mtbr member
    Mar 2006

1st Gen Blur Tune

I found a 1st generation Santa Cruz Blur for my mate. It came with a Progressive 5th Element Air, which seems to be a turd of a shock. I'm looking at replacing it with a cheapie Monarch or Manitou Radium, but am wondering what tune would be appropriate (are there different tunes for Radii?). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'd avoid the Monarch - they work wonderful when working but have WAY to many problems (mine is going back to PUSH for the 4th time tomorrow). If I were you I'd go with an XFusion O2 and they can custom tune it for the Blur at a cost still less than most any other shock out there. It will work wonders for that bike! FWIW I was running a Fox AVA that was PUSHED on my old 1st gen Blur and it worked like a champ.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm shooting for a $150 pricepoint, which puts the 02 out. Plus the damper is not end user serviceable as it is with RS and Manitou products. I'm pretty familiar with the dampers on Monarchs, and Manitou seem pretty simply as well, which is a huge plus. I think as long as I can get my hands on a Monarch that doesn't have the air can ano issue, I can handle any problems that arise.

mtbr member
    I built a 2004 Blur classic last summer from a bare frame. The original Float R AVA was physically fine, but shocks have improved vastly since then. I put a 2013 Float CTD Trail Adjust kashima on it and the difference is mind blowing.

You will have a hard time finding a used shock the right size with the right tune. For Fox it would be medium velocity and medium rebound. I am not sure if that's analogous to medium tune for Rockshox.

You might get lucky on ebay or something, but in general I think it's going to take more than $150 to solve this problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    @ColinL

Found something in my price range on Pinkbike.

Were you able to reuse the old shock eyelette reducers on the newer shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Found something in my price range on Pinkbike. Were you able to reuse the old shock eyelette reducers on the newer shock?
    Cool! About the bushings, if you have ridden the bike and you don't hear clunking you are probably fine to re-use, assuming the eyelets are the same size on both shocks. In my case, since I bought a brand new shock it did come with new bushings, but I replaced the DU bushing in the original shock because it was clunking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got new bushings lying around, but was wondering about the reducers. I guess it may be moot since I have a 5th element and not a fox AVA.

mtbr member
    Where can you get a Monarch for $150? I did notice, on Universal Cycles site, that X Fusion has now raised prices to be in line with their competitors. Bummer, I knew that was going to happen sooner or later!

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Where can you get a Monarch for $150? I did notice, on Universal Cycles site, that X Fusion has now raised prices to be in line with their competitors. Bummer, I knew that was going to happen sooner or later!

Have FUN!

G
    You can get the plain old Monarch R for $150. Don't know of anyone that sells the rt3 for less than $200 though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Heard back from Santa Cruz, this bike has an average leverage ratio of 2.3:1, which means a Low comp tune for Rockshox stuff.

mtbr member
    Sure, that's the average ratio, but the VPP linkage is digressive then progressive. It makes the bike use a lot of shock stroke in the early wheel travel, which means you need platform, and then has good bottom-out resistance at the end of the travel.

I don't know about your 5 element, but my old Float R AVA didn't have platform so it bobbed a lot. Problem solved with the new shock...