mtbr member
    Mar 2011

1999 Specialized FSR Expert rear shock

Anyone knows what size rear shock is one my 1999 Specialized FSR Expert. I am measuring 6.25žn but 6.5inX1.5in seems to be a standard shock.

Thanks

TNC
    noMAD man
    I had that same exact bike, but I almost immediately went to a Mountain Speed link and Stratos Helix shock. Yeah, I think you're correct on the oddball size of the OEM shock, but as I recall these models took a 6.5 X 1.5 shock with no issue. I think Risse still makes a link for this bike too. On my '99 I installed a full needle bearing kit and the MS link/shock kit. I still have a 2000 Enduro Big Hit that has a full Risse swingarm. It looks just like our '99 model but has a slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    The expert was a bit of an oddball, it had a SID if I remember correctly. I'm sure the other FSR's from that age had a 1.5" shock.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The reason why I was asking is that I'm trying to get a couple more years out of that bike but the rear shock loses air. I cannot seem to find a rebuild kit for the Sid Dual Air so I might just have to buy a newer used replacement shock. If a 6.5x1.5 fits my bike than I might just end up looking for a used shock.

Thanks

Biking Like Crazy!
    To be on the safe side, unbolt one end of the shock
    and see if the frame and linkage can extend enough to fit the 6.5x1.5.
    It should beable to!

edit: this will raise your BB and steepen the HA a fair bit though!

TNC
    noMAD man
    puff, what fork are you running on the '99? I sold my '99 to a riding buddy, and that thing is still working well. A 120/130 fork is a good match when you raise the rear a little with a different shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puffwheat
    The reason why I was asking is that I'm trying to get a couple more years out of that bike but the rear shock loses air. I cannot seem to find a rebuild kit for the Sid Dual Air so I might just have to buy a newer used replacement shock. If a 6.5x1.5 fits my bike than I might just end up looking for a used shock.

Thanks

It does. I had that same basic bike and replaced the shock with a 6.5 X 1.5 unit without any problems.

ballbuster
    Yep... Specialized uses an oddball size. You can buy them, tho. New shocks aren't cheap, but maybe you can find a used one.

Maybe check fleabay. I'll bet Fox uses the same seal kit for that one as the new shocks. Take a look at the video online and you'll get an idea of what is involved with changing the seals. It's not hard at all.

Or... its possible your seals are leaking because they have crud in them. My old Rockshox Duke fork would get crudded up pretty easily. I just dropped the lowers and wiped the insides of the seals clean. After that, it was good for another year. Just clean it out and use some slick honey kinda grease on the internal seals, squirt some FoxFluid in there (the LBS stocks little 5ml premesured single use packs) and give it a go.

That said, if the shaft is scratched, scored or badly worn, it won't hold air even with new seals.

You can also check the schraeder valve. They have been known to wear out and leak air, or just get a bit of crud lodged in the seal.. It's a standard stem valve you can get like 5 for $3 at Kragen Auto Parts. They unscrew with a special cheap little tool that looks like a small round fork... sometimes on the end of a stem cap.

Worth a try. Those are easy cheap fixes.

*edit*

Wups... sorry.. should have read more carefully. This is a SID rear. Well... most of this applies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've got a used rear shock Float R 6.5x1.5 on order and getting the Fox Vanilla 125r rebuilt. Still meeting my budget haha!

mtbr member
    I've got a slightly used X-Fusion O2RC I'd sell you for $50 if you are interested. It's got the ability to lockout which the Float R doesn't. Let me know if you are interested.
    X-FUSION-SHOX
    USA Sales & Service Mgr.

Pain is only temporary but Glory is FOREVER!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaprider4Life View Post
    I've got a slightly used X-Fusion O2RC I'd sell you for $50 if you are interested. It's got the ability to lockout which the Float R doesn't. Let me know if you are interested.
    I understand that it's been two years, but I'm interested!