Rediscovered

'06 Marzocchi Marathon SL - Lockout damaged?

I've got an '06 Marz Marathon SL installed on my bike - today on the way back from the trail, while I was on the road, I locked out the fork so I could stand up and mash my way up an asphalt hill.

However - when I stood up to pedal, I noticed the fork was acting like the TST wasn't even set to lock out the travel - in fact, it seems as though the TST has no effect on damping whatsoever, regardless of what position I put it in.

I've only ever used the lockout on fireroad climbs and road climbs, never on the trail... so I'm not sure why it would suddenly fail to work. Most of the time I have the TST set to the first two positions, I've never needed anything other than that.

I've played with the TST pressure, and nothing seems to affect it. Is it safe to assume my TST module has failed, and thus my fork is junk? Anyone else out there who has suffered a similar problem?

At this point, I'm not looking to shell out major money for a new TST module, as I'm planning on building a new bike this winter.

Rediscovered
    Really... nothing?

Rediscovered
    Anyways, after quite a few hours of searching through google results and bouncing some ideas off of a buddy down at the LBS, a simple oil change and TST service should solve my issue, as it seems I have gotten air into my TST cartridge.
    Last edited by Zillon; 10-09-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Rediscovered
    And here's the culprit - the TST bladder ruptured.

I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to build a 29er.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier, I've had to bleed my tst5 cartridge a couple times to get the lockout working again, but if the bladder is ruptured there is nothing you can do until you can get a hold of spare parts from marzocchi, which may or may not be cost effective, It cost me about $140 to have marzocchi rebuild my fork with new seals when the bladder in my fork blew.

Rediscovered
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier, I've had to bleed my tst5 cartridge a couple times to get the lockout working again, but if the bladder is ruptured there is nothing you can do until you can get a hold of spare parts from marzocchi, which may or may not be cost effective, It cost me about $140 to have marzocchi rebuild my fork with new seals when the bladder in my fork blew.
    Aye, that's what I figured was the problem, that an air bubble had formed and was preventing the lockout, so I tore the whole unit down and I was going to replace the oil while I was at it. Unfortunately, I found that the rubber had slipped out of the bottom aluminum sleeve and was allowing oil to leak out and air to leak in.

I'm not going to even try getting ahold of a new cartridge from Marzocchi, I can't imagine how much they'd try to charge me for that. I'm just going to chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on to something more tried and true.

On the upside - I didn't pay the full $600+ MSRP for the fork either, I picked it up secondhand off a friend in January for $200. I was planning on building a new bike this fall, anyway... I'm just glad that the TST cartridge blew on me and not after I parted out my 26'er. I'd be pissed to have to pay someone back for a faulty fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Would it be possible to reset the bladder in the cartridge?

TST has always had issues, and I don't understand why Marzocchi continues to use it. They really need upgrade they're entire range of damping technology in general. My suggestion would have been to replace the entire fork if you could.

It sometimes takes a couple days to get an answer on here if you ask a specific question. Be patient.

Rediscovered
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Would it be possible to reset the bladder in the cartridge?

TST has always had issues, and I don't understand why Marzocchi continues to use it. They really need upgrade they're entire range of damping technology in general. My suggestion would have been to replace the entire fork if you could.

It sometimes takes a couple days to get an answer on here if you ask a specific question. Be patient.
    I tried taking a small jeweler's screwdriver and pushing the rubber bladder back into the aluminum sleeve, but after filling the TST cartridge back up with oil, and cycling the piston a few times, it started to come back out again.

I was never able to get it fully seated into the sleeve, either.

I think that TST itself is a clever idea, however not one that seems to have a place in the world of mountain biking. Too much abuse for something that seems so delicate.

And I don't even abuse my bike, that's the horrible part.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    All the new tst cartridges have done away with the rubber bladder, but it is still inferior to rc2 or rc3. FYI the fox 36 and I think the 40 also use a rubber bladder in thier cartridge, which eliminates the need for an ifp (internal floating piston), but I haven't heard of any problems with their's leaking..

Rediscovered
    Well, I was going to go with Fox - I was going to order a GF X-Cal this winter through a sponsorship deal with my LBS, but these fork issues have prompted me to start my 29er buildup plans a little sooner than I had expected.

So... I'll be going with a RS Reba SL, and pairing it up with a Niner EMD.