mtbr member
    Oct 2004

'06 RS Pike 454 air leak problems!

I had my fork rebuilt last fall and for the first ride and a half it was pure heaven, but apparently when my fork was put back together, a snap ring was not seated properly and it gave on my second ride. I brought it back and the snap ring was fixed, but the fork never worked right after that and the guy could not find anything wrong.

Here are the problems:
    1. Makes hissing sound from left leg when compressed.
    2. Can't run +/- psi that worked really well after I got the fork back the first time (to harsh now).
    3. Neg. air chamber leaks (replaced it myself but still leaks).

I've thought about sending the fork to Push over the winter, but I'm worried about putting more money into this fork and still not having it work right.

Any help you guy's can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Greg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Inspect or replace the negative air spring assembly making sure the internal walls of the stanchion have no scoring / damage or have someone w/ suspension experience do the overhaul.

mtbr member
    One person who bought my rebuild kit had some problems with his after doing a rebuild. It was still leaking. He took it apart again and carefully inspected everything and found that the inside of the stanchions was worn badly. Dirt had gotten in there some how, was all we could figure out. Turns out that the wear patterns were different in each leg and he swapped the air and damper sides around. Worked like a charm. He now has his air on the righ and his MOCO on the left.

Brilliant solution!
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I think I found the problem!

The aluminum tube that the +/- air pistons plug into is damaged. I ordered a new one, so hopefully that will fix the problem.

I was thinking if this doesn't fix the leak would it be possible to convert this fork over to a coil?