mtbr member
    Oct 2013

1999 Trek 6000 What forks can i buy as replacements?

Hey guys first off let me say I'm new to mountain biking, and only go riding out maybe once a month.

A family member recently let me have a 1999 Trek 6000 but the front shocks are shot. What forks can i buy to replace the Rockshox Jett t2's it currently has?

Not really looking to spend over $250 but let me know what u guys think.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ended up going rigid on my 1998 Trek 7000 and, while I considered going back to a suspension fork, decided against it. I used a Surly 1x1 - front end is a lot stiffer, bike rides better.

Your other options are to scour ebay for a vintage fork, or look at the lower end 80mm RockShox forks (XC28 comes to mind.) Other than that, you're getting into forks with an A2C too tall to be comfortable. Far more bang for your buck riding a rigid fork and progressing slowly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

1999 should be an 1" 1/8" headset, and probally ahead set also.

There are forks from suppliers thru your local bike shop. They are basic but it sounds like you arnt looking for high end. Figure about 25.00 for install.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

1999 Trek 6000 What forks can i buy as replacements?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383081211.097347.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    i thought i had to use 80mm or it would throw off the geometry. at least that was my understanding from the few articles ive read on here about suspension.

Fat-tired Roadie
    RockShox Recon Gold. You might have to shop around a bit, but I think you could stuff it in your budget.

IME, +/- 20 mm is perceptible but not a big deal. Forks are more efficient with their use of space, lately, so it probably won't change your axle-crown height that much.

For compatibility, you need to match headset and brake standards.

Last time I killed a fork, I decided I wouldn't go lower-end than the Recon Gold. Then a friend sold me his '01 Marzocchi, which I still have.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    RockShox Recon Gold. You might have to shop around a bit, but I think you could stuff it in your budget.

IME, +/- 20 mm is perceptible but not a big deal. Forks are more efficient with their use of space, lately, so it probably won't change your axle-crown height that much.

For compatibility, you need to match headset and brake standards.

Last time I killed a fork, I decided I wouldn't go lower-end than the Recon Gold. Then a friend sold me his '01 Marzocchi, which I still have.
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset SE-1
    Brake v-Brake.
    front tire 26.
    100MM travel

thats the info i need to find a compatible shock correct?
    does the fact thats is an "Aheadset SE-1" mean much or as long as its 1 1/8 threadless im fine?

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    You also need to make sure you get the correct axle size. In your case, it will be a 9mm QR axle.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

Fat-tired Roadie
    It only matters that it's 1-1/8" threadless.

The V brakes could be a problem. One option is to switch to a mechanical disc in front. You'd need a new wheel too.

Are you trying to get into mountain biking, or just riding the street?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Andrwswitch i thought thats what it was a 1 1/8 threadless.

and to answer ur question im getting into the sport but very little like i said i prob ride once or twice a month for a few hours. i do also ride it on the street though.

so would this fit my bike?
    RockShox XC 28 MTB Bike Fork 26" 100 mm 1 1 8 Disc V Brake QR 9 mm Black New | eBay

this is the only thing I've been able to find that i think fits what ive heard from u guys and is still under budget. just not sure if its a crappy shock(must be better than the RST stuff ive been seeing and reading about)

thats the ceiling cuz if i spend any more than that i might as well just buy another bike that isnt as outdated

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    $250 delivered, 80mm travel, v-brake + disc brake, qr 9mm axle, 1 1/8" steering, 32mm stanchions, good dampers:

Manitou Match Comp Forks 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Yes, the XC 28 would fit just fine, and is looking to be your best bet right now. There's a good amount of mid 00's Marzocchi forks floating around, which are very solid units, but they seem to nearly all be lacking v-brake bosses. I'd pass on the XC30 for sale on ebay, it is a better unit than the XC28, but not worth the extra 50 bucks in shipping the seller is charging.

*Edit*
    The manitou mentioned above is a FAR superior unit to the XC28, if you are willing to swing the extra money, that would be well worth it, and be something enjoyable into the future if you ever decide to ride a bit less casually.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

Fat-tired Roadie
    Since I'm not independently wealthy, I care where my money goes. I'd rather it went to a rigid than the XC28, if those were my options. Especially since I'd have a bit left over after buying a rigid fork.

The XC28 isn't cross-compatible with maintenance parts that address a good chunk of the rest of RS's line, and the rebound damper was poorly reviewed for durability. So, a disposable fork, but I still have less money. Lame.