mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New question here. 08 Manitou R7 Elite/Super Absolute? What's the difference?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the Manitou R7 Elite Absolute and the Super Absolute. They are comparatively priced and Manitou has no info on the matter. Also the 09 super looks the same as an 08-any difference there? Any help is appreciated, Chris.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am pretty sure they use different damping systems. I also think that the super does not have a lockout. I have the Elite and the Super I saw at the bike store does not have the Red knob on top for platform/lockout adjustment.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Well, Absolute means it has Absolute-damping (with the red knob), so you must have seen an older Super like the TPC in that store.
    I just received MY R7 Super Absolute And as you can see, it DOES have a nice red button with the awesome clicking sound! And while playing with it, I noticed it has 8 settings, from soft and open, to locked out.
    I have yet to install it on my bike (I have no tube cutter or starfanglednut yet)

The difference between Elite & Super Absolutes, is unknown to me too. However, I saw that Merida uses Super Absolutes on their bikes, so maybe the Super is for OEM only (and ebay ).
    Weight seems to be the same as well, about 1,5kg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For the Manitou Drake that came out this year....the difference would be that the Elite has only a coil spring, and the Super has an air-assist coil spring. The air assist uses a very soft coil spring in a sealed chamber with an air cap. You can add air to finely tune the suspension to the correct amount of sag and whatnot. The air assist (super) is great at letting you dial in the suspension without having to buy new coil springs or adjust other components.

For the R7 though, I would get a spec list from whoever you are purchasing the forks from. Usually the Elite and Super difference is just the damper; but if both of them say Absolute then that isn't it. It could be a steer tube change....Steel to Alum. find out what spring system they use...that could be the difference too.

Both models have the Absolute platform compression damper. Both have the same adjustable rebound damper. The Absolute has a platform adjust with several platform "blow-off" levels so you can have a whole lot of platform (basically lockout), a very plush system, or anything in between. From my personal experience, the system works really well giving me plenty of compression damping on the big hits. An easy switch over to full platform and I can climb hills like a blasting banshee. The only problem I've heard of is the slight "click" when the Absolute damper is active. For me, the little bit of clicking that I can hear when setting up my bike to ride becomes a moot point because I concentrate more on the trails and nature than I do on the clicking. Plus, the system works great for me so the trade-off on a little clicking doesn't impact my riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one
    Well, Absolute means it has Absolute-damping (with the red knob), so you must have seen an older Super like the TPC in that store.
    Well I am not exactly sure which model it was then. I know it was a 2008, it was primer gray, has the same stickers as my R7 Elite absolute, it was a Super, but it did not have a red knob. So I guess it was a Super, but not a Super Absolute. Maybe SPV?
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1