mtbr member

09 Talas 36 RC2, blown cartridge? Strange Noise "Video"

I have a 2009 Talas rc2 that just started making some strange noise, It sounds kinda like a switch turning on and off when the fork compresses, but much quieter. So i tore it apart and it looks like a seal or something blew out on the Talas cartridge. Could i have blown the cartridge? Im not that hard on the fork i only weigh 130lbs.

Photobucket

Last edited by wantadhbike; 06-08-2011 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh and if i have to break down the cartridge is it possible to adjust the travel or bottom out on the 09's as im not able to use the last 1'' of travel?

mtbr member
    Anyone?

1:18
    I've had similar problem, in 160 position it was clacking and noise, in 130 and 100 not.

Turned out that the low leg shaft in Talas cartridge (this fella) wasn't lubricated enough. Apparently the suspension fluid got mixed up with Float fluid, causing excessive stiction.

After servicing, the problem disappeared and the fork action was greatly improved in terms of stiction/small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    I've had similar problem, in 160 position it was clacking and noise, in 130 and 100 not.

Turned out that the low leg shaft in Talas cartridge (this fella) wasn't lubricated enough. Apparently the suspension fluid got mixed up with Float fluid, causing excessive stiction.

After servicing, the problem disappeared and the fork action was greatly improved in terms of stiction/small bump compliance.
    Thats exactly whats happening 160 position it makes noise and 130 and 100 it does not, so if i follow these instructions It should fix the noise right. And are there any substitutes for pillow pack/float fluid i can get locally?
    Last edited by wantadhbike; 06-09-2011 at 07:11 AM.

80 wt synthetic gear oil instead of Float fluid.

Care is advised the first time you do the service as some parts are a bit tricky...

mtbr member
    Thanks Corvette I will probably service it with in the the next few days and then ill report back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wantadhbike View Post
    Oh and if i have to break down the cartridge is it possible to adjust the travel or bottom out on the 09's as im not able to use the last 1'' of travel?
    Absolutely you can!

When you disassemble the cartridge you will need to re-arrange the glide ring on the bottom out piston end. Moving it from the end of the shaft towards the bottom out compression system will decrease bottom out resistance You should have, I think,two settings so play around to see which one is the best for you.

This is what I'm taking about (note: pic is the old style system) :

http://service.foxracingshox.com/con..._explained.pdf

Re: above picture . It appears that some of your expansion bladder has pulled through the cap (This can happen even if the lock nut is good and tight). I would take this apart and inspect for tears. If you need a new one Fox sells new bladders for a reasonable price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cort View Post
    Absolutely you can!

When you disassemble the cartridge you will need to re-arrange the glide ring on the bottom out piston end. Moving it from the end of the shaft towards the bottom out compression system will decrease bottom out resistance You should have, I think,two settings so play around to see which one is the best for you.

This is what I'm taking about (note: pic is the old style system) :

http://service.foxracingshox.com/con..._explained.pdf

Re: above picture . It appears that some of your expansion bladder has pulled through the cap (This can happen even if the lock nut is good and tight). I would take this apart and inspect for tears. If you need a new one Fox sells new bladders for a reasonable price
    Thanks answering my questions and information, Im probably going to service it next week so ill report back on how it goes.

Do i need to let air out of anything when i break down the low leg shaft in Talas cartridge?

mtbr member
    Thanks answering my questions and information, Im probably going to service it next week so ill report back on how it goes.

Do i need to let air out of anything when i break down the low leg shaft in Talas cartridge?
    The left side (not to be confused with the RC2 cartridge) has 150PSI in the TALAS chamber. Make sure you depressurize both the main air spring and the TALAS chamber before doing the tear-down.

Corvette sent to an excellent link for the procedure. Follow those those steps exactly and you should be fine with the rebuild

mtbr member
    Two more questions, do i have to refill the talas chamber with nitrogen? I'm not sure if that's whats in there but I'm just wondering. Second, do i need a Fox Talas IFP tool?

mtbr member
    Two more questions, do i have to refill the talas chamber with nitrogen? I'm not sure if that's whats in there but I'm just wondering. Second, do i need a Fox Talas IFP tool?
    No you can fill it up with just air.

I use an IFP tool for the recharge. If you don't have one ask a shop to charge it up for you.
    Do a search here, others have mentioned that they have ran the fork without ( zero psi) any air in the TALAS chamber. If you go this route, do so at your own risk.

GL

mtbr member
    Well it works better than ever now, with no noise's too. There was quite a lot of suspension oil where it shouldn't of been, got that out of there cleaned and re lubed the talas air shaft chamber thing and it works great now. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Well it works better than ever now, with no noise's too. There was quite a lot of suspension oil where it shouldn't of been, got that out of there cleaned and re lubed the talas air shaft chamber thing and it works great now. Thanks guys!
    Good stuff!

So next time the 160 position starts to get sticky, you know what to do