WTF

'07 Marz XC 600 sl or '08 RS Revelation 426 Air

Okay, so I have been looking for an adjustable travel XC fork for a while, and I have narrowed it down to two:

1. 2007 Marzocchi XC 600 SL $300
    Pros: Adj travel, cheaper, lighter, looks awesome, stiff enough for me (160lbs)
    Cons: Lack of good reviews/ bad reviews
    or
    2. 2008 RockShox Revelation 426 Air w/ U-turn $425
    Pros: Adj travel, more adjustability, comes in white, stiff for everyone,great reviews
    Cons: more expensive, heavier, not as good looking

Okay, the argument comes down to, if the Revelation worth the extra wieght and expense?

All advice welcome, especially some reveiws from some people who have the Marz, thanks in advance all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

Weekend Warrior
    I choose the RS, very happy with my choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    second vote for the RVL
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

ay Diablo!
    I'm a marzocchi guy. I've tried manitou and fox and the marz have always been super plush and reliable, but have not had a chance to ride the new rockshoxs.

But with that said, my next fork will be a rockshox revelation 426 coil. Everything I've have read has been good, fairly light, plush, adjustable, and reliable. Sounds like a winner to me.

It seems like marzs reliability has fallen, at least there forks with TST, and also some of there ATA forks also had issues. But the forks with marz's other dampers seem fine. Two people in my family have all mountain 1 with tst damping, and when they are working correctly they feel pretty good. But they have to have more maintance done on them to keep them performing. My 03 Z1 is still going strong though. Just wish it was lighter.

Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

banned
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    I have an XC 600 Retro (probably similar in a number of ways) and I've no complaints...I weigh about 150. Can't comment on the Revelation, I've never owned one. Either way, they are quality brands, just a matter of what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay.
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any decisions? I'm also looking at the sl and was wondering if you (or anyone) bought and tested or found any positive info...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

what size tires?

what size tires do you run? From what I hear, and someone correct me if Im wrong but the Marz has limits where the RS can run a bit wider tires. I have neither but plan on getting a Rev real soon to replace my Float.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have the xc 700 sl, last year's model. The good: Its a little tricky to setup, but is very adjustable, and is light. The Bad: It is VERY flexi, especially towards the top of the range of travel. I had my LBS send it back and Marzocchi called them, chewed them out saying there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back, after four weeks of waiting. I weigh 180, so I'm not super heavy, and ride mostly XC singletrack, yet I can feel the fork slop while riding. Not very confidence inspiring. I wouldn't buy one again. I know RockShock has better customer service.

banned
    Apr 2004

Bummer, you had me before flexy

Quote Originally Posted by mudhut
    I have the xc 700 sl, last year's model. The good: Its a little tricky to setup, but is very adjustable, and is light. The Bad: It is VERY flexi, especially towards the top of the range of travel. I had my LBS send it back and Marzocchi called them, chewed them out saying there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back, after four weeks of waiting. I weigh 180, so I'm not super heavy, and ride mostly XC singletrack, yet I can feel the fork slop while riding. Not very confidence inspiring. I wouldn't buy one again. I know RockShock has better customer service.
    I've got a nice old hammered chameleon frame and enough spare parts, less a good 100mm fork to make a really nice single speed.
    I've been spoiled by my last 2 forks, a Fox RLT 80 and a RS Reba, both are stiff, plush, light and durable with the Reba being the better of the two, it really locks out great, but it's a few years newer than the Fox and is 100mm vs 80mm.
    I'm sure the late model Fox forks are as good as the Rock Shox stuff but the Rock Shox was a couple of hundred less at the time.