squish is good

New question here. 05 Swinger 3-way damping vs. PUSHed RP3

How does the SPV damping system on the Swinger relate to their other damping methods (TPC+, Intrinsic, etc.)? I'm only asking because I'm a little disappointed in how my PUSHed RP3 is performing compared to my old swinger 3-way. I will admit I was expecting some kind of insanely ridiculous change in the way my rear suspension felt after getting the RP3 and sending it off to PUSH but it feels almost crummier than my Swinger. I'm not trying to dig at PUSH, the RP3 performed poorly which was what influenced my decision to send it off to PUSH in the first place. Now in comparison my PUSHed RP3 feels okay compared to the swinger which feels really good. Maybe it's just familiarity but I'm a little dissapointed after hearing all the hype and spending the cash that the "Manipoo" rear shock still feels like its outperforming the highly touted wonder-Fox thats been custom tuned for me.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Different riding styles & frame applications factor in. I rode a DHX-A equipped SC Nomad I felt it was a poor match for the frame having a super soft mid-stroke. The owner of the bike commented it was super plush. I realized everyone can interpret suspension action differently. Most SPV Manitou's I have used felt over-dampened for the applications (frame's) iused them on. Most Fox air shock's I have used felt kinda dead in the mid-stoke. Just about every coil (aside from SPV units) felt much better than any air. I'd suggest contacting PUSH and relating what exactly your RP3 isn't doing well and maybe they can adjust. PUSH told me my expecatations on a re-worked Fox air would be better solved by using a coil as their performance surpasses that of air shocks. What is your current shock lacking ?

squish is good
    Well, the overdamped feeling may be what I'm missing! I'm running it on an '05 Reign and the RP3 just feels like it blows all the way through the travel on even the smallest drops. I swapped to the smallest air can and pointed out that I use the bike for very aggressive riding before having PUSH work on it. I'll definitely give them a call regarding the damping but I kind of feel like I'm just trying to make it feel more like my old swinger... which begs the question why did I spend all this money in the first place! A coil is an option for this frame but they are tough to find, you need a pre-07 Vanilla R but I am a poor college student and would have to scrounge for a couple months to come up with the scratch for another rear shock.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had an 06' Reign with the 2.25" stroke Swinger for 6.75" of travel. You are right that the Swinger has a lot more dampning feel on that bike. I came off a Float equipped 5.6" Heckler and thought the Reign was dampened quite a bit thru the shock's stroke. My used Reign frameset actually had a Vanilla R coil but I swapped it for the Swinger before I hit the trails. Kind of a big drawback you can't run different shocks like a DHX-C or Manitou ISX-6. I'd have PUSH mod it some more to make it liveable and look for a coil down the line.

squish is good

*update*

I think I got it ironed out myself, turns out the air pressure spring rate calculator in my head sucks. I went from running about 175 psi in the chamber up to 210 psi and WOW! The shock came alive. Kind of weird, the sag seemed to be within the same 2-3mm range in that entire 35 psi change but after the spring rate came up the shock started working properly. The platform went from squishy to just right and the compression damping feels fast but the spring ramps up really nice at the end of the stroke. I'm thinking I still have it set up a bit soft but it feels great! Consider any and all questioning of a Pushed RP3 being compared to a Swinger 3-way hereby withdrawn. There is no comparison!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Clutchman

What you should now be feeling is the RP23 staying high in its travel until you hit something, then it accesses travel as needed. There should be no wallowing of that shock if set up properly. BTW, I have a PUSHed Float on each of four bikes.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett