Nice work! lets hear how the rebuild goes.
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    nice find!
    The seal press & slider protector aren't necessary.
    For a seal press, I use a piece of 1 1/8" pvc pipe (the same works well as a crown race installer). Also, put seals in freezer for a while b4 installing, it'll go easier.

if you're careful prying out the seal, the protector is overkill. I use an old flat head screwdriver, wrapped with duct tape/electrical tape on the handle where it'll be pivoting on the lower. I ground the tip of the screwdriver more blunt, so it'd be harder to scratch the lower/slider.

check out enduroforkseals.com for some good tips & pictorial instructions (and great seals).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by farmboybunk
    Nice work! lets hear how the rebuild goes.
    Bunk
    Well, the oil was really low and kinda of mirky and the o-ring and seals were also dirty, but everything was in great shape. I cleaned it up thoroughly with some Simple Green and gave it a good rinse, let it air dry, lubed the seals and greased the o-rings, filled her up with oil per the service manual's instructions and reassemble. I couldn't be happier really, since it was pretty easy to do and helped build up my confidence a bit. As of yesterday, the fork was the only part of my bike I didn't know how to deal with, but now everything is great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    nice find!
    The seal press & slider protector aren't necessary.
    For a seal press, I use a piece of 1 1/8" pvc pipe (the same works well as a crown race installer). Also, put seals in freezer for a while b4 installing, it'll go easier.

if you're careful prying out the seal, the protector is overkill. I use an old flat head screwdriver, wrapped with duct tape/electrical tape on the handle where it'll be pivoting on the lower. I ground the tip of the screwdriver more blunt, so it'd be harder to scratch the lower/slider.

check out enduroforkseals.com for some good tips & pictorial instructions (and great seals).
    I ended up using a piece of folded cardboard as the protector and a spool of white sewing thread ( it was all I had that fit) as a seal press and it got the job done. Thanks for the pointers. I'll definately take them into account the next time I take my fork apart and I'm actually going to bookmark this page for future reference.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!