• 12-23-2012
    scavind
    120mm suspension fork to 80mm rigid.
    I'm converting my mountain bike into a commuter and it has a 120mm marzocchi suspension fork that's quite old way too heavy for commuting. I'm thinking of switching out to a surly 1x1 rigid fork, either the 80mm or 100mm length. Or possibly a lighter suspension fork so I need some suggestions. I would like my bikes top tube lower or level to the ground so I could be in a more aerodynamic position, but I'm not sure which fork to get or how each one would effect my bikes handling. Could anyone give me some insight on which would be the better choice and what to expect by switching to either fork. Thanks
  • 12-23-2012
    keen
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scavind View Post
    I'm converting my mountain bike into a commuter and it has a 120mm marzocchi suspension fork that's quite old way too heavy for commuting. I'm thinking of switching out to a surly 1x1 rigid fork, either the 80mm or 100mm length. Or possibly a lighter suspension fork so I need some suggestions. I would like my bikes top tube lower or level to the ground so I could be in a more aerodynamic position, but I'm not sure which fork to get or how each one would effect my bikes handling. Could anyone give me some insight on which would be the better choice and what to expect by switching to either fork. Thanks

A fork w/ a shorter a-c height will affect the handling. Why not use an inverted stem or drop bars to put you body in an aerodynamic position ?
  • 12-23-2012
    scavind
    I've never riden a bike with drop bars and I just want to find a way to lower the bikes angle first before I make a change like that. Being in nyc, I'm used to being and seeing above the traffic.
  • 12-23-2012
    keen
    What's your current bar / stem combo. An inverted stem & flat bars ?
  • 12-23-2012
    scavind
    Four bolt threadless a-head-set and risers.