mtbr member
    Feb 2007

1" Rear Shock - Softail (Unicoi)

Hello all,

Did some searches - but cannot find if this has been discussed before?

Hopefully someone can help:

Looking at bringing a 2001 Litespeed UNicoi back to life.
    Problem is - I have no rear shock for it.

I believe it was originally a Rock Shox 1" Sid - but think a Cane Creed AD-5(?) might also have been on at some stage...

Anyone have any info about what can be used now? Any similar, modern-day shocks made by anyone? Any info will be appreciated!

Oh - I've emailed Litespeed already - but hoping this will be quicker!

Former Bike Wrench
    Cane Creek can still get you one, I would contact them

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    While I have had some pretty bad experiences with Risse Racing in regard to over all feel of their products, I would say they are a safe bet when the suspension is on a short travel soft tail. There isnt much suspension to feel as it is!

Risse Racing does all kinds custom stuff. Very few limitation in regard to eye2eye and stroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks!

I've emailed Risse about it now - will follow up with Cane Creek as well. Had a look on their website, and it doesn't appear as if they still make anything that would come close - but they possibly don't list it anymore.

Ideally, I'm hoping that someone who has gone through this process recently, will pick up on this - and share some thoughts!

Till later....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mtnbiker72's experince may have been different than mine, but when I contacted them about shock length which wasn't listed on their site, they said they couldn't help.

Risse, on the other hand, can do pretty much anything you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Cane Creek just got back to me with a reply. It appears they still have supplies of the shock in question! Am one very happy mtb'er right now! Hello new project - bringing an old frame back to life!

Thanks for all the help people!

Maromero
    Good to hear that, I had the AD-5 replacing the same SID for a Dean Duke softail 5 years ago, when they still had the compatibilty chart on their website and a friend just asked today about having a spare shock for his Unicoi (just in case), I thought the were not doing them anymore.
    Great info.
    Funny that we got to exchange usefull info the same day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello All,

I figured I would give a bit of feedback, and some more specific info about the above, merely for the sake of completeness.

The people over at Cane Creek have been very helpful, and A+ for their customer service.
    I have been dealing extensively with Gary Maltby, and after missing him one moring when I phoned, I had a chat with Peter Gilbert, who also was of great assistance.

I've probably sent Gary about 12 emails in total, and he's always been quick and helpful in his responses.

Given that I'm in South Africa, I needed to be very sure about getting the correct shock, since I obviously wanted to avoid getting it to me, only to find it didn't fit!

Litespeed confirmed that the Unicoi I'm looking to resurrect, was an 18" from 2001. After much searching, I confirmed off the web-archives pages, that Litespeed had used a Rochshox SID XC rear shock from 2001 to 2003 - in 2004 Cane Creek started supplying the rear shock units.

I then confirmed that the Cane Creek unit in question was the AD-5 Plug Mount shock, and that Cane Creek still produced it. Awesome!

What finally remained was to confirm whether the AD-5, would also fit a 2001 model, and thankfully - it appears it will!

The specific component part number is .AD5122P - the 122 being reference to the 122mm eye-to-eye measurement, and the "P" referring to the Plug Mount version - which is obviously different to the normal double-eye (on both ends) shock version. Cane Creek thankfully also still produces the AD-5 seal kit, and a google search supplied the manual.

A friend of mine currently in New York, will be ordering it, and then bring it back to South Africa with him in February, so I have a very long and painful wait!!

Regardless - I will pop something up here again when it's fitted - with some pics - but for now - to all the Unicoi owners out there - hopefully the above will prove useful!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello All,

The AD5 arrived today - had it installed this morning - fits like a glove!

Hope this helps anyone who might be thinking of resurrecting an old Unicoi frame
    She comes in a 1,81 kgs (3,9lbs)...

1" Rear Shock - Softail (Unicoi)-100_6646aa.jpg

1" Rear Shock - Softail (Unicoi)-100_6648aa.jpg

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see the finished build!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT