mtbr member
    Nov 2004

'06 Marzocchi 66 RC2X with odd noise

I have an '06 (170mm) 66 RC2X that feels and performs like a champ, but it does have an odd sound during the rebound stroke. If I crank up the rebound damping near max the sound goes away, but obviously the fork isn't rideable with this setting.

As my friend describes it, my fork sound like a fresh pair of cords on the first day of junior high

I have changed the oil and double checked oil volumes and everything looks right. The settings that feel good on the fork right now are 5 clicks of low speed compression, 2 clicks of high speed, and 3 or 4 clicks of rebound (I can double check this tonight).

Any ideas on why it's making this noise?

BL
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Couple easy ones..

My '06 Zoke with a moderate amount of rebound damping makes a similar sound combined with a slight straw-sucking-at-the-last-bit-of-a-milkshake sound. It's a squishy, muffled, trilly, tweety bird sound, yes?

I believe this to be the sound of a buttery open bath system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Most likely, it's either the spring coils binding on the adapters (grind down the adapters slightly), or the coils hitting the stanchion (put heat shrink tubing over the middle of the spring).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've seen the heat-shrink trick on the coils so I'll give that a try. What adapters are you referring to? The seat where the coil mates to the top cap?
    MCM #269

Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My shivers make the same noise, as do my friend's 888's.I think it's the open bath damper.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I have an 07 am1 with an RC2 cartridge installed. It started making sorta a slushey squeeky sound on rebound stroke, called Ronnie @ zoke, he said most likely needed service/oil change.
    Ended up doing that myself, noise gone, maybe worn out lube?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's a fresh change of oil done as soon as I got the forks (bought used). I tried the heatshrink trick but the heatshrink I got must be too thick as when it was too snug to get the spring back in to the stanchions after putting it on. Yes I shrunk it as much as possible and could easily see the coils imprint in the tubing before trying to slide it in. I guess I'll try to source some thinner tubing from somewhere else.

Yep, it's still making the same noise, but feels buttery smooth.
    MCM #269

Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust View Post
    I have an '06 (170mm) 66 RC2X The settings that feel good on the fork right now are 5 clicks of low speed compression, 2 clicks of high speed, and 3 or 4 clicks of rebound (I can double check this tonight).

Any ideas on why it's making this noise?

BL
    1st off- red knob top left is compression at the end of stroke.
    knob on bottom is compression.(no high speed/ low speed)

Almost sounds like the spring is rubbing on the white plastic spring holder.
    Is it just a noise or can you feel it?

Check this thread, it may help
    Fixing your 66rc2x or 888rc2x

Congats on buying what is probably the best fork of all time!
    Ride the piss out of it

sam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sammer View Post
    1st off- red knob top left is compression at the end of stroke.
    knob on bottom is compression.(no high speed/ low speed)

Almost sounds like the spring is rubbing on the white plastic spring holder.
    Is it just a noise or can you feel it?

Check this thread, it may help
    Fixing your 66rc2x or 888rc2x

Congats on buying what is probably the best fork of all time!
    Ride the piss out of it

sam
    I definitely can't feel it, just hear it. It feels and performs great but one of my riding buddies keeps making jokes about cords on the first day of school .

I tried putting some heat shrink mid way down the coils but it turns out the stuff I found was too thick and there wasn't enough room between the coils and the inside of the stanchion to get things back together. I'm going to try a section of roadie inner tube which might be a little thinner to see if that works. While it's apart I'll check the spring spacers like in the other thread. Thanks for pointing this out, I was searching the forums without much luck last fall.
    MCM #269

Pick 2."

staike
    Ride it and it will go away. Mine made the sound in the winter when I didn't use the bike, but quickly disappeared after I started using it regularly. And yeah, the swhoosh sound is the open bath.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Pretty much normal for that damper, oil level might be slightly to low so the cavitation is creating bubbles or the oil you serviced it with is prone to bubbles.

06 66's still going, my much lower down the line 06 AM2's didn't last 6months impressed hugely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just bought a 2007 Marzo AM 1 (oem) off of ebay in mint condition. It looks really great I have not ridden it yet but I noticed when I turn the fork upside down it makes a noise and you can feel something slide down on the rebound side. It kinda sounds like that kids toy thats a tube and you turn it upside down and it makes that funny noise only not as loud. When you turn the fork back around you can hear it again. Does anyone know what it might be? Is it normal? plz give me some input and ideas it is driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyL76 View Post
    I just bought a 2007 Marzo AM 1 (oem) off of ebay in mint condition. It looks really great I have not ridden it yet but I noticed when I turn the fork upside down it makes a noise and you can feel something slide down on the rebound side. It kinda sounds like that kids toy thats a tube and you turn it upside down and it makes that funny noise only not as loud. When you turn the fork back around you can hear it again. Does anyone know what it might be? Is it normal? plz give me some input and ideas it is driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!
    The noise comes from the open bath's oil. It is totally normal. Do yourself a favor and change the oil of your new fork. Doing it a couple times a season will keep the fork running forever. It is quite simple to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    The noise comes from the open bath's oil. It is totally normal. Do yourself a favor and change the oil of your new fork. Doing it a couple times a season will keep the fork running forever. It is quite simple to do.
    I hope thats all it is. What gets me is if I put my hand on the lower leg where the noise is coming from, I can feel something sliding back and forth! Maybe its the oil pushing through the mechanicals!