mtbr member

09: Float 32 RLC or Vanilla RLC (Air or Coil)

I've always been partial to a coil fork. But I'm thinking about the Float. My only real experience with an air fork is an older Reba 29er, and well, I didn't really like it. But I know that the Float is quite a nice fork. Just looking for some feedback from all of you. What is your experience. Weight isn't so much an issue, just really good feeling suspension. There is less than half a pound difference in the two forks for 09. I guess we can call my riding style XC/All Mountain.
    Thanks
    Simple Living, High Thinking

www.derbyrims.com
    I don't think anyone who posts here in MTBR has ridden both '09 models, let alone either one yet to give a fully informed opinion. I have owned the '07 Float RL and '08 Vanilla RLC forks. With compression set wide open on the Vanilla RLC, with the same static sag the coil Vanilla RLC has much less brake dive or bob and more usable bottom travel on g-out type compressions. Less compression damping is needed for good handling using the Vanilla RLC. I donít see that anything much has changed internally for í09 Fox 32 forks.

mtbr member

Agreed...

I have to agree with derby here. Not many people have riden both 09's, but unless you upgrade to a more advanced air fork (like the TALAS) coil is totally the way to go.:thumbsup

Unfortunately my opinions are based on a 07' Vanilla RL and an 07' Float RL so it is a little farther from the 09
    "Well, now we know what NOT to do..." - Me and my Friends

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions. The question was more geared towards coil or air, not really the new 09 models. But you guys answered my question anyway.
    Now my question would be, why is a Talas air fork better than a Float RLC? Wouldn't the only difference be travel adjustment?
    Simple Living, High Thinking