mtbr member
    Apr 2013

1 1/8" steerer + tapered fork

Bought a Giant Reign X0 2007 used and it was air shipped on accident and now the fork has some problems. Long story short I am replacing the fork and sending him back the old one and he is compensating me.
    This fork looks like a great deal. The Reign I have has a 1 1/8" head tube, but I have heard of some headsets that put the bearings outside of the head tube to allow for a tapered steerer tube, such as the Hope H. Wanted to be sure that this myth was true.
    '13 fox float 32 -26'

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Unfortunately if your Reign is a true 1 1/8 or even a 41mm IS headset you cannot run a tapered fork. The external cups are intended for 44mm zero stack headsets which are large enough to allow the 1.5" steerers to pass through them.

mtbr member
    If your Reign uses a 44mm headset, which I'm pretty sure it does, then you can get a new bottom cup to be able to use it with a tapered fork.

Cane Creek 40.EC44/40.Bottom Assembly

mtbr member
    You think air shipping caused fork problems?
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Im not sure if my headset would be compatible with it or not, that is why I posted in here! I was hoping someone would have a reign and have used it. Yes I think that shipping the fork caused damage. I dont think it was the shipping as much as it was the air pressure from ups air shipping it instead of ground shipping it as requested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    I dont think it was the shipping as much as it was the air pressure from ups air shipping it instead of ground shipping it as requested.
    The change in air pressure from air shipping is only a few psi. It can't damage anything.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A It would be more like 10 psi or something i dont know exactly what it is. But with the fork at just the right angle it doesnt take much to push fluids into chambers where it doesnt belong, which can then cause problems.

Maybe it wasnt air shipping but if it wasnt im not sure what it was that caused the problems

Also, when I let out the air pressure a blueish greenish clear fluid comes out. That normally doesnt happen to my knowledge..
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 1 Week Ago at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A It would be more like 10 psi or something i dont know exactly what it is. But with the fork at just the right angle it doesnt take much to push fluids into chambers where it doesnt belong, which can then cause problems.

Maybe it wasnt air shipping but if it wasnt im not sure what it was that caused the problems

Also, when I let out the air pressure a blueish greenish clear fluid comes out. That normally doesnt happen to my knowledge..
    Most fork air chambers have some amount of oil in them (to lube the seals), and it can come out the air valve depending on the angle of the fork.

Aside from the oil, does the fork have any other problems?
    Maybe since you don't know its history, it could use a drain/refill of the lowers, also let out all the air and pump it back up.

mtbr member

10psi lower pressure outside the fork is exactly the same effect as 10psi higher pressure inside the fork.
    I think your problem existed before it was shipped.

It is normal for air chambers to have some lube oil or grease inside to keep the seals sliding smoothly. If a fork has been laying down you can get some out the valve when releasing pressure.
    This isn't anything to worry about.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I do see what you mean. I took it to my lbs and he said a lot of the new forks come in all sticky like this one and that it could just be because it had been rebuilt then not ridden for a long time, so Im going to try riding around on it. Still not sure why when the fork arrived though it was completely locked out, kinda weird.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After riding around it is still sticking pretty bad. Is it hard to service? Getting the lowers removed and new oil put in etc is like 100$ at a shop, but I have a lot of time on my hands and the fluid is pretty cheap from what I understand. Is there anywhere I can really go wrong in servicing it? Im pretty mechanically inclined (im going to school to be an engineer). Ive seen the videos I just dont want to botch up my fork trying to do it myself if anything can go really wrong. Let me know Thanks

Its a Fox 36 Float RC2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some people with sticky forks have found their lowers to be low on oil, so a drain/refill may make a big differerence, and it's pretty easy. If you're careful you should be able to remove the lowers and inspect the seals/wipers, verify the foam rings are saturated (if they are dry that might tell you something), then put the lowers back on, put oil in the bolt holes (my Van36 took ~15cc per leg, but not sure if the Floats are different).

mtbr member
    After riding around it is still sticking pretty bad. Is it hard to service? Getting the lowers removed and new oil put in etc is like 100$ at a shop, but I have a lot of time on my hands and the fluid is pretty cheap from what I understand. Is there anywhere I can really go wrong in servicing it? Im pretty mechanically inclined (im going to school to be an engineer). Ive seen the videos I just dont want to botch up my fork trying to do it myself if anything can go really wrong. Let me know Thanks
    If you're pretty handy, its not hard at all. This is the best video I've come across.

mtbr member
    I dont think it was the shipping as much as it was the air pressure from ups air shipping it instead of ground shipping it as requested.
    re: Flight shipping
    Aircraft holds are pressurised to 0.76 KG/cm2 which is the same as standing outside at 8000ft above sea level and equates to a pressure drop of 3.8psi. Even if your fork was pumped up to max pressure that couldn't possibly damage it, any faults it had on landing it had on taking off.

re: The fork
    If your fork is leaking it needs a rebuild and some new seals, if it has no other damage that should be it. If it's sticking then like others have said it could just be dry in the lowers.

If it's original to the bike then it's seven years old now and a rebuild is probably a good idea anyway and much cheaper than a whole new fork.