Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

1 Reba makes a "pssssshhh" sound when compressed another doesn't

So my buddy just picked up a new bike, and it has the exact same fork as mine.

RockShox Reba RL 29

If I stand over my bike and compress the shock its basically silent.

We put his bike together and I stood over his and each time you compress the shock it makes a noticeable "ppssshhhhh" kinda sound.

Is this a bad thing? Or is it bad mine does NOT make this sound?
    Or better yet does it matter at all? Sound or no sound.

I'm more or less just curious, since we both have the same fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    sometimes when the rebound is set at is slowest or towards the slower end of the rebound range the fork will make a noise as you described. is your friends rebound set slower than yours? also, it is not unlikely that your fork will also make some similar noise as it breaks-in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raman503 View Post
    sometimes when the rebound is set at is slowest or towards the slower end of the rebound range the fork will make a noise as you described. is your friends rebound set slower than yours? also, it is not unlikely that your fork will also make some similar noise as it breaks-in.
    I was playing with my fork's pressure and rebound settings a couple weeks ago (same fork, 2013 Reba RL 29), and I upped the pressure and put the rebound to super slow and it made the same noise. Also, it rode awful... I'm back to fast rebound, and lower pressure, but I'm still trying to find the sweet spot... I'm close though.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by raman503 View Post
    Yea I'm not sure about his rebound settings, but his is never been used, where as mine has been, so I'd say mine is already broken in, his has not yet it makes the sound. I think you may be onto something with the rebound tho. His feels more squishy/slow could be the reason.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah, I just bought one of those new and also noticed the sound on slow rebound. What had me more concerned was a small build up of oil on the stanchions. Is that normal?