mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2 Failed 2012 RP23, should I pay to get a CTD?

I got a 2012 TallboyC that came with an RP23 Kashima. After 50 or so miles, it started making a squishy sound and blowing oil out the seal. So I sent it back to Fox, who kept it for 10 weeks (prime time april/may/june) to rebuild it. A couple of hundred miles, it did it again. I just sent it back, and they said if I want to pay, they will replace it with a new CTD.

The shock wasn't abused, I only use 145psi in it. And most of my riding is on my Wilier Cento1 road bike, mountain is just for occasional weekend rides. But I am using the TB to commute while the roads have some snow and lots of salt and sand. Can't commute right now, and not telling how long Fox will take to fix it.

Soooo.... how does CTD compare to last year's shock? Is there a noticeable difference in damping or function on the 3 settings that would make it worth paying more? The cost to upgrade is between me and Fox, so I'm not going to post it. What would it be worth to you, if anything?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Get it Pushed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like the original shock was a dud. I'd get another shock and down the road have it custom tuned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    pushed mine and it has been great since- sent it in after the oil seal failed on the shock when new. It only took a week to send it out and get it back. expensive but worth it

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I know the Push option is a good one, but I would I be better off starting fresh with a CTD? Are they that cool? The only time I changed the selector lever on my current shock was to ride 58 miles a day on the commute. Never climbing.

Thanks for the thoughts...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a 2012 RP23 Adaptive as well and had to have it rebuilt due to bublles in the fluid. New boost valve parts, seal, bleed, etc. This was after a year of almost daily riding.

Really hard to say if the CTD will be any more reliable. You may want to make your decision on whether you like the controls on the CTD or RP23 Adaptive better?

From what I undrstand, PUSH removes the Boost Valve and makes the RP23 simpler internally so it may be a bit more reliable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fox kept it for 10, TEN weeks! Balls to that, I would be thinking Monarch not CTD.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Wow, ten weeks? Did you by chance send it off to them before Xmas/new years holiday? I'd be extremely frustrated if I had to wait that long. I'd probably get impatient, buy a new one, then sell the one they sent back.

How much do they want you to pay for the ctd replacement? If its very little money, if might be worth giving it a try?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I doubt that changing the internal valving would affect the reliability of the oil SEAL ... but PUSH may be replacing the seal with something using different Magic Pixie Dust so it may be more reliable. Either way, the custom tuned RP may ride better.

But, if it's mostly for tame-trail / commuting and irregular usage then I doubt that it's worth the money either way. $ value speaks to me just having the shock working reliably is good enough.

FWIW, the RP23 that came on my '12 Yeti failed internally after about 1500 hard trail miles. I sent it in to Fox. They completed warranty service on it and returned it, it was off the bike less than 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sent it in April after a mtn bike race I wanted to do. That is apparently their rush season, that's why I sent it earlier this time!

The new CTD uses the new Delrin bushings(?) I was going to put bearings on the pivots of the first shock, are the new bushings working nicely? Is that another piece of the puzzle?

I just thought of this, my commutes lately have been very cold. A couple of weeks ago, before I sent it in, it was 8 degrees F when I left my house. It dropped to 5 in the country. It warmed up to 18 for the commute home. The day the shock really blew was 24 degrees, I was riding on a frozen hard packed trail. DO THESE SHOCKS HATE THE COLD?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The delrin bushings work on all their shocks, not just the CTD.

It's possible that temperatures aggravated an issue, but i've ridden many miles on fox shocks in cold weather over the years, and a bunch of people riding them into the winter here in northeast Pennsylvania so I don't feel like they have a fundamental issue with the cold ... but it's a good question to ask Fox themselves.

mtbr member
    I checked with PUSH a few months ago and they didn't have a product for the 2012 RP23. Didn't look like one on the website tonight either.
    Will trade for some chicken.

Vorsprung Suspension
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    DO THESE SHOCKS HATE THE COLD?
    Basically, yes. There is a substantial discussion on it in this thread: Shocks high altitude and cold weather

Keep in mind that sealing in mountain bike shocks (particularly the air shocks) is relatively minimalist, and toleranced in such a way as to reduce both friction and weight. Taking them out of their designed operating conditions (such as riding in extreme cold, or particularly salty environments, or subjecting them to extreme overheating on mega long descents) can be enough to overwhelm the relatively small safety factor used in the seals.

If these conditions are what's causing your seal issues - and that is quite likely - then a CTD shock isn't going to fix things as it uses the same sealing system. At this point it may be a good idea to consider other options entirely, such as purchasing a beater bike for commuting on, or a cheap coil shock to throw in for the winter.
    VorsprungSuspension.com - fully engineered suspension retuning & servicing in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    I would look for a monarch RT3, cheaper and better in my opinion

mtbr member
    I would also look for a Monarch, but go for the RC3 Plus. One of the best upgrades I have done to my bike.

mtbr member
    that's even better yeah, but on a "tallboy" it's a bit an overkill I think, btw I've a question Salespunk: can you block the RC3 plus well to go uphill ? as good as on a shock without piggyback chamber ?