Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

08 Marz 55 ATA2 - how bad?

I'm looking at buying a bike that has this fork standard (2008 Scott Ransom 20) but the reviews for this particular model of fork are horrid.

Are these forks really as bad and failure prone as the user reviews indicate? I have the opportunity to upgrade to a Lyrik 2 step for $300, so I'm wondering if I should do so to avoid the grief that others seem to have encountered with this fork.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 02-25-2009 at 06:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have these forks on my Hectik and I like them.I did have ata wind-down issues,not enough to lose any travel that I could tell,and a little bit of bushing play.Sent the fork in to have these things looked at,was told the bushing play is normal(it's even stated on the marz. website).New o-ring for the ata wind-down is supposed to take care of that.I haven't ridden it since I got it back,(too much snow)so I can't tell if it's fixed yet.No issues with the tst2 .No experience with the Lyriks,so I can't help you there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well I currently have the 2009 version (55 ata tst2) with me on my Ransom 40 (new upgrade) and it has already suffered bad TST2 cartridges which denies me the ability to lock out or go through rebound cycles . Right now the fork is awaiting a new revamped tst2 cartridge from marzocchi which is presumably a 2010 or late 2009 batch after telling me the one on my 09 is an "old" version .
    I'd say buyer beware . If you don't want your bike out of action for months on end , I'd look somewhere else

So what is reliable?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Seems like the Marz and even the older Lyrik models have more than their share of problems.

I think one wants/needs an adjustable travel fork to compliment the adjustable travel rear shock of the Ransom, so what's a reasonably priced and reliable fork for this bike?

Fox TALAS 36?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Id say for long travel 160 mm or more , get a coil fork . May weigh more but less to go wrong as opposed to all these problematic air forks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Seems like the Marz and even the older Lyrik models have more than their share of problems.

I think one wants/needs an adjustable travel fork to compliment the adjustable travel rear shock of the Ransom, so what's a reasonably priced and reliable fork for this bike?

Fox TALAS 36?
    You will find many that feel that the 36 TALAS has its own issues as well, mostly related to stiction/not feeling plush. I am not a fan of Fox's lack of a main seal... There is a reason that Push adds a seal with their builds (as well as enduro). I also suspect this is a cause of excessive stanchion wear (some people have 'had' to replace stanchions when sending fork in for service..never heard this of any other mfg).

Air in any fork will add complexity and more seals will mean more friction, travel adjust will add complexity..air travel adjust has been pretty iffy with most mfg, demand for unrealistic weights decreases durability....

FWIW, I have an '07 Lyric coil that has been perfect from day one. It seems to me that many of the issues with RS forks are simple seal issues...something that can easily be fixed at home with off the shelf parts...I also go through my forks before they are ever ridden to try to address any issues from mass production. Coil U-turn is about as complicated as a nut/bolt...

Quote Originally Posted by davep
    You will find many that feel that the 36 TALAS has its own issues as well, mostly related to stiction/not feeling plush. I am not a fan of Fox's lack of a main seal... There is a reason that Push adds a seal with their builds (as well as enduro). I also suspect this is a cause of excessive stanchion wear (some people have 'had' to replace stanchions when sending fork in for service..never heard this of any other mfg).

Air in any fork will add complexity and more seals will mean more friction, travel adjust will add complexity..air travel adjust has been pretty iffy with most mfg, demand for unrealistic weights decreases durability....

FWIW, I have an '07 Lyric coil that has been perfect from day one. It seems to me that many of the issues with RS forks are simple seal issues...something that can easily be fixed at home with off the shelf parts...I also go through my forks before they are ever ridden to try to address any issues from mass production. Coil U-turn is about as complicated as a nut/bolt...
    I appreciate your comments and agree that Fox forks aren't necessarily without their problems also. I've used a Fox TALAS 32 RLC on another bike and I was never completely satisfied with it, whereas I totally love the Reba I have on my XC bike.

I've decided to go with the Lyrik 2-step for the new bike, wish me luck!

Karl

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I appreciate your comments and agree that Fox forks aren't necessarily without their problems also. I've used a Fox TALAS 32 RLC on another bike and I was never completely satisfied with it, whereas I totally love the Reba I have on my XC bike.

Karl
    good luck Hope they don't end up like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHe7yOfouk

from the lyric thread above

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Let us know how the lyrics are.If my 55's crap out I was thinking 36 van/float because I don't really need travel adjust and I would like to try something non marz.

squish is good

Karl
    If it's not too late I will point out that the Magura Wotan is the only fork I've seen out there that i have never heard a problem regarding an air spring and travel adjust. In terms of reliability I'd rank the major manufacturers systems as follows:

Excellent - Magura Flight Control

Good - Fox Talas, Manitou IT

Atrocious - Marzocchi ATA, Rock Shox 2 - step

I really don't think you're gonna be a whole lot safer with a Lyric to be honest.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    well heres a little update on my fork thats been out of action for 2 months . My fork apparently came from a late 08 production batch and still retain their defective tst2 carts from the previous model the 55 ata2 . Heres a picture of the new revised cartridge for the 09 batch
    [IMG]Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others![/IMG]

[IMG]Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others![/IMG]

Not good marzocchi . You should have fixed this wayyy earlier. I hope Marzocchi tech are looking at this . If they release a product , it must have all the parts fixed from day one . not make a running change 1/4 the line down